Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery isn't seeing 14+v that alternator is producing so I'm wondering if ELD system may be culprit since I'm only getting 24mo out of last battery for my 2016 Ody EX-L

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
14v is typically only after a cold start and the initial voltage. If you’d testing after a warm start the alter may not be pushing it hard.

24 months is a bit short but in heat or extreme cold it will reduce the life. Also what brand of battery are you using? Makes a difference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using TopDon batt gauge, battery under charge showing -13.8v, with loads. Reading +14.3v directly from alternator. Cleaned & reseated neg terminal at frame connection but no corrosion. Mild weather in So Cal isn't a concern for battery life.

·
Registered
14,724 Posts
I just replace my OEM battery with one from Costco.
While SoCal can be mild, the old adage still applies: The heat in the summer is what kills the battery but it isn't until it gets cold that it shows the damage. Or something like that.

4 years is what a battery will last in one of these things, no matter where you live.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,659 Posts
I just replace my hem battery with one from Costco.
While SoCal can be mild, the old adage still applies: The heat in the summer is what kills the battery but it isn't until it gets cold that it shows the damage. Or something like that.

4 years is what a battery will last in one of these things, no matter where you live.
The adage I've been told goes, "A battery is killed in the summer but it doesn't fall over until the winter."

My factory battery made it just over 4-1/2 years. Replaced it with an AGM unit from Costco nearly a year ago.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
May have stumbled on the answer to the low charge issue. I removed the negative ground, sanded the chassis and sprayed some contact cleaner on the lug surfaces & retested the battery.
No visible corrosion on the 6" cable or the lugs so it must have just been paint or grease on the bolt threads. Hopefully I'll get at least 36+months on this battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts