Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, the wife had an issue with the van a couple weeks ago...
Lights on dash started going crazy while driving, car barely made it home. Jumped it and it started...

Took it to O'Reilly and they said bad battery AND alternator.

Removed alternator and battery and returned to O'Reilly to replace them. The guy checked the battery and confirmed it was bad, but said the alternator was checking fine.

Bought a new battery and installed it. Everything worked, no issues for days.

3-4 days later the battery light is now on. No other symptoms, everything seems fine.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
556 Posts
Most of members here know that you should use either OEM or Denso alternators only. Using any other brands is like a coin toss--you may get lucky but most of times you don't.

The problem with other brands is that they don't put out enough amp demanded by the odyssey.

The cheapest Denso you can get is from rockauto.com or carID.com. Locally you can get it from Advanced auto. If you get from either rockauto or carID, your core return must be a Denso or you may NOT get $$ for your core return back.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I had the same symptoms yours did and it turned out to be the alternator % Get a denso new or Denso reman. I got an alternator from Advanced Auto and it was a Carquest brand. It actually is going great! I thought it would have failed but it's been holding steady. Only reason I got it was because I was on the road when it failed and that's all they had.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
You need to check your charging voltage, and you'll need to get a DIY on Youtube and a cheap voltmeter.

Also, the alternator gets its instructions from the computer to charge or not to charge. If the wire between the computer and the alternator is flaky, you're in trouble.

Again, get a youtube DIY on checking your complete charging system.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the reply guys.

Yea looks like the alternator... I'm only getting 12.2v while running

·
Registered
556 Posts
Remember, you may not be getting a signal from the computer to charge the system.
The computer already indicated that there is problem with the charging system. Why would it give 2 contradictory signals (one is not to charge as you stated and one is problem with the charging system).
Don't make thing more complex than necessary. The OP already obtained enough data to indicate that the alternator is not charging.
When the van is running, a working alternator will show at least 14.4v at the battery.

Return the alternator to the store and offer to pay the difference for a Denso alternator.

·
Registered
90 Posts
OP still has original alternator as it tested bad but upon bringing it in tested good. Now it seems to be acting up again...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
556 Posts
OP still has original alternator as it tested bad but upon bringing it in tested good. Now it seems to be acting up again...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
You are correct. I just now re-read his original thread.
That was the OP's mistake to believe too much in the test and ignored his real data. I would take my real data over test data any days.
After 100K miles, it is a fair game for an alternator to go. That said many original alternators made by Denso usually go after 200K miles. I just replaced mine a few months ago at 225K miles.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Oh why, Oh why.

There is wire from the computer to the field coil of the alternator. Without voltage to the field, there won't be any output to the alternator. I say this because his alternator tested good at the shop, and I'm not making this up.

Of note, in the olden days before all knowing computer control, alternators had an internal voltage regulator. Now, the all knowing computer does it.

Everyone is lost in Denso this, and Denso that, and yes, if I was buying an alternator, I would buy a Denso. But, I wouldn't take out working non-Denso to put in a Denso.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ordered a remanufactured Denso from rockauto today... Wish me luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Question.... When I jump start the car from another car with a good alternator, should the battery light go out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would not expect it to go out because the battery light typically works from the L terminal of the alternator/regulator. This is one of the 4 wires going to the connector and looks at one of the phase outputs to sense rotation/output. By the way, the 06 should be a C,Fr,Ig,L which has a voltage reduction mode only when the C terminal is pulled low. This is for torque management that shuts down the alternator when the vehicle needs maximum torque, i.e. full throttle. Also, the in-store testers are really only good enough to tell if the unit is completely dead or not so you could have worn brushes that simply can't make good contact at higher speeds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same symptoms yours did and it turned out to be the alternator % Get a denso new or Denso reman. I got an alternator from Advanced Auto and it was a Carquest brand. It actually is going great! I thought it would have failed but it's been holding steady. Only reason I got it was because I was on the road when it failed and that's all they had.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Yeah, I put in a CARQUEST alternator....twice. First one failed within a year. I got a replacement for free under warranty. That replacement failed immediately. Don't be surprised when if fails again soon. I second everyone else who said go Denso.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
11 Participants
thscott
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing