Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I would not expect it to go out because the battery light typically works from the L terminal of the alternator/regulator. This is one of the 4 wires going to the connector and looks at one of the phase outputs to sense rotation/output. By the way, the 06 should be a C,Fr,Ig,L which has a voltage reduction mode only when the C terminal is pulled low. This is for torque management that shuts down the alternator when the vehicle needs maximum torque, i.e. full throttle. Also, the in-store testers are really only good enough to tell if the unit is completely dead or not so you could have worn brushes that simply can't make good contact at higher speeds.
When jumped, the light DID go away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, the wife had an issue with the van a couple weeks ago...
Lights on dash started going crazy while driving, car barely made it home. Jumped it and it started...

Took it to O'Reilly and they said bad battery AND alternator.

Removed alternator and battery and returned to O'Reilly to replace them. The guy checked the battery and confirmed it was bad, but said the alternator was checking fine.

Bought a new battery and installed it. Everything worked, no issues for days.

3-4 days later the battery light is now on. No other symptoms, everything seems fine.

What do you guys think?

I had a similar problem. I will not bore you with how many battery replacements and diagnostic fails I went through... But THE PROBLEM WAS A FUSED RELAY. Specifically an Air Conditioner Relay in the fuse box area needed to be replaced (because they don't last forever). A fused relay will cause a "parasitic drain" on your battery even when the car is off. Basically, the battery drains out all the time.

Replace for about $12. I did it myself after checking the continuity of them all with a multi-meter.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You may be referring to the AC clutch relay (aka MG relay). A very common failure mode and one of the leading causes of parasitic battery drain and AC issues. This is located in relay box under the hood.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You may be referring to the AC clutch relay (aka MG relay). A very common failure mode and one of the leading causes of parasitic battery drain and AC issues. This is located in relay box under the hood.
But wouldnt the alternator still charge the battery when the car is running?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
My gut feel is that you need a new alternator, as others have suggested. The fact that you report that it is only putting out 12.2 volts indicates to me that it is not working properly. Should be around 14 volts. I could be wrong, of course.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Replaced with a remanufactured Denso and the problem is FIXED! Got a solid 13.6v now. Thanks a lot guys

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
11 Participants
thscott
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing