Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very embarrassed to be asking this question, but I would rather ask than bust one of these things. We have an '02 RES van with the factory DVD system. When we picked it up, the saleperson had already installed the batteries in the wireless headphones for us, so I never even saw it done. My three additional ones arrived yesterday from Trevor, and... I can't seem to get the battery compartment doors to open!

I checked the owners manual, it seems to indicate they slide off, but when I apply quite a bit of force, they only move a tiny bit, and I'm afraid I'm going to break them before they open up. Plus, if I AM doing it right, how in the heck would someone of less than olympic strength ever get one of these things open?

Anyone that has done this themselves and has a helpful tip on what I might be doing wrong, I would sincerly appreciate it. Feel free to throw in any degrading comments about my physical abilities if you think that is necessary as well... :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, since I wasn't able to delete my embarrassing topic, I'll just post the solution as provided by Trevor, in case there is someone else out there as stupid as I: :)

The covers don't slide down to remove them, push in on the tab at the bottom and pull it outward at the same time to release it.

-Trevor

·
Registered
616 Posts
I do not consider you question embarrassing, because I have same problems with other electronics items. I find it total frustrating that I can not find the information in an owners manual or its directions are unclear. The adult proof (kid proof) battery compartments on the kids toys can be the biggest puzzle.

(begin venting)
I find the 2000 Odyssey owners manual to fall into my frustrating classification. The first 16% (54pgs) is filled with a lot of obvious driving safety info, and the owner is expected to read all the way to page 186 to the 'before driving' section before driving the van. How many owners do you think really read the 'break-in period' section buried in the middle of the manual before driving their new van. Really, why does things like HomeLink Universal directions come on page 95 long before the new owner directions.
(end venting)

BrianB

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the exact same problem last week when i got mine Viper. I ended up pulling it back as far as i could, and then sliding a dime in the crack to pry it open. I hope the batteries last a long time -- i couldn't believe how hard it was. (It took forever to get the back off the remote control too).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Terrapin:
I had the exact same problem last week when i got mine Viper. I ended up pulling it back as far as i could, and then sliding a dime in the crack to pry it open. I hope the batteries last a long time -- i couldn't believe how hard it was. (It took forever to get the back off the remote control too). </font>
Maybe I'm not so stupid afterall. The owner's manual definetly mentioned sliding the cover, so I thought I was doing good by going to the instruction manual before breaking it!

Thanks again to Trevor for the actual correct procedure.

Kyle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts