Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L 3.5L V6

I got news today that my Electronic Load Detector is having issues. It is throwing the battery light but only for short periods of time, intermittently, and some days not at all.

Two questions:
  1. Is this seriously going to require a full fuse box replacement? That's what they told me (Firestone who consulted with a Honda dealer) and my online research isn't returning much at all except one other odyclub thread. As of now, it appears that this $3 part will actually cost me hundreds.
  2. I have a road trip in a couple days. Is this going to leave me stranded if I don't get to it in time? I know, the smart thing is to replace it but I'm trying to gauge the urgency on this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well the first thing I would do is attach a voltmeter and then go for a ride.
That will give you an idea of the charging status vs just an "idiot light" on the dash.

Next, and more importantly..

Has your alternator ever been replaced?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the alternator was replaced. When I returned it to Firestone, they put in another replacement under warranty. Then they replaced the battery (and didn't charge me for it, and I still don't understand why). That was all done about 2 weeks ago.

Today, they hooked up a voltmeter and drove it. The way I understood him, they had the voltmeter hooked up while they drove. They told me it dropped below 11 volts one time but was otherwise fine. They checked the alternator and battery and everything is charging normally.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sadly if your new alternator is not a Denso brand it will likely fail soon.

That is exactly why I asked the question.

So let me get this straight.....

1 - Alternator was changed
2 - Alternator was changed AGAIN, along with the BATTERY
3 - Repair shop NOW suggests that you now replace the "Engine Under Hood Fuse Box"

(Why wasn't this stated originally?)

For your own peace of mind....

Take it to a Honda dealer and have them diagnose the charging system. $$$
When they tell you you need a new alternator, have them put it in writing.

Or, you can skip that step and...

1 - Purchase a Denso alternator as stated above. (Rock Auto recommended)
2 - Bring to said repair shop and have them install it for free.
3 - Have them refund you for previous alternator AND FRUSTRATION.
4 - Never go back!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Everyone here has a Denso fetish, and my guess is that you may have a bad wire or connection to the alternator, which may be hard to find. Remember, the voltage going to the field coil, which determines how the alternator charges, is coming from the car's computer.

Now back to Denso, yes get one if you need one, it would be my choice, but don't replace the one you have just to get a Denso. Whoever you bought yours from, you probably already have a rebuilt Denso.

You also don't necessarily need the dealer, you just need a shop that knows Honda and is honest.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just had a local Alternator rebuild shop rebuild the original. Less than $100. After pulling the OE one out I didn't want to risk buying a bad aftermarket. That is a difficult job

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Strangely, this issue has disappeared without any intervention. I took a long road trip (500 miles one way) and the light never came on.

I did add a dry gas/fuel injector cleaner to the tank. I don't know of any logical connection between injector cleaner and dry gas, and a battery light coming on, but that is how it happened. I'm mostly assuming it was a coincidence, but if anyone knows if there's a connection, please let me know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts