Honda Odyssey Forum banner

81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
... I now believe everyone should have one of those battery conditioner/chargers. The batteries of yesteryear never needed maintenance because they only needed to support the starter - not all this background computer and security system crap.
Man, I am a believer in that! This thread definitely validates that thinking as well. I purchased a Schumacher automated 3A maintainer for my Odyssey. I purchased another automated maintainer, and kept my lawn tractor's battery healthy for seven years. Considering that the tractor gets used for about half a year, then just sits for half a year, wash-repeat, year after year, that's an achievement for a teeny little low-tech FLA battery.

I'd use any of the high-quality brands mentioned in this thread. As well, I bought three more maintainers, and sometimes have all the cars hooked up on very cold winter nights. SW Oklahoma, most of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada get brutally hot summers and then swing to snowy winters. Car batteries get a lifespan-depleting workout here.

OF

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Excellent post, Odyfamily.

My friend who sold me my Noco said (tongue in cheek) that he shouldn't really sell these conditioners because it cuts his battery sales down. He believes people are getting four or five times more life out of their batteries because of these conditioners. It makes sense because the only charge our batteries get is when we're running hundreds of dollars worth of fuel through the engine - well perhaps not these days. The house electricity cost to run one of these puppies must be substantially less - perhaps $30 per year if it was on all the time? That's a wild guess. It would also depend on your cost per kilowatt/hour. All the same...

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Final post. Here is the complete five-day record. There is an unexplained slight increase in the CRV voltage on April 21. The CRV has not been started since the test began. Who knows? Thanks, you've been a great audience :D!

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Perhaps I can simplify it, Airforceb2cc . The CRV was outside in temperatures ranging from -5C to 8C (23F to 46F). The Ody was in the garage at a constant 7C (45F), except for one errand outside at 3C (37F) for about an hour. I drove it about 4 km. The CRV faired very well despite never being started and subjected to a much wider temperature range. The Ody was more "babied" and suffered a larger voltage drop. It showed a slow but steady decline over five days.

I could repeat the test with the two cars reversed - the Ody outside and CRV in the garage but there's little point. I think we can conclude that both batteries essentially work all right but the Ody drains its battery much faster due to all the electronic crap and therefore must be driven on a regular basis or have a battery maintainer attached once per week.

Let me know if you need any further ideas tested, Airforceb2cc :).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Voltages for your Ody are interesting. Our 2019 EX has a FLA battery like you have and when I measured it engine off, the voltage was 11.9V. After going to 3 nearby places, the engine off voltage was 12.28V. It looks like from your readings that the voltage for our battery will drop back down to 11.9V after our van sits for a few days. I'll check the voltage for our van again after 4 idle days and post the result.

It would be nice to know what the engine off voltage for others with FLA batteries is after their van sits idle for 4+ days. Also for those with AGM batteries. Maybe the result can prompt those with FLA batteries to replace them with AGM batteries when their FLA battery needs to be replaced.
After 4 days of not driving our EX, the voltage went from 12.28V to 11.98V. From Hodna's results and now my mini result, it looks like FLA batteries won't hold charges above 11.9 volts.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Interesting, Raptor. I decided to put my charger back on the car today. I don't want the voltage to drop too far.

One point of interest - that erratic seatbelt chime I was getting during low voltage conditions has stopped now that the battery is more up to par. Could it be that Honda designed it like that as a way of warning us that our batteries could be low? I doubt it :D!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Interesting, Raptor. I decided to put my charger back on the car today. I don't want the voltage to drop too far.

One point of interest - that erratic seatbelt chime I was getting during low voltage conditions has stopped now that the battery is more up to par. Could it be that Honda designed it like that as a way of warning us that our batteries could be low? I doubt it :D!
I just ordered an accessory power outlet voltmeter. I plan to leave it plugged into our Ody's accessory power outlet to keep an eye on the van's voltage. Super cheap at $3.14 including shipping from China.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
4 Posts
Definitely, use you current charger to get the battery voltage up if needed, but don't leave it connected long term.

Moving forward, I would strongly recommend buying a battery maintainer instead of using a standard trickle/charger.
A standard charger continuously charges, regardless of battery level, which can "cook" the battery.

I would suggest a charger which is intended for maintaining a battery in long term storage and are usually used for motorcycles, classic cars, etc.

I have the same problem as you, one of our vehicles currently isn't being used much.
I have this charger:
battery tender
I think it comes with one set of ring terminals, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to purchase one for each vehicle, then simply plug the charger in instead of messing with alligator clamps.
additional ring terminals

Shumacher seems to make a good one as well:
schumacher
Bandit - since I did not do well in college physics (LOL) can you please comment what and amperage you recommend? I see in another post a link to a 3 AMP "extender/maintainer" How is this different than in this thread with links to 1.5 AMP "tender"; just want to make sure what I need to order to keep my Ody & Tundra truck batteries charged, now sitting around with parasitic current draw draining them!

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Hi Bandit. I too just passed physics, so I'm not a wizz kid either :D.

As far as I know, you don't need to worry so much about buying a charger/maintainer that is over-rated for your battery. These devices will only give your battery what it can handle and then stop. Perhaps someone else can chime in on this.

My service manager told me the Noco Genius 5 that I bought is perfect for my battery, which is an FLA type. It is also good for AGM batteries that come with the upper trim levels. I've used it twice now on both cars and it completely restores the batteries in three hours or less. I don't need to worry if I forget to unplug it. It will just sit and do nothing.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have the battery Tender JR (1.25 amp), which was purchased for my motorcycle years ago.
Since my wife is a teacher, our van is only occasionally used for short local trips.

I started a ritual of plugging in the tender on Friday afternoon, and leaving it plugged in all weekend.
It usually takes 6-10 hours before the maintainer goes from "charging" to charging/maintaining. Then another 6+ hours before it goes to the final "maintaining" stage.

So, the battery is definitely low, and it takes a while for the maintainer to bring the battery back up to normal voltage. A maintainer with a larger current capacity would bring the battery back up to normal voltage quicker. Keep in mind that these chargers are not meant to be used to jump start a dead/low battery, so a high current is not needed. Those are different use, much larger chargers.

Basically, any of the maintainers mentioned in this thread would be highly recommended. I don't think there is a bad one in the group.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Agreed, Bandit. One thing I noticed was that the Lock Confirm beep is much louder now that my battery is up to full steam. It's shocking the little amount of time it takes for our batteries to drop down to the point of almost failing us. If you live in an extremely cold climate, the drain is even worse.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Great thread thanks everybody for the info! I've been driving the Odyssey at least once a week to try to keep things going. Just checked my battery with a multimeter and it was 11.66V. Going to drive it to work today 30 minutes each way hopefully to charge it up.

After reading this thread I just ordered a Noco Genius 5, will be here Friday!

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Good to hear from you, Hodog16. You'll love the Genius 5. It works great!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just as an update, very satisfied with the Noco! It's perfect for what I want--a charger and a maintainer thats easy to use and no fuss.

After my last post the Odyssey sat for a day. Voltage was 11.88V. Then I drove yesterday for about 20 minutes to get some take out and this morning it was 11.99V.

I have the AGM battery and hooked up the charger at 10 AM. My battery had less than 25% charge. After a few hours it was quickly up to 75% and then is fully charged now, measuring 12.66V. (y)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just as an update, very satisfied with the Noco! It's perfect for what I want--a charger and a maintainer thats easy to use and no fuss.

After my last post the Odyssey sat for a day. Voltage was 11.88V. Then I drove yesterday for about 20 minutes to get some take out and this morning it was 11.99V.

I have the AGM battery and hooked up the charger at 10 AM. My battery had less than 25% charge. After a few hours it was quickly up to 75% and then is fully charged now, measuring 12.66V. (y)
Hodog16,

Congrats on your success with your new charger/maintainer.

Since you have an AGM battery, could you please take some voltage readings when you let your van sit for a few days without driving it? From Hodna's and my experiences our FLA batteries seem to want to discharge down to below 12 volts when sitting idle for a few days. I really would like to know if AGM batteries have a similar behavior.

Thanks!

81 - 100 of 125 Posts