Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Remember all these battery brands that are being mentioned are all made by the same manufacturer - there are only about 2-3 battery manufacturers these days making all these brands.
Shop for the lowest price. I tend to replace the battery on all my vehicles about every 4-5 years as a preventative measure.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I do not think that any companies including Walmart has the 4th and 5th year pro-rated any longer. I was told that everything is 3 years free replacement now. But the price on for the Maxx EverStart 24F that is referenced by @pkrface and @kaimanson is a great deal. We used Autocraft Gold from Advance Auto and are very happy with it. We have been getting about 5-6 years with them even after 3-4 complete drains from leaving lights on over night. We do fully charge the battery 2-3 times overnight after a complete drain. But even with 25% discount or $40 off $100+ Advance auto discount code, the price on Walmart Maxx EverStart 24F is much cheaper and at the same 750CCA. Advance Auto now have DieHard (instead of the Autocraft) brand that we loved back in the 70s at Sears, but not sure how they are as compare to today's better batteries. I might try either the Walmart Maxx EverStart 24F next time or the DieHard next time around.
You are correct, the pro-rated years are gone lol... didn't notice that.

·
Registered
2010 EX-L 230,000 2010 Touring 91,000
90 Posts
The last time I needed a battery (happened to be for my Toyota) I went to Walmart because they install for free. I usually do it myself, but I thought what the heck?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The last time I needed a battery (happened to be for my Toyota) I went to Walmart because they install for free. I usually do it myself, but I thought what the heck?
I've done two in the last week (due to too much inactivity during Covid shutdown) and in both cases walked them out of Walmart and installed them myself because the auto centers were shut down. One of them was a pro-rate and the other one was an outright purchase, but I had to do the core at the customer service counter. Helped me understand even better all of the flexibility that using Walmart brings. As I stated before, and of course things are far from normal, in most cases Walmart is open 24/7 so if needed I can get a warranty replacement in any decent size town in America at 2 am if necessary. Hard to beat that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Costco switched to interstate battery and it doesn't carry the one specific for Odyssey 07. However, I bought one that has similar spec and dimension, and it fits perfectly and has been working fine for many years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just called Costco and said they don't carry battery for my 2010 Odyssey. So I will head to the store and get the 24F battery.
My Honda battery shows it has 550 CCA only.

Thanks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you live in an area where there is a Menards, they carry an AC Delco battery 600cca that comes with a 36mo. full replacement warranty. It was on sale a few weeks ago for 84.99 and it is back up to about 95 or 99 now. Pretty good deal and I have had several over the years. Be sure to save your receipt, if you get one. Group size 24F

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just called Costco and said they don't carry battery for my 2010 Odyssey. So I will head to the store and get the 24F battery.
My Honda battery shows it has 550 CCA only.

Thanks.
I got an Interstate battery for my '07 from Costco about 1 1/2 years ago and it was a good price and has a 42 month warranty. I'm not sure why they said they didn't have one for your 2010.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I got an Interstate battery for my '07 from Costco about 1 1/2 years ago and it was a good price and has a 42 month warranty. I'm not sure why they said they didn't have one for your 2010.
I've looked into this and the standard OEM battery has flush or "flat" vents. When I was shopping at Costco, the Interstate batteries they had raised vent caps. But, you can make it fit by removing the vent caps, install the battery hold down hardware and put the vent caps back on.

However, when looking online now, the Interstate battery site shows the group 24F with flat vents. So I don't know for sure, maybe Costco doesn't carry the flat or flush vented batteries.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've looked into this and the standard OEM battery has flush or "flat" vents. When I was shopping at Costco, the Interstate batteries they had raised vent caps. But, you can make it fit by removing the vent caps, install the battery hold down hardware and put the vent caps back on.

However, when looking online now, the Interstate battery site shows the group 24F with flat vents. So I don't know for sure, maybe Costco doesn't carry the flat or flush vented batteries.
Mine has 2 raised caps, each covering 3 cells. The battery hold down fits between the 2 caps and I never had to remove the caps when installing it. I'll take a picture and add it later.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The raised caps aren't a problem and the hold down doesn't prevent the removal of the caps.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts

??
It makes no difference whether the battery has flush or raised vent covers. Both work and fit just fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I installed mine, I have to remove the vent cover near the positive terminal so I can tighten the nut.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Costco, walmart, AAA. Had a Walmart battery in our Accord (sold). 01 Ody had Costco battery and when it died in Vegas in a parking lot, got a jump and went to Costco (happen to be closed on that Sunday). Then called AAA. It was about $23 more than Costco but has better warranty and pro-rating. Been using AAA since after lesson learned. Used AAA about 3 times for battery on 3 different cars. Worked out great. You call and they come replace it. It is also Interstate. 08 Ody needed it in 2019 so did the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That sounds fine. I am all for fair games but no cheating. Remember that business have to make profit or they won't be around to provide services to us.
The bad battery was a Kirkland (Costco brand) unit with 100 mo warranty and was born in 2014. I was not the original purchaser nor that I had a receipt for it. But, I was willing to pay ful price for a new Costco replacement unit.

On a side note, I agree with John Clark's comment that It should be 700 CCA or better. But, I dont think you will find one with more than 700 CCA in this size group at Costco--it would cost more anyway.
I agree with your advice for mom and pop stores. But for stores like Costco and Amazon they already factored the returns in their business model. As long as following their rules you should never feel bad about "getting a discount" from them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Costco switched to interstate battery and it doesn't carry the one specific for Odyssey 07. However, I bought one that has similar spec and dimension, and it fits perfectly and has been working fine for many years.
Costco now carries 24F that fits the '07 Odyssey, only 36 mos warranty.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I have been using the Interstate Megatron Plus battery. Keep in mind that almost all lead acid automotive batteries sold in the USA are made by just 2-3 manufacturers; so they’re all about the same. Just look for a good price for one that fits your vehicles and has the proper specs. I replace my batteries every 5 years, even if they test good.
Also, don’t fall for the marketing gimmick battery warranty.
Sometimes the new battery terminals require shim caps for a good tight fit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think I'll be making a trip to Walmart in the morning for a $98 EverStart MAXX. My DieHard dated 10/11 was weak yesterday and totally flat today. Seems to have taken a charge well but given it's age I may as well replace it. Have a little road trip planned tomorrow and Walmart is open early so they win.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I put in an Interstate from Costco recently. They were hesitant to sell it because they said it might not fit, something about raised vs. flush caps on the top... but it fit perfectly. I don't remember the price, but I think it was fairly cheap.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts