Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I purchased a used van in FL and the used car dealer installed a crappy used (interstate) battery that started giving me problems before I even reached IL. They used a screw to hold the terminal connector in place.
When I got back home I started shopping for a battery (as the battery died on me a couple times). I had the same issue as others about the vented battery not being carried by costco. I called the Honda dealer and they said "any" battery of the right size (24F) would work.
Went back to Costco and bought their 24F battery - works great - the only issue was the terminals were on the opposite side compared to the Interstate battery that the used car dealer had installed (so not sure if what they (dealer) installed was even the correct one).
But the cables reached fine and overall very happy with the new battery from Costco.
Just my experience with the costco battery.
I think there is 24 and 24F if memory serves and the terminals are on opposite sides. The 24F is the right one to match the terminal placement of the Hondas I have

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just replace the battery in my 2010 a couple months ago with...
Exide model 24FX 40 mo. Warranty sku 2616461 CCA 800 $85
purchased at Menards.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I just replace the battery in my 2010 a couple months ago with...
Exide model 24FX 40 mo. Warranty sku 2616461 CCA 800 $85
purchased at Menards.
Wow, good price and warranty!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I believe there are only two manufacturers of nearly all car batteries in the US - Johnson Controls and Exide.
You missed the best one - East Penn. Do the research and you will find the East Penn Deka battery is the best one out there. I have been using them exclusively on all of my vehicles, garden tractor and friends’ vehicles I maintain. Used to be a big believer in Johnson Controls Interstate but Deka performance and reliability is far superior. One of the biggest differences is the Deka posts never leak and cause corrosion. I used to buy a new JC battery for my garden tractor (extremely tough duty) every couple years. A Deka battery lasts at least 5 every time and never have a spec of corrosion. Deka’s on my cars, including MDX, typically go 7 years.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Interstate Batteries from Costco. I think I paid about $75 but outside the Costco is about $100+. I was in Car audio competition while back that demand good batteries, we used nothing but Interstate and Optima but now Optima is not as good like before when it made in the USA, now Optima is made in Mexico.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I recently purchased an Interstate battery from Costco. The caps on the battery are raised and not flush like the OEM battery. BJ's has Exide for the same price and the battery is more like OEM.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Having gone through three Honda branded batteries in the past 5 years switched over to the Bosch Platinum Series AGM Battery 24F, no issues since installed last May - purchased it from Pep Boys actually 20% off now comes with a 4 year guarantee[h=2][/h]

·
Registered
40 Posts
I cannot get a battery to last much more than 2 years here in Florida on any of my vehicles with the heat. Just got 21 months out of a 40 month precision parts battery purchased from the Auto Nation Honda dealer. That was pretty unimpressive. The battery is covered but I’ll pay $38 installation if they put it in. Not sure if I even want another of their crappy batteries. Thoughts? I AM a Costco member and have never tried them for batteries yet. Looks like their warranty is down to 36 months now and says “can’t be for just battery discharged”? 🤔

·
Registered
40 Posts
I cannot get a battery to last much more than 2 years here in Florida on any of my vehicles with the heat. Just got 21 months out of a 40 month precision parts battery purchased from the Auto Nation Honda dealer. That was pretty unimpressive. The battery is covered but I’ll pay $38 installation if they put it in. Not sure if I even want another of their crappy batteries. Thoughts? I AM a Costco member and have never tried them for batteries yet. Looks like their warranty is down to 36 months now and says “can’t be for just battery discharged”? 🤔
Appears they have one for my 14 Odyssey that comes up on the website but it’s special order. That’s inconvenient. 🤔

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I like the Interstate MegaTron Plus battery. You don’t have to get it from Costco

·
Registered
30 Posts
AZ odyssey here with no issues on battery life so far. Something does not feel right if your battery is draining. Maybe alternator is on its way out?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe the humidity plays in? We’ll find out I guess when they test it today but it has always tested good in the past and a rudimentary test with a multimeter yesterday showed it charging at 13.7 volts.

·
Registered
402 Posts
@Av8r73 I think you just need to go into your Costco, or call them, as the website doesn't show what is stocked in the store.

I bought one for my Odyssey from Costco last fall, and while I'm not 100% certain, want to say the warranty is 42 months. It is an Interstate battery but is not AGM as shown on the website and is less expensive.

One thing that is different now about warranties is that while they are shorter than in the past, they are no longer prorated after 1 year.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
+1 for Walmart. A battery warranty is only good if you can access a store from where you are when you need it. Except during the Covid 19 time period most Walmarts are open 24/7 and the customer service counter can handle the exchange if the auto center is closed. I always get their "MAXX" battery which is 3 years full and 5 years prorated and I rarely collect on the warranty because they hold up. I believe their two suppliers for batteries are Exide and Johnson Controls, not that they can't have their batteries built to a lesser spec, but in the last 25 years I've not had an issue. When I did collect on the warranty I knew why and it wasn't really the fault of the battery.

Reactions: thscott

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,644 Posts
Last couple batteries in my Ody have been Duralast from AutoZone. Had a new battery put in last October, its predecessor lasted about 3 and a half years. 9 months later the new battery is still perfect.

I live in Texas, for what it's worth.

Reactions: pkrface

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Last couple batteries in my Ody have been Duralast from AutoZone. Had a new battery put in last October, its predecessor lasted about 3 and a half years. 9 months later the new battery is still perfect.

I live in Texas, for what it's worth.
And obviously close to the service points that Walmart has, usually 7 days a week, etc. The major parts chains are also a decent choice for a battery, though I admit to not using them for parts much.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,644 Posts
And obviously close to the service points that Walmart has, usually 7 days a week, etc. The major parts chains are also a decent choice for a battery, though I admit to not using them for parts much.
Yeah, I don't do too much work on my own, but usually I get the parts from one of the parts chains. Had to do a spark plug change, got the NGK plugs from AutoZone.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I'm with @pkrface, I have been getting the MAXX battery from Walmart for a while. Make sure to make a copy of the receipt. Something that I do is scan it and email it to myself, and save it to a folder that says automotive. The last battery I got for the Ody died on the 3 years mark for a full replacement...was almost 3 years and 2 weeks. I went to Walmart, go my receipt from my email and thanks God was able to get a brand new free replacement. You have 3 years for a free replacement.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I do not think that any companies including Walmart has the 4th and 5th year pro-rated any longer. I was told that everything is 3 years free replacement now. But the price on for the Maxx EverStart 24F that is referenced by @pkrface and @kaimanson is a great deal. We used Autocraft Gold from Advance Auto and are very happy with it. We have been getting about 5-6 years with them even after 3-4 complete drains from leaving lights on over night. We do fully charge the battery 2-3 times overnight after a complete drain. But even with 25% discount or $40 off $100+ Advance auto discount code, the price on Walmart Maxx EverStart 24F is much cheaper and at the same 750CCA. Advance Auto now have DieHard (instead of the Autocraft) brand that we loved back in the 70s at Sears, but not sure how they are as compare to today's better batteries. I might try either the Walmart Maxx EverStart 24F next time or the DieHard next time around.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts