Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been using a pocket starter to start our van for the last year. It has been seen by our longtime mechanic, as well as a highly rated area honda/acura shop, regarding a battery drain, doors and windows (except drivers) working only intermittently, door alarm staying on. Doors were fixed but windows still doing the same thing intermittently and still need to jump it at least every other time we use it, sometimes within the same day. Neither shop had a line on the problem. I need to direct their search if possible rather than spend hundreds more while they try to figure it out and I saw similar problems described here. Battery was fine late summer, wonder about now after all this jumpstarting. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Grab a couple multimeters if you don't have already and do it yourself, it's not hard and saves you time and aggravation paying people that don't know what they're doing (and it's supposed to be their profession...). You could do the draw test and tell the mechanic what circuit to focus on at a minimum.

This video is the best demo/explanation of the process that I've seen.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Have you looked at the drivers door master window switch? They are known to fail. Also thinking back to when this started what if any work was done? I replaced a bad starter a once on another vehicle and the new started the car but killed the battery overnight and was defected.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
The two most common causes for battery drain on our Odyssey's are the AC clutch relay and the side door rear latch module. You need to consider these as possibilities for the battery drain.

Given that you are having door lock, window, and alarm issues I would focus on both the drivers door master switch assembly (as suggested above) and also the drivers door lock actuator assembly (PN: 72155-S5P-A11; $58). I have had numerous issues with the driver's door locks and the alarm. I currenlty have the alarm system disabled by jumpering the hood switch so that the computer thinks the hood is always open and thus not arming the alarm system. I have replaced my door lock actuator twice already witin th epast 18 months and I think I need to do it again less than 6-months later as my door lock is randomly unlocking on it's own again while driving or parked. I think the root cause is moisture getting into the electronics. When the door unlocks on its own, the interior lights go on (unless you set the master light switch to off) and the alarm would go off - usually in the middle of the night! This can drain the battery. This has been a very frustrating issue on my Odyssey.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The two most common causes for battery drain on our Odyssey's are the AC clutch relay and the side door rear latch module. You need to consider these as possibilities for the battery drain.

Given that you are having door lock, window, and alarm issues I would focus on both the drivers door master switch assembly (as suggested above) and also the drivers door lock actuator assembly (PN: 72155-S5P-A11; $58). I have had numerous issues with the driver's door locks and the alarm. I currenlty have the alarm system disabled by jumpering the hood switch so that the computer thinks the hood is always open and thus not arming the alarm system. I have replaced my door lock actuator twice already witin th epast 18 months and I think I need to do it again less than 6-months later as my door lock is randomly unlocking on it's own again while driving or parked. I think the root cause is moisture getting into the electronics. When the door unlocks on its own, the interior lights go on (unless you set the master light switch to off) and the alarm would go off - usually in the middle of the night! This can drain the battery. This has been a very frustrating issue on my Odyssey.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. It is a puzzle. Started out with window problems over a year ago and used an aftermarket drivers door master switch, could that be the issue? Replaced the AC relay some time ago, no change. Need to check to see about the lock actuator. We are having lock problems all doors but drivers.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
One more thing to consider given multiple electrical issues is water intrusion affecting one of the MICU's (fuse blocks). I believe there are 4. One each side up front near the drivers dead pedal and a matching one on the passenger side. The rear ones are underneath trim panels each side, the drivers side just ahead of the spare tire and the passenger side near the rear HVAC unit. Mine didn't progress to a draw and the signs of a water issue were almost nil, but once I followed the service bulletin for the drivers side power door cable gasket all my electrical gremlin issues disappeared.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts