Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the Thanksgiving break, our kids' taxi was left in the garage on Tuesday night. We did not touch it until today (Saturday). The battery was drained, and I was not able to start it. Had to jump start using a battery charger.

Interesting note is that while the battery was empty, the sliding doors switched to manual operation. The buttons did not work until the doors were closed.

A battery trickle charger may be on my Christmas list now.

Has the battery drain happened to you?
If you're planning to let your Ody sit idle for a few days...

·
Registered
57 Posts
The stock battery is good for 2 years. After that you are on borrowed time. It's a small battery and that's the only problem I believe. Mine just died and wouldn't take a charge and it's a 2010. Got a diehard replacement for $100 or so and it's like 30% more CCA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just traded in our 09 for a 2012 due to battery related issues. 09 would start - four separate occasions, four different solutions, none of which made sense. The first time, Honda replaced the starter, second time they replaced the relay, third time the solenoid, and most recently said the battery died because you cannot listen to the radio for five minutes without the engine running. It is apparently a known issue which has been improved in the newer model, by alerting you that you are draining the battery. That said, we looked at the Sienna, but came back for our third Odyssey after realizing the many improvements in the 2012 model. I was initially disappointed with the nav no longer being touch screen, but the interface works well, if not better than the touch screen, and the voice activation works pretty well too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
We started carring a battery pack in the van at all times. The kids have a tendancy to turn on thier map lights and drain the battery in very cool and far away places.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem is that this van is only 6 months old - it's a 2011.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Did you check for lights left on, doors ajar, etc. I don't know about the newer models but on my 04 I leave the headlights turned to on all the time. They go out after 20 seconds normally but if a door is left ajar they stay on. Also overhead lights left on will drain the battery after several days. I also replaced my original battery of about 600 cca with one of over 800 cca. It sat for three weeks in an airport parking lot this summer and started right up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is in the manual (2012)
Looks like they will go out but if in the door activated position. If the switch is in the ON position for any of the interior lights it does not look like they will go out over time.

All Models
The interior lights go off immediately in the following
situations:​
•​
When you lock the driver's door.

•​
When you close the driver's door with the key in
the ignition switch.

•​
When you turn the ignition switch to ON
If you leave any of the doors open without the key in
the ignition switch, the interior lights go off after
about 15 minutes.
If you leave the tailgate open without the key in the
ignition switch, the cargo area light goes off after
about 30 minutes.

Models with multi-information display

·
Registered
45 Posts
i park my car in the garage for 2 months, the battery start up fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if I follow?
I pulled on the the sliding door handle and the door motor opened it. After I tried to start the engine, and the battery gave me that dying clickety click sound, the door motor disengaged and the sliding door became manual.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I pulled on the the sliding door handle and the door motor opened it. After I tried to start the engine, and the battery gave me that dying clickety click sound, the door motor disengaged and the sliding door became manual.

Got it, thanks, at least something decent. By the way, Did you get the low battery message when opening the door?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
First legit case of the battery actually being low?

Honestly something is a bit odd in your case. On 2 occasions our van was not started for 7-8 days and we had no problems.
Do you leave the keys in the ignition? Even in the off position, just wondering if they are in.

In our case the van was in he garage, unlocked no keys in it.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Yay, useless in this case though :(

Back on topic, get the dealer to check it, it is not normal. Sometimes my kids press the map lights on their way out and they stay on, but just for about 15 minutes as posted above

Battery should still be OK, and if it is found defective, dealer should replace fully, or at a prorated value at least.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sounds like you have some sort of short somewhere. There is no way a car can't be left for weeks or months without battery problems if all is well with the electrical system.

·
Registered
687 Posts
My battery completely died in May 2011 after not using the van for a mere 2 days. Here's what I wrote in the "car won't start" thread:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/149290-car-wont-start.html

Date: 05-15-2011

The same thing happened to us last weekend. My wife drove the van on Thursday and when we went to start it on Saturday afternoon, the battery was dead. She claims no lights were left on or doors were left open. We had to go somewhere so we transferred our baby seat and took the other car.

That evening, I tried jumping the dead battery with our other car using two different cables without success. We called CAA (AAA) and the technician arrived. He tried to jump the battery without success. He thought it might be the starter. Then he jumped it with his foot on the accelerator and the van finally started. He said the battery was in real bad shape. I drove the van around on local streets and the highway to charge up the battery. I drove the van back home and turned off the engine. When I started the van again, it did so without difficulty.

My wife took the van for service at the dealer on Monday. Dealer claims the battery was fine, but to appease the wife, he swapped the battery for a new one. The new battery has been working fine and we have not had any battery warning messages for a whole week now.

Look in the manual. Appearantly Honda offers warranty roadside assistance if you call their toll free number. No need to call call a tow truck?!? Well at lease that's what the dealer told my wife.

Good luck to you getting your battery problem resolved!

:mad:

Since receiving a new battery back in May, our battery has not died once and we've only received 1-2 low battery warning messages. *Knock on wood!

:rollingeyes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, it's raining here in San Diego, and our 2011 Touring is sitting dead in my drive way. It has been parked since Sunday night and it's Tuesday evening.

I have no idea if the rain somehow shorted something, or we left a light on. But I am 100% certain nothing was left on.

I have not tried jumping it because I don't have a jumper pack and can't fi a car past it in the drive way...

Once started it's going straight to the dealer. will keep you updated...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine did a similar thing. Jumped in it to go somewhere. Battery was dead as a door nail. Had to buckle my son up via the window as both sliding doors weren't working/ jammed.

The dealership told me that the battery was just "drained" and it wasn't the issue. But they replaced the battery as I seem to be a frequent flyer. Didn't leave anything on...

Going to trade it as soon as I find a decent alternative.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Do you know how long your car had been sitting in dealer's lot before you took delivery? It is not uncommon that the dealer did not follow the PDI to fully charge the battery before delivery so your battery might have already been drained quite a bit already. When the car runs at low rpm (stop and go city driving) and in particular, with the headlights on, you actually drain the batter slightly every time you drive. If you did not ride on the high way extensively since you took delivery of the car, your battery was probably drained substantially so it did not take long to die. Honda uses a 12V system but not the more common 12.6 v system. With all the electronics in the new car, its electric system is perhaps max out. If you do not drive regularly on highway for an extensive amount of time, it is a good idea to periodically put the battery on a trickle charger to top it off (and to see if it is drained). I have done so to save a battery in my BMW when the dealer said the battery was low in charge and needed to be replaced (for $500).

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
The stock battery is good for 2 years. After that you are on borrowed time. It's a small battery and that's the only problem I believe. Mine just died and wouldn't take a charge and it's a 2010. Got a diehard replacement for $100 or so and it's like 30% more CCA.
The stock Honda battery is POS but it is covered by a 3 year unlimited miles warranty. So, if your's dies within the first 3 years, I would take it in and get the free battery. I wouldn't pay a dime for the Honda battery but I would not pass up a free new replacement battery from 'em either.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts