Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recently installed a Pioneer video system in the Odyssey. The system looks and works great, but I have some conern for the van's battery. Usually a movie is around an hour and more long which would leave me running on the car's battery. I am afraid if I use it for too long my battery will die which would leave me no battery to run the engine. On the other hand if I leave the car's engine running, I would waste a lot of gas. What should I do ??

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lookinco:
I have just recently installed a Pioneer video system in the Odyssey. The system looks and works great, but I have some conern for the van's battery. Usually a movie is around an hour and more long which would leave me running on the car's battery. I am afraid if I use it for too long my battery will die which would leave me no battery to run the engine. On the other hand if I leave the car's engine running, I would waste a lot of gas. What should I do ??</font>
Good question. Did the instructions with the video system give any specifications on what kind of power usage it has? That would give you some idea of what kind of time you can expect the battery to support the video with the engine off. You might have to compromise here. Maybe running the engine through half the movie?

Just a thought!

Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Lookinco,
Word of caution: try not to run your system off your battery without the engine on for any extended period of time, even if you are capable of doing so without jeopordizing starting your vehicle.

The reason is that automotive batteries are designed to work for high current, short bursts such as starting the car, not running accessories for an extended period of time. You will cycle your battery alot more if you do this (meaning drain and recharge) and you will dramtically reduce the useful life of your battery.

The guys out there that have competition level audio/video systems use a deep cycle battery and battery isolator to remedy this problem, and therefore play their systems with engine off without consequence.

Unless you want to add a deep cycle battery and isolator, run the engine. It'll reduce your headaches down the road...

One last option is.... use an AC powered 12V supply/charger hooked into your battery when parked....like in your garage... (yeah, I know that sounds dumb, but people do it!)

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 08-19-2001).]

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What advantage will I have if I have an AC powered 12V supply/charger ? Also, will I be using a lot of gas when I am idling with the engine on ? Will that hurt the engine ?

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lookinco:
What advantage will I have if I have an AC powered 12V supply/charger ? Also, will I be using a lot of gas when I am idling with the engine on ? Will that hurt the engine ? </font>
The 12V adapter will illiminate your concern about running down the car's battery assuming you've got access to 110 volts, like at a camp ground etc.

Will you use a "lot" of gas just idling for an hour? Probably not. The engine doesn't use that much just to idle but having the engine running without going anywhere won't help your fuel mileage averages. As for harming the engine is concerned, as long as the cooling system is functioning properly and the oil levels are right, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep an eye on the engine temp gauge.

Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sorry-this may seem like to obvious of a question-Why not watch the rest of the movie the NEXT time you are in the car. Or take the tape in and finish watching it whereever you are going. The thought of just sitting in the car for the sake of finishing the movie seems kinda silly dontcha think?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts