Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I needed a new battery because mine failed the load test and needed a jumpstart to get home.

To my surprise, Costco said it carries no batteries for Odyssey from 05-10. I left Costco feeling let down and wondering why. But I needed a battery fast so I ended up buying this one from Advanced Auto and paid $130 something (after tax) after an online discount code.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-gold-battery-group-size-24f-700-cca-24f-6/2130001-P
I decided to do some digging after leaving Costco and here is what I have found.

To determine whether a battery would fit in your vehicle, you basically just need to know the “group size” and “CCA” or Cold Cranking Amp. Based on the old battery, the Group size and CCA for my ody (and probably 05-10 odys) are 24F and 700 CCA respectively. This information is usually printed on the battery label if you look hard enough. You would, of course, make sure the Pos and Neg posts are on the right and left sides respectively.

Armed with this information, I came back to Costco and asked them why they didn’t have batteries for my vehicle while I saw plenty of 24F with 700 CCA in their stock. They showed me denote in their reference book showing that “OE battery has flush vents“. Hence, flush vents are acting like a pressure release valve to prevent pressure build-up inside a battery.

So, it turns out that Costco does have batteries for my Ody (without the flush vents), but they don’t sell them as a replacement for Ody because the OE batteries came equipped with flush vents.
I look at the advanced Auto’s battery which I bought, and I can’t find the flush vent feature anywhere on this battery. Yet, it is sold as the battery for my Ody. I did not know buying a car battery could be this complicated.

The moral of my story is unless your new battery has flush vent feature to justify for higher cost, you are better off with a normal typical “Interstate” battery of 24F 700 CCA at Costco for $85 with 42 mo free replacement or an “Exide” unit at Home Depot with 24mo free replacement for $99. I also found similar units (exide) from a “Rural King”country store for $79 if I recall it correctly.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I buy from Walmart for two reasons, price and because there's no hassle. They've always lasted close to 5 years if not longer. I grab whatever battery I want and can return any battery I have hanging around, no questions asked. I tried a few years back from someone else, way too much money for the only one they would sell me.

This is the top of the line Everstart although I don't know why you'd need 700 CCA seeing these vans are easy to start.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery-Group-Size-24F/49988378

·
Registered
205 Posts
I bought the battery from Costco last December. It is about the same price as the Walmart battery in the post. Most my car batteries are from Costco.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I buy from Walmart for two reasons, price and because there's no hassle. They've always lasted close to 5 years if not longer. I grab whatever battery I want and can return any battery I have hanging around, no questions asked. I tried a few years back from someone else, way too much money for the only one they would sell me.

This is the top of the line Everstart although I don't know why you'd need 700 CCA seeing these vans are easy to start.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery-Group-Size-24F/49988378
Price and decent quality are the reasons I started out with Costco. Because I am not the original owner, I can only assume that 700 CCA is what my Ody requires. Hence, it is the exact spec. of the battery unit which went bad. 700 CCA is also the recommended spec when I searched for a replacement battery with Advanced Auto and AutoZone.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
So, I needed a new battery because mine failed the load test and needed a jumpstart to get home.

To my surprise, Costco said it carries no batteries for Odyssey from 05-10. I left Costco feeling let down and wondering why. But I needed a battery fast so I ended up buying this one from Advanced Auto and paid $130 something (after tax) after an online discount code.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-gold-battery-group-size-24f-700-cca-24f-6/2130001-P
I decided to do some digging after leaving Costco and here is what I have found.

To determine whether a battery would fit in your vehicle, you basically just need to know the “group size” and “CCA” or Cold Cranking Amp. Based on the old battery, the Group size and CCA for my ody (and probably 05-10 odys) are 24F and 700 CCA respectively. This information is usually printed on the battery label if you look hard enough. You would, of course, make sure the Pos and Neg posts are on the right and left sides respectively.

Armed with this information, I came back to Costco and asked them why they didn’t have batteries for my vehicle while I saw plenty of 24F with 700 CCA in their stock. They showed me denote in their reference book showing that “OE battery has flush vents“. Hence, flush vents are acting like a pressure release valve to prevent pressure build-up inside a battery.

So, it turns out that Costco does have batteries for my Ody (without the flush vents), but they don’t sell them as a replacement for Ody because the OE batteries came equipped with flush vents.
I look at the advanced Auto’s battery which I bought, and I can’t find the flush vent feature anywhere on this battery. Yet, it is sold as the battery for my Ody. I did not know buying a car battery could be this complicated.

The moral of my story is unless your new battery has flush vent feature to justify for higher cost, you are better off with a normal typical “Interstate” battery of 24F 700 CCA at Costco for $85 with 42 mo free replacement or an “Exide” unit at Home Depot with 24mo free replacement for $99. I also found similar units (exide) from a “Rural King”country store for $79 if I recall it correctly.
I had just posted this same info in a different thread. Yes it is weird. The guy in store did the same thing to me but since I had already bought one Kirkland battery in the past and knew it fit, I just told him that I knew the battery would fit and bought it. I also had just bought a Costco Interstate 24F battery for my V6 Accord and it also fits (of course)

They are losing a LOT of sales on this I'll bet. When you go to their website and plug in 2010 Odyssey it says "sorry we don't carry". Probably a lot of people stop there, or believe the employee in store.

I don't have a great sense of what a "flush mount vent" is. All I can say is the OEM Honda battery that I replaced on the 2014 Accord looks exactly like the Costco Interstate and even had the two raised areas on top where you can open the caps and check electrolyte.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Personally I don't care "flush mount vent" by Honda. If most other car brands don't require that vent it should be okay without on our Odyssey. Is Odyssey or other Honda cars that unique that really requires the vent? Next time when I drive by a Honda dealer I'd ask them about it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had just posted this same info in a different thread. Yes it is weird. The guy in store did the same thing to me but since I had already bought one Kirkland battery in the past and knew it fit, I just told him that I knew the battery would fit and bought it. I also had just bought a Costco Interstate 24F battery for my V6 Accord and it also fits (of course)

They are losing a LOT of sales on this I'll bet. When you go to their website and plug in 2010 Odyssey it says "sorry we don't carry". Probably a lot of people stop there, or believe the employee in store.

I don't have a great sense of what a "flush mount vent" is. All I can say is the OEM Honda battery that I replaced on the 2014 Accord looks exactly like the Costco Interstate and even had the two raised areas on top where you can open the caps and check electrolyte.
Thank you! I am glad that you shared my experience (and confusion lol).
If I knew what I know now, I would do exactly what you did. Costco has the best price and warranty on batteries. Perhaps, the reference booklets they got from Interstate contain errors.

Anyhow, if you own an Ody 05-10 and have Costco membership, simply ask for a 24F 700 CCA battery. It is the battery you need and comes with 42 mo warranty replacement.

Reactions: Rosemum

·
Registered
13,467 Posts
I would stick with 700 CCA or higher batteries for these vans. The power doors draw a lot of current and you need that extra juice in the battery to keep everything going and working reliably in the winter time.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Thank you! I am glad that you shared my experience (and confusion lol).
If I knew what I know now, I would do exactly what you did. Costco has the best price and warranty on batteries. Perhaps, the reference booklets they got from Interstate contain errors.

Anyhow, if you own an Ody 05-10 and have Costco membership, simply ask for a 24F 700 CCA battery. It is the battery you need and comes with 42 mo warranty replacement.
Yes it is really Interstate's problem. They print the books and they maintain the website. Just for fun I clicked on different Hondas in different years with V6 engine and they all came back as "No". All because Honda OEM has a "flush vent" whatever that is? Costco/Interstate are missing out on LOTS of sales if they are excluding all Odyssey, Pilot and V6 Accords! That is a lot of vehicles. I mean I plugged in 2015 Pilot, and 2010 Odyssey, and 2013 Accord, and all are "No"

Like I said, I am extra confused because I swear that the OEM battery from my 2014 Accord had the raised vents too and looked exactly like the Costco. Even if it did not, I don't see how it possibly matters since the battery just sits in the plastic box and the metal mounting bracket for the top is curved and bridges up and over the top of the battery anyway.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Put a note in your phone's calendar for about 39 months from now, and take your battery back to Costco at that time because your battery has been having issues and you think the battery might be bad.....they will likely give you a new one without question......I haven't done this yet but on my old Kirkland battery it had a 10yr pro-rated warranty so after about 4 years I got back like 65% of the original cost towards purchase of a new battery, so the new battery was like $29

·
Registered
104 Posts
And the fact that your suggestion constitutes fraud doesn’t bother you? Takes all kinds.

Reactions: TheThumb

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
And the fact that your suggestion constitutes fraud doesn’t bother you? Takes all kinds.
Who said anything about fraud? Sheesh. In my case with existing batteries, by the time they get to 3+ years I am indeed having issues with them. I have had several times where if the accessory is left on for not very long time, the battery won't start the car. That is why I had to replace the other Kirkland battery. If you get more life out of it than that, good for you. I just put the reminder so I can assess how things are going with the battery. It would be dumb for me to find out that the battery is weak at 44 months and get nothing for it rather than a couple months earlier.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Put a note in your phone's calendar for about 39 months from now, and take your battery back to Costco at that time because your battery has been having issues and you think the battery might be bad.....they will likely give you a new one without question......I haven't done this yet but on my old Kirkland battery it had a 10yr pro-rated warranty so after about 4 years I got back like 65% of the original cost towards purchase of a new battery, so the new battery was like $29
Also, did the same. Good old days. Costco Kirkland battery, had longer warranty. AS we all know, Odyssey battery, in 4th year, usually dies before reaching year 5. AT 4 years, I would buy new Costco, Kirkland, and have the same outcome as you. My case, ending up paying
$37 or so , for new battery. The New Interstate have shorter warranty (less than 4yr). But are replacement. Not prorated. So may
have to buy/bring in, just prior to 4yrs. If odyssey, did not "eat" up battery. I would not play this game, and just buy new, every
5-6 years or so. (hate the inconvenience of having dead battery).

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Who said anything about fraud? Sheesh. In my case with existing batteries, by the time they get to 3+ years I am indeed having issues with them. I have had several times where if the accessory is left on for not very long time, the battery won't start the car. That is why I had to replace the other Kirkland battery. If you get more life out of it than that, good for you. I just put the reminder so I can assess how things are going with the battery. It would be dumb for me to find out that the battery is weak at 44 months and get nothing for it rather than a couple months earlier.
That sounds fine. I am all for fair games but no cheating. Remember that business have to make profit or they won't be around to provide services to us.
The bad battery was a Kirkland (Costco brand) unit with 100 mo warranty and was born in 2014. I was not the original purchaser nor that I had a receipt for it. But, I was willing to pay ful price for a new Costco replacement unit.

On a side note, I agree with John Clark's comment that It should be 700 CCA or better. But, I dont think you will find one with more than 700 CCA in this size group at Costco--it would cost more anyway.

·
Registered
839 Posts
+1. Twice had odyssey battery die at 4+ years. Both times very inconvenient times. ie. on way to wedding shower, etc. Newer cars,
are very hard on batteries. Odyssey's more so.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I've tried Honda batteries twice and both died within 2-3 years. Now using Autozone brand. It lasted more than Honda OEM battery.

Pepboys have Bosch brand. Heard it is really good. I used it on my VW some time back. It was still working when i sold that car. It lasted more than the Walmart brand.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I've tried Honda batteries twice and both died within 2-3 years. Now using Autozone brand. It lasted more than Honda OEM battery.

Pepboys have Bosch brand. Heard it is really good. I used it on my VW some time back. It was still working when i sold that car. It lasted more than the Walmart brand.
I believe there are only two manufacturers of nearly all car batteries in the US - Johnson Controls and Exide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The difference between flush vents and sealed batteries is the vents allow gases from the electrolyte to vent in areas of the country that are hotter than normal, plus, as noted earlier, you can check fluid levels and add distilled water as necessary. I have had both kinds of batteries in my '04 Ody and I much prefer the sealed kind, even though I live in Nevada. I think they last longer, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
42 Posts
+1. Twice had odyssey battery die at 4+ years. Both times very inconvenient times. ie. on way to wedding shower, etc. Newer cars,
are very hard on batteries. Odyssey's more so.

I purchased a used van in FL and the used car dealer installed a crappy used (interstate) battery that started giving me problems before I even reached IL. They used a screw to hold the terminal connector in place.
When I got back home I started shopping for a battery (as the battery died on me a couple times). I had the same issue as others about the vented battery not being carried by costco. I called the Honda dealer and they said "any" battery of the right size (24F) would work.
Went back to Costco and bought their 24F battery - works great - the only issue was the terminals were on the opposite side compared to the Interstate battery that the used car dealer had installed (so not sure if what they (dealer) installed was even the correct one).
But the cables reached fine and overall very happy with the new battery from Costco.
Just my experience with the costco battery.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts