Honda Odyssey Forum banner

101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Yes, that is a good idea Raptor88. It would be interesting to compare the two types of batteries.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
4 Posts
Definitely, use you current charger to get the battery voltage up if needed, but don't leave it connected long term.

Moving forward, I would strongly recommend buying a battery maintainer instead of using a standard trickle/charger.
A standard charger continuously charges, regardless of battery level, which can "cook" the battery.

I would suggest a charger which is intended for maintaining a battery in long term storage and are usually used for motorcycles, classic cars, etc.

I have the same problem as you, one of our vehicles currently isn't being used much.
I have this charger:
battery tender
I think it comes with one set of ring terminals, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to purchase one for each vehicle, then simply plug the charger in instead of messing with alligator clamps.
additional ring terminals

Shumacher seems to make a good one as well:
schumacher
Thanks for the link! I ordered the maintainer.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sounds good, I'll measure around the same time each day and report back later this week.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hodna, Hotdog16 or anyone who has installed a pigtail cable for a battery charger/maintainer:

When you removed the nuts on the battery connectors to install your pigtail, did the battery disconnect from the van resulting in loss of computer and radio memory?

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
No, mine didn't lose power, although now that you mention it I can see the possibility of it happening.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I haven't used the pigtail. With a bit of care, could you temporarily jumper the negative cable to the chassis in order to fool it into thinking that nothing has happened or changed?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I haven't used the pigtail. With a bit of care, could you temporarily jumper the negative cable to the chassis in order to fool it into thinking that nothing has happened or changed?
Yes, I'm thinking about making and hooking up a memory saver to try to avoid memory loss but wanted to check here first whether it would be worthwhile.

I just received my CTEK battery charger/maintainer and need to install the pigtail cable for it. Would hate to have our van lose it's computer memory and have to go through all of the "learning" processes again. Losing radio presets would not be as bad but would be a pain to have to set up again. Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,948 Posts
If you don't actually remove the terminals from the battery posts you won't lose your continuous connection. The nuts aren't necessary to keep the current flowing - you can take them off and put them back on without any issues.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you don't actually remove the terminals from the battery posts you won't lose your continuous connection. The nuts aren't necessary to keep the current flowing - you can take them off and put them back on without any issues.
Hi CroMath,
Thanks for your input.

After analyzing the ground connection for our 2019 Ody EX, it looks like the battery ground connection could be lost if the nut is removed to install a pigtail. That nut is used to secure the short (about 6 inches long), heavy ground cable that goes from the current sensor on the negative battery terminal to the van's frame. It's separate from the nut that secures the negative terminal clamp to the battery post.

Guess I'll play it safe and use a car memory saver when I install the charger/maintainer's pigtail.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hodna, Hotdog16 or anyone who has installed a pigtail cable for a battery charger/maintainer:

When you removed the nuts on the battery connectors to install your pigtail, did the battery disconnect from the van resulting in loss of computer and radio memory?
I posted a picture of my pigtail connection in another thread. The negative is straightforward, the positive connects as shown in the picture.
battery maintainer

The vehicle does not lose power when the connections are made. However, there is no need to worry about losing radio etc because all of these are stored in memory and are retained.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I posted a picture of my pigtail connection in another thread. The negative is straightforward, the positive connects as shown in the picture.
battery maintainer

The vehicle does not lose power when the connections are made. However, there is no need to worry about losing radio etc because all of these are stored in memory and are retained.
Yes, I saw that picture of your pigtail connection to your battery terminal. Thanks for posting it.

Did not know that the Ody's radio has non-volatile memory that retains the settings with battery power disconnected. Thanks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Here's the two day result of charging our 2019 EX's battery.

May 8, 12:30 am = 12.98 volts.
May 8, 11:20 am = 12.76 volts
May 9, 11:00 am = 12.35 volts

Wife needs some groceries so gotta drive our van. Will have to recharge when I return home and restart a 4 day no driving battery monitor.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Here's my log, I didn't quite do it as religiously as I should but it's a good idea so far:
5/3 6 PM 12.67V (after charging)

5/5 6 PM 12.12V
5/6 6 PM 12.09V

5/8 12 PM 12.03V
5/9 12 PM 12.00V

Looks like a big drop initially but since then it's leveled off. I'll try to avoid driving the van for awhile to see if it keeps that trend going for awhile.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Updated results of our 2019 EX battery charge:
May 07, evening Charged battery
May 08, 12:30 am = 12.98 volts.

May 08, 11:20 am = 12.76 volts
May 09, 11:00 am = 12.35 volts
May 09, Drove van 6 miles round trip
May 09, Charged battery
May 09, 08:00 pm = 13.60

May 10, 12:15 am = 12.71
May 12, Drove van 6 miles round trip
May 13, 01:00 pm = 12.28
May 13, 01:01 pm = 12.04 (With driver's door open to turn on running lights)
May 13, 01:02 pm = 12.27 (Closed driver's door. Running lights off. Voltage gradually increased to 12.27v)

Looks like our 2019 EX van's battery might be able to hold a charge of about 12.28 volts with motor off and not driven for a few days. Will have to not drive it for about 4-5 days to really see what happens. Maybe Hodna's battery, being a year older in his 2018 EX, has less capability to hold a charge above 12 volts.

Raptor88

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Hi everyone,
Thanks for posting your results. For some reason, I was never informed of these post updates by email like I normally am.

It appears that the Honda battery discharges fairly quickly. I assume it's due to the security system and computer. The car always starts well even below 12 volts. The only time I have trouble starting the car below 12 volts is when the temperature has dropped well below freezing. As mentioned earlier, I get a warning from my seatbelt chime that the battery is getting low. It dings randomly several times in a row very quickly when my battery is low. It does that because I always start my car and then use the time it takes to buckle up to let the oil circulate throughout the engine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
5/15/20 - Updated results of our 2019 EX battery charge:
May 07, evening Charged battery
May 08, 12:30 am = 12.98 volts.
May 08, 11:20 am = 12.76 volts
May 09, 11:00 am = 12.35 volts
May 09, Drove van 6 miles round trip
May 09, Charged battery
May 09, 08:00 pm = 13.60
May 10, 12:15 am = 12.71
May 12, Drove van 6 miles round trip
May 13, 01:00 pm = 12.28
May 13, 01:01 pm = 12.04 (With driver's door open to turn on running lights)
May 13, 01:02 pm = 12.27 (Closed driver's door. Running lights off. Voltage gradually increased to 12.27v)
May 14, 11:30 am = 12.13
May 15, 12:45 pm = 12.16
  • (Was 12.12v right after running lights went off due to opening the driver’s door. Voltage gradually increased to 12.16v one minute later.)
May 15, 02:45 pm = 12.38
  • (Voltage reading taken without having to open the driver's door which turns on the running lights, since I had not closed the hood all the way after the 12:45 pm reading of 12.16 volts.)
............................................…

Notes:
  1. The May 14 voltage reading of 12.13 volts was probably taken soon after the running lights went off due to opening the driver's door to open the hood latch. If I had waited longer, then the voltage probably would have been a bit higher.
  2. The May 15 voltage of 12.38 was taken "without opening the driver's door" since I had not closed the hood all the way after the 12:45 pm reading of 12.16 volts.
So to get more meaningful, accurate voltage readings, it's best to not close the hood all the way so it can be opened for subsequent voltage readings on following days without having to open the driver's door which turns on the running lights. (Will have to remember to close the hood all the way before driving the van though. Maybe leave a note in front of the odometer.)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Since charging on 5/3 the van has sat. I got a low battery warning yesterday (5/15), so ended up charging it back up to 12.6V again. So it took 12 days to go from full to low for an AGM battery that's 3 years old.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Since charging on 5/3 the van has sat. I got a low battery warning yesterday (5/15), so ended up charging it back up to 12.6V again. So it took 12 days to go from full to low for an AGM battery that's 3 years old.
Thank you very much for sharing that info. It will add to the knowledge bank when members of this forum need to have their van's battery replaced. I will contribute info on our van's FLA battery (12 months old now) as appropriate.
Raptor88

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all. Read through the whole thread but still don’t really know what’s needed for my setup. I have an 19’ Elite, so I think the battery is a AMG type. I drive the van every 4-7 days and just had battery replaced under warranty.

The van is parked outside with no electrical socket nearby, so I’m thinking of solar panel (placed on the dash board) connected to a battery tender which will plug into the 12v socket outlet. What do you guys recommend and tried. Thanks a bunch.

101 - 120 of 125 Posts