Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I need some help I have an 02 Honda Odyssey it is not charging the battery but the alternator is good can anybody shoot me any ideas what could possibly be wrong 2 days earlier my drive light started blinking and it said it was solenoid a electrical also replaced the solenoid and still does not fix the problem and check engine light will not go off

·
Registered
13,863 Posts
How well to the battery connectors fit? My 02 ones were pretty loose the last time I had a battery replaced. I bought little caps they call shims:

Have you changed your transmission fluid lately?

·
Registered
680 Posts
You say "the alternator is good", but did you bother to answer V4forever's question about charging voltage?
Is the alternator good because you put in a new replacement from a parts store? Even if there is a 'Lifetime Warranty" there are plenty of posts where these alternators are not good enough.
Besides checking battery voltage and charging voltage, check your grounds. This engine ground contributed to my electrical issues.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
How did you determine that the alternator was good?

You can buy a voltage meter that plugs into the ACC socket (cigarette lighter socket) that will read the voltage in the system. You leave in plugged in and you can read the voltage in real time as long as the key is in the ACC or Run position. You can buy them online or probably at stores like Walmart for around $5 or less. Very handy and cheap.
Here is an example: LED Display Cigarette Lighter Car Battery Test Voltage Voltmeter Measuring Tool | eBay
I bought a two wire extension cable so I could view the meter easier. Depends on what you bought. Dual Car Cigarette Lighter Splitter Charger Power Socket Adapter 12v Auto Outlet 606314749569 | eBay
Check fuse #4 (15A) in the under the hood primary fuse box (page 363 in the owner's manual).
if this fuse is blown, the alt will not be able to charge the battery.
Once again, how did you determine that the alternator was good and putting out the proper voltage,etc.? Did you measure it at the battery terminal clamps?
Buffalo4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You say "the alternator is good", but did you bother to answer V4forever's question about charging voltage?
Is the alternator good because you put in a new replacement from a parts store? Even if there is a 'Lifetime Warranty" there are plenty of posts where these alternators are not good enough.
Besides checking battery voltage and charging voltage, check your grounds. This engine ground contributed to my electrical issues.

View attachment 154379

Ill look around pulled the alternator back out and tested at the store and it passed. Thank you for your help
How did you determine that the alternator was good?

You can buy a voltage meter that plugs into the ACC socket (cigarette lighter socket) that will read the voltage in the system. You leave in plugged in and you can read the voltage in real time as long as the key is in the ACC or Run position. You can buy them online or probably at stores like Walmart for around $5 or less. Very handy and cheap.
Here is an example: LED Display Cigarette Lighter Car Battery Test Voltage Voltmeter Measuring Tool | eBay
I bought a two wire extension cable so I could view the meter easier. Depends on what you bought. Dual Car Cigarette Lighter Splitter Charger Power Socket Adapter 12v Auto Outlet 606314749569 | eBay
Check fuse #4 (15A) in the under the hood primary fuse box (page 363 in the owner's manual).
if this fuse is blown, the alt will not be able to charge the battery.
Once again, how did you determine that the alternator was good and putting out the proper voltage,etc.? Did you measure it at the battery terminal clamps?
Buffalo4
Yes checked at battery

·
Registered
680 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
So, the voltage at the battery clamps (read off the posts and not the clamps) with the engine running was around 14 volts?
If so, and the battery clamps were snug and the battery is NOT charging, then it really does sounds like a bad battery, yes, even new ones can be bad. Or, you have a bad parasitic drain on the battery where the battery is charging but it gets drained overnight.
Check the battery fluid level. If any cell is below the plates, not good.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I have honda odyssey 2005 touring and I have problem with the navigation on the screen show me " PLEASE CHECK YOUR DISC" anybody know what's the problem

·
Registered
680 Posts
Perhaps post your question in the "2005-2010 3rd Generation" forum instead of posting to this unrelated "Battery not charging" thread! Or better yet, try to Search for your error.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Was the alternator replaced recently? If so and a Denso wasn't used that could be the issue. Doesn't matter if it passed a test.
You are right about OEM alternator. A year ago, I replaced my Denso with brand new AC Delco alternator, It last only a month, I had to returned it and bought a Denso and it still running like a champ. Don't be cheap with alternator and only use OEM alternator!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello everyone I need some help I have an 02 Honda Odyssey it is not charging the battery but the alternator is good can anybody shoot me any ideas what could possibly be wrong 2 days earlier my drive light started blinking and it said it was solenoid a electrical also replaced the solenoid and still does not fix the problem and check engine light will not go off
I've had this problem on another old car. Make sure that you have a clean connection from the cables to the battery posts.
Clean your battery terminals. Mix baking soda & water to make a solvent to wash off the terminals.
wire brush the terminals until they are shiny. Then connect & tighten the cables.

·
Registered
13,863 Posts
One of the reasons I suggested the battery caps was because the clamps get to the point where they will not tighten properly. The advise I read around here was to NEVER cut the clamp off and use one of those universal replacements. If you price the whole cable, the $3.00 battery post clamps will seem quite desirable. I don't even live where the connections are subject to icy, salty, slush. You may even need the actual cable, especially if the connection down by the starter is bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts