Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda's website requires you to have the radio code card and the VIN to submit to get the actual code to unlock. Well, we have a title, a registration and a VIN but no code card. How do we go about getting the actual code to turn this all back on?

Thanks!

Radio Navicode Honda Website

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,822 Posts
You shouldn't have to do all that. Hold the stereo button for about 3 seconds and the system should self-initialize.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it did, sort of. It won't let us get into the other menus. I can't reset the clock for example, we can only see the trip computer. The radio works, but we seem to be locked out of the setup and management elements.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,822 Posts
How weird. When I replaced my battery about a month ago, when I reconnected the terminals and pressed the Start button, I got a prompt telling me to press and hold the stereo power button. All the functionality came back immediately for me. Even all the presets and custom setting were retained; only the correct time on the clock was lost.

I wonder whether starting over again (disconnect the battery, wait for any capacitors to drain, reconnect) would make any difference?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I'll try that. But it would be nice to know how to get the codes as well.

And IF it's this easy to reset, WHY the code crap to begin with?!? ;)

And note, the battery was out of the van for a day; I was doing the ATF Cooler install, removed it all Saturday and it was dropped back in Sunday...

·
Registered
23 Posts
yes, the radio should be synced to the car and shouldn't need a code. I had the same experience as CroMath.
my odyssey was used and it did have the code on sticker in glovebox and in one of the manuals. my understanding is that the code is a failsafe and prevents it from being used in another Odyssey.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,822 Posts
After a certain amount of time, I don't think it matters how long the battery was disconnected. My van was without power for a good 30 minutes or more, which in my experience with other vehicles is more than enough time to lose everything. I believe my van was totally dead, electrically speaking, but I'll admit I didn't actually bother to verify that.

As for why bother with codes, I think this whole "press and hold the Power button" thing is a new mask over an old process, because as far as I can tell, older 4th generation Odys do require codes to be entered. It's newer ones like yours and mine that have two ways to get the job done. So our vans have the correct activation codes stored somewhere and automatically enter them for us when we press and hold the stereo Power button.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well it did, sort of. It won't let us get into the other menus. I can't reset the clock for example, we can only see the trip computer. The radio works, but we seem to be locked out of the setup and management elements.
Odd question, but is the car in motion when you attempt those things? I know the car locks you out of a few things when at speed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, the van was sitting still. Motor off, just the Start button activated.

And like I said, the radio came on; I just couldn't use the toggle and move over to other menus. So no resetting the clock, stuck on trip computer, etc.

Maybe because my battery was out for so long it did a hard reset? 30 minutes for a new battery swap it stays alive, but after X amount of time it gets suspicious and wants the code to fully reactivate?

Call Honda America perhaps?

·
Registered
146 Posts
The code is an anti-theft thing--Honda put it in making it difficult for folks to steal the radio system and installing it in a different vehicle. All of our previous Hondas (and family members') Acuras came with little plastic cards with the radio code--some had the code on a sticker in the glovebox as well. Our present van, '15 EX-L, was purchased used, after I swapped out the battery last fall and discovered that I didn't have the code. The local dealership would not provide the code (it is tied to the VIN) over the phone and requested that I bring the van to them. After I backed the van out of our garage and drove 2 or so blocks, the radio started working. Apparently the van did a handshake with the radio unit and there was no need to get the code.

Andrew, you may want to reset things by disconnecting the battery ground cable for a bit, then re-connecting the cable. Then drive around for a bit until the radio hand shake occurs and the radio code entry display disappears. Hopefully you'll be able to access the other functions after that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good tip. I'll try both methods. Disconnect, wait and then just hit the power button and see if anything changes. If not, disconnect, wait a bit, reconnect and don't touch anything and drive around for a bit.

·
Registered
419 Posts
what year is your van? I remember having to put the code in my 2012 a few times.

I've never used the Honda site, but it only asks for VIN and serial number right? I don't see you needing the radio code card. It gives steps for retrieving the serial number from the radio's display.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
'16 EXL, 49.6k miles.

It's working fine, I didn't have to do anything. I "suspect" it just took a while for the radio to talk to the van and agree they were made for each other, not sure, but it's all normal now.

So moral of the story, just give it a little bit of time to realign itself and do the power button trick.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

·
Registered
132 Posts
For the record apparently Honda changed it mid way in gen4, so without the year of the van you're going to have half of the people telling you you need it, and the other half otherwise. For sure 2015 onwards your don't need the code anymore. On mine the radio display clearly tell you to hold the power button and that's all needed to reset it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That makes sense, we had no notice appear on our '16 EXL but I just hit the power button and it "sorta" came to life. And then within a few starts/stops everything was back to normal. Not sure on the delay but I was putting it all back together and wasn't paying a ton of attention to the radio, and the wife drives the van so...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts