Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background first- 2003 Odyssey with 192,000 miles

Several months ago we started noticing random indicator lights coming on- ABS, TCS, and brake. It was infrequent until last week, when it became almost a daily occurrence. There was no issue with braking, and the lights would not remain on when the van was restarted. We also noticed that the speedometer needle would drop sometimes when I let off the gas pedal, and the engine light would flash on at the same time. Finally, the cruise control would intermittently stop or fail to engage, but that didn't happen as often.

Dealer suggested it could be battery or alternator (both of which I had read about on here!), so on Friday we had both replaced. Alternator was original one and battery was 3.5 years old. Dealer had also checked for loose wiring and found no issues.

So far, none of those symptoms have returned. But starting the very next day I now have new lights flashing at me- the battery and all of the door open lights. This specifically happens when I let up on the gas pedal, but not every time I take my foot off the gas pedal. These lights flash on for about 1 second and then go off. It happened 3-4 times yesterday on the way back to the garage, but they said the battery was fine. It happened 7-8 times this morning within just a few miles.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One additional piece of information, after seeing another related post- while I was at the dealership, they replaced the passenger side air bag due to recall. I saw that others posted a similar issue with these indicator lights after this replacement. However, the air bag was replaced on Thursday, then the battery and alternator on Friday, and then the lights started flashing on Saturday. Others who posted had not replaced their alternator yet, so it's not exactly the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same exact problem withy 2002 odessy... But I havent taken it in for the air bag recall... Just wondering if you ever figured out the problem? I took it to the mechanic and they said cant find anything wrong and that I would have to wait til the lights stay on... Im not tryna wait for that and get stuck... I want to fix the problem.. So any help would be appreciated...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Shouting?? Hoping to find a fix for the same issue. Replaced alt. New batt. And still have same issue.
MamaBear, when you write in all CAPS, it is considered to be shouting at others, and most folks are turned off by it.

Reactions: dvpatel

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
And Mamabear, you may want to post more info. With your alternator replacement- was it a Denso remanufactured alternator? Or an auto parts store with lifetime warranty- most people end up having to replace those frequently!
What are your symptoms you are having? Do you also have the dash lights flashing when letting up on the gas as the OP had posted?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
So you replaced your alternator in your 2003(?) Ody with a no-name alternator? Most people find that only Denso alternator works best. Anything else you'll be replacing it soon. If the Denso alternator was rebuilt by either Denso or a reputable shop, then the reman is not junk! The autoparts store no-names are junk for your Ody.
I had issues with my ignition cylinder where the ignition would cut out completely when driving.
But since you say that while driving, the lights on the dash board go dim or off- that may point directly to the non-OEM alternator.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Not helping, Pixburd. At least now the Momabear is giving the information on her issue. To me it sound like the alternator would be suspect, and not supplying proper voltage .

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
It's not that they are damaged. It's just that they usually don't work as well as the Denso. Have you measured the voltage? If I remember correctly, you should be reading 14 volts at the battery with the engine running. There are many threads discussing how to diagnose the alternator. Looks can be deceiving!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Start the car and get a reading on the battery how much voltage the alternator is putting out. Then turn on the headlights bright and the ac and the rear ac. Check the reading on the battery again.

Regarding bad batch of alternator happens from time to time. Its usually a component inside like the voltage regulator fails. Or the rectifier diodes. And when it gets noisy the bearings.

·
Registered
849 Posts
If the voltage drops down to 12 volts when everything is on then the alternator is not putting out what it should. Hence the bat light is on. You maybe draining your battery running the car with the bat light on. Eventually you'll be stranded with a dead battery. On the flip side, if the voltage bump up to 15-16 volts then its too much for the system and its no good as well. Thats the voltage regulator not regulating within specs.

·
Super Moderator
13,875 Posts
I didn't ask for a lecture on computer typing edicate. But thanks so much! The world is a better place. I think you are posting in the wrong place. People looking for auto advice on their ody... Ergo odyclub... If u want to be AN ANNOYING PITA and nag about what "turns people on/ off" maybe you should be posting on *youAREanANNOYINGtwat. Com 👍

I'm trying to fix my car kiddo. Why are you even here bugging me FR if you have NO advice on what is causing the lights to malfunction on my Odyssey?!!?!
Mamabear, just because you are a mamabear doesn't mean you need to always be in your bear mode. He is right that typing in all caps is not nice and is indeed considered as yelling. Please calm down a bit and please stop with the kiddo/sweety etc. You do need help and arguing with someone who is actually right might drive others to not respond at all and you want all the knowledgeable folks to respond to get to your solution in the fastest way possible.

·
Super Moderator
13,875 Posts
Some people are beyond help.

·
Super Moderator
13,875 Posts
Take a break from the forum for a week. Hopefully you come back a LOT calmer. 😀

Well. Unfortunately, they decided to start creating multiple accounts for a temp ban so all accounts are now permanently banned as Spam. Toodles sweetie.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts