Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

After reading some more timing belt threads, I gave it another shot. I used the battery clamp bolt to loosen the tensioner and now the bolt is bent and it's difficult to remove it. I am thinking about sawing off the end of it to lessen the length so I can get it off. Does anyone here have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I included a diagram of the batter bolt clamp. I thought I had to turn it until the tensioner compresses. I guess I was wrong and the now bolt is bent and I'm having a heck of a time trying to remove it. (orange arrow is where its bent)

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Egads. Mark the old belt and sprockets with liquid paper, then remove the old belt (after loosening the idler pulley bolt). Get the old belt off then remove the tensioner. Screw the tie-down bolt in *farther* to give yourself some room. Use a hacksaw (or Dremel?) to cut the bent part off, but make sure you are cutting where the threads are good. Then, back the tie-down bolt out using a pair of pliers. With a new tensioner piston you won't need the battery tie-down bolt as there will be a pin (that you have to remove after the belt is in place) that prevents the tensioner from pushing onto the belt.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Egads. Mark the old belt and sprockets with liquid paper, then remove the old belt (after loosening the idler pulley bolt). Get the old belt off then remove the tensioner. Screw the tie-down bolt in *farther* to give yourself some room. Use a hacksaw (or Dremel?) to cut the bent part off, but make sure you are cutting where the threads are good. Then, back the tie-down bolt out using a pair of pliers. With a new tensioner piston you won't need the battery tie-down bolt as there will be a pin (that you have to remove after the belt is in place) that prevents the tensioner from pushing onto the belt.
Thanks WG! I started this morning with a dremel and finally got that darn battery clamp bolt. Everything else was straight forward (I wouldn't recommend noobies doing this job, I had some help). With the exception of a dumb mistake on my part (forgot to plug sparkplug wire back into one socket) Car was stuttering real bad, CEL flashing. TCS light on. Code RED! Code RED!!! I stayed calm reopen the dummy hood and saw that the plug was only partially in. Reinserted the plug. Unplug Battery for 10 seconds. Restart car and light is off. Drove it around the block and it didnt come back on.

I think I did it! Thanks to OdyClub and a couple of friends!

Side notes on the job, please be sure to have the the necessary special tools or it will be a pain in the A** to complete. BTW I found the 50MM pulley holder socket at Kragen under the "loan-a-tool" (aka O'reilly). Saved me $28.

I was able to break the pulley bolt with the crank start trick but if I didnt have the 50mm socket, I dont think I wouldn't be able to tighten it back.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
My battery bolt broke when trying to push in the idler. I ended up removing it and putting it in a vice so I could stick an allen wrench in the hole to keep it compressed. The starter bump trick rocks. Good job on the swap, you are now good for many more miles/years. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts