Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone figured ot the part number for the battery cable clips to attach it to the firewall? The Honda parts diagram is hard to make out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind. When you buy a Honda replacement positive battery cable, is comes as a complete assembly with all the clips already attached in the right places.

My positive battery clamp was almost completely corroded through and wouldn't clamp tight anymore. The poor connection caused the battery to spew acid and finally left the wife stranded.

I tried a universal replacement clamp from the parts store, but it didn't fit very well. A new Honda cable assembly was only $33 and simple to install.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
I just installed an OEM Honda positive cable assembly on our 98 Accord. Same experiences, has all the clips. Really, a great value.

OF

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
It wasn't the coroded cable that caused the battery problem. The corrosion is caused by leakage around the post over a period of time. Any time you see the battery connector corroding it is an indication it is time to replace the battery. Cheap batteries are usually the cause of this and Honda uses one of the worse.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That's what I initially thought. 2 year old Diehard tested OK though. When I replaced the corroded battrery terminal with the universal one, the acid spewing immediatelly stopped. The metal around the original positive clamp was very thin in one spot and was not readily apparent.

Remember the battery in any automobile plays a major part in voltage regulation. The altenator's voltage regulator can only turn the alternator fully on or fully off. This on-off cycling occurs many times per second; on at around 13.5 V, off at around 14.5V (or whatever Honda's specs are). The constant charging/discharging of the battery helps smooth out these voltage variations.

If you put an oscilliscope on the field terminal, you can see the regulator doing its job. You will see a square wave that turns on and off at seemingly random intervals and for varying times.

With the loose connection the alternator's voltage regulator could not properly sense the battery voltage, causing an overvoltage condition. This will cause electrolysis of the water in the battery which will resuslt in acid spewing out of the caps. I also lost 3 instrument panel bulbs over time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts