Honda Odyssey Forum banner

121 - 125 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi all. Read through the whole thread but still don’t really know what’s needed for my setup. I have an 19’ Elite, so I think the battery is a AMG type. I drive the van every 4-7 days and just had battery replaced under warranty.

The van is parked outside with no electrical socket nearby, so I’m thinking of solar panel (placed on the dash board) connected to a battery tender which will plug into the 12v socket outlet. What do you guys recommend and tried. Thanks a bunch.
Is your 12v socket outlet still live when the van is off? Usually it is off, a solar charger will not work while using the 12v socket.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I thought that all accessory sockets are isolated by the main accessory power relay 20 minutes after the ignition is turned off or the driver door goes open?

·
Registered
447 Posts
A small solar panel may be your best option but it will need to be wired to the battery or to a connection in the cabin that is always powered. You can go looking for something you can tap off of which is inexpensive or get an ODB (diagnostic port) adapter that you can hook the panel to.

This one is for a battery charger to hook to the ODB port, cutting off the charger end and wiring to the panel would work or look for something similar but cheaper.

https://smile.amazon.com/NOCO-GC012-X-Connect-OBDII-Plug/dp/B009MI9JO4?ref_=ast_sto_dp

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just thought I'd mention that if anyone is working around the car's battery, like installing the pigtail for a charger/maintainer, be sure to remove all rings, bracelets or other jewelry. Where car batteries are concerned, it only takes a fraction of a second for a short circuit on jewelry to get a severe 3rd or 4th degree burn from instant red hot jewelry.

Take care,
Raptor88

·
Registered
10 Posts
121 - 125 of 125 Posts