Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 odyssey and for some reason while driving it lost power. The d light is flashing, speedometer not working, lights keep dimming until car dies. Tried jump starting and it will start for a minute until it dies. Replaced the alternator and the battery and no change. Its throwing codes P1298, P0135, P0141, P1753, P0753, P1768 and P1298. The # 6 fuse also keeps blowing. Unfortunately My son was the one driving it at the time all this happened so im not sure exactly what happened or how it happened. So any ideas on a fix is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
693 Posts
This should be a relatively simple issue to isolate. You start with the blown fuse. It means there is something on that circuit that is shorting out. That fuse protects the following:

Alternator, Charging System Light, Cruise Control Main Switch, Cruise Control Unit, Electrical Load Detector (ELD) Unit, Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Vent Shut Valve, EVAP Bypass Solenoid Valve, EVAP Purge Control Solenoid Valve, Engine Mount Control Solenoid Valve, Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Primary and Secondary Heated Oxygen Sensors, Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) (with Navigation System), Navigation System (2000-2004), PGM-FI

If I had to make a purely hypothetical guess, I would guess something in the alternator is shorting out but it could be any of the above components. The reason I suspect the alternator is because I have had this happen to me on 2 different Honda J35 motors before... the alternator shorts out and then even if you try to charge the battery it doesn't work when in theory you should be able to run with battery alone until it is drained.

The easy way to check this is to just fully unplug the alternator (there are two connections... one electrical connector and one bolted on + terminal). Then charge up your battery completely and start it and see if it stays running longer than a minute.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This should be a relatively simple issue to isolate. You start with the blown fuse. It means there is something on that circuit that is shorting out. That fuse protects the following:

Alternator, Charging System Light, Cruise Control Main Switch, Cruise Control Unit, Electrical Load Detector (ELD) Unit, Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Vent Shut Valve, EVAP Bypass Solenoid Valve, EVAP Purge Control Solenoid Valve, Engine Mount Control Solenoid Valve, Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Primary and Secondary Heated Oxygen Sensors, Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) (with Navigation System), Navigation System (2000-2004), PGM-FI

If I had to make a purely hypothetical guess, I would guess something in the alternator is shorting out but it could be any of the above components. The reason I suspect the alternator is because I have had this happen to me on 2 different Honda J35 motors before... the alternator shorts out and then even if you try to charge the battery it doesn't work when in theory you should be able to run with battery alone until it is drained.

The easy way to check this is to just fully unplug the alternator (there are two connections... one electrical connector and one bolted on + terminal). Then charge up your battery completely and start it and see if it stays running longer than a minute.

The alternator was the first thing i replaced when this happened. so thats brand new, but I will be taking your advice and checking everything you mentioned. Thank you so much for your reply and i will let you know how it goes..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.