Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2014 Touring Elite. The van won't start this morning. Got jump start and looks like the battery might need replacement. Any recommendations on a brand? What are the good specifications on battery we should be looking for in new one?

Thanks
Snehal H Rana

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,176 Posts
Interstate Batteries (or any equivalent Johnson Controls/Clarios brand) have always done very well for me. Go to Costco - good price, good quality, great return policy. I chose to go with an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery, but the regular FLA (flooded lead-acid) batteries are what the van originally came with and they're just fine to use too. A bit cheaper too.

If you feel like doing some reading...

Reactions: jiantao

·
Registered
604 Posts
For those who are not Costco members, I've done very well with Walmart's Everstart Maxx. Under $100, full 3 yr warranty.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Since I travel, I went with Walmart because they are located in smaller cities. Like 2011.2017.Odyssey's experience, I've had two replaced under warranty.... actually got $1.75 back once because the price of the replacement was less then what I originally paid!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
10 Posts
+1 on costco...

They keep refunding me for batteries that don't make it past the full warranty.

buy one, get the rest for free.
😄
Same here. My battery from Costco died around 2 years. I got a free replacement. Not sure if I will get a second replacement if it stops working within the warranty period?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I also +1 on Costco's Interstate battery; and currently have Costco Interstate battery.
BUT my previous Interstate battery died only after 2 years. Thankfully they had 36 months money back guarantee (They now 'only' have 30 months guarantee now) so I exchanged to new one.
Hopefully it doesn't die within 2 years again but knowing that Costco always backs up with their great warranty, my mind is at peace.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
982 Posts
Costco will give you a new one. The warranty resets with replacements, because technically, they are refunding you for the old one and then you're buying a new battery. My 2 year old one died in my Camry this year, took it back, they refunded me in full (the old battery had a 42 month warranty). The price of batteries had increased $5 since 2018, so I had to pay an additional $5 since the refund didn't cover the full cost of the new one, and the new batteries only have a 36 month warranty.

Wal-Mart is also a very good option.

BTW, Costco's books will say they don't carry batteries for Odysseys. Why? Because the OE batteries have "flush vents". What are flush vents? No idea, and they don't serve any real purpose. I don't know why Interstate specifies that the batteries need flush vents on Hondas, since other batteries (such as the one you get from Wal-Mart) won't have them. You can just buy the regular non-flush vent battery from Costco and it will work just fine. There are a few threads on this, I think. That's what I'm going to do when my OE Honda battery that the previous owner installed dies. Since it's been installed in 2018, the car's needed an AC clutch relay replaced, from what I presume was an electrical drain, along with an alternator in 2019. But, the battery's lived through all that, coming up on 3 years... I wonder when it'll be time to replace.

·
Registered
302 Posts
OP, I got an AGM from Pep Boy's on sale for similar price as Costco one.
So far it's been working well.

Project Farm on youtube did a great episode on this. It's worth taking a look to see how he tested the batteries and what he found out.
Just give us some Cliff Notes please!
His vids are great, but finding the right one can be a chore.

·
Registered
415 Posts
We also have a 2014 Touring Elite which we purchased new in Oct. of 2014. In Feb. of 2018 our battery failed and I couldn't find one a Costco so I got one at our Dealer's Part Dept. for ~$129. I was happy to see it had a 100 month warranty. Well two days ago the van wouldn't start and the sliding doors wouldn't close after opening. :(

I initially looked at the battery and wondered if it was the factory battery since I always go to Costco. The wife reminded me that we changed the battery so I looked for my receipt. I was happy to find that we were just barely within the 36 month 100% replacement window and drove it to the dealer. At first they wanted me to have the van there. :mad:
Then they said they would need to test the battery. First test came back inconclusive so they wanted to charge and retest, telling me it could be 1-3 hours. I agreed to wait and happily about 5 minutes later they told me it failed and brought me a new battery. He then tested the new battery and had me on my way.

Before leaving I asked if I should charge the new battery before using it and he told me there was no need. When I got home I connected it but decided to disconnect it and charge it just in case. When I connected my charger it initially was showing 75% SOC but as soon as I started charging it, the SOC dropped to 40% and slowly went up. After about 7-8 hours charging at 8AH it was fully charged.

My question now is "why did the first replacement fail so quickly?". I assume some of it could be a lot less driving due to the pandemic but I was still surprised. Could it be that their batteries aren't charged well? Is the testing they do before giving them to you killing the batteries? Also, I asked Honda about the warranty on the new battery and they told me that it starts from the date of the first battery I fully paid for. So unless this one fails in the next month, I'll be paying something for a replacement of this battery.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
982 Posts
We also have a 2014 Touring Elite which we purchased new in Oct. of 2014. In Feb. of 2018 our battery failed and I couldn't find one a Costco so I got one at our Dealer's Part Dept. for ~$129. I was happy to see it had a 100 month warranty. Well two days ago the van wouldn't start and the sliding doors wouldn't close after opening. :(

I initially looked at the battery and wondered if it was the factory battery since I always go to Costco. The wife reminded me that we changed the battery so I looked for my receipt. I was happy to find that we were just barely within the 36 month 100% replacement window and drove it to the dealer. At first they wanted me to have the van there. :mad:
Then they said they would need to test the battery. First test came back inconclusive so they wanted to charge and retest, telling me it could be 1-3 hours. I agreed to wait and happily about 5 minutes later they told me it failed and brought me a new battery. He then tested the new battery and had me on my way.

Before leaving I asked if I should charge the new battery before using it and he told me there was no need. When I got home I connected it but decided to disconnect it and charge it just in case. When I connected my charger it initially was showing 75% SOC but as soon as I started charging it, the SOC dropped to 40% and slowly went up. After about 7-8 hours charging at 8AH it was fully charged.

My question now is "why did the first replacement fail so quickly?". I assume some of it could be a lot less driving due to the pandemic but I was still surprised. Could it be that their batteries aren't charged well? Is the testing they do before giving them to you killing the batteries? Also, I asked Honda about the warranty on the new battery and they told me that it starts from the date of the first battery I fully paid for. So unless this one fails in the next month, I'll be paying something for a replacement of this battery.
3 years is about what we can expect. My understanding is that these vans have a lot of electronics in them (for example, power sliding doors, navigation, security system, etc.) that are rather hard on the battery. Even on most other basic sedans, batteries only last about 4-5 or so years anyway. It has nothing to do with the initial charge or testing.

FWIW, I had a Costco battery fail at just over 2 years on a Toyota Camry with not many electronics. I did deplete it 3 times accidentally, though, so that probably had something to do with it. 3-4 years is what many people get out of batteries on the Odyssey, so you should probably plan for that going forward. My uncle's 2017 Subaru Outback also had its original OEM battery fail just under the 3 year mark, too (35 months), so it's not unusual.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks, I'll just get ready to factor that in to our maintenance plan. I guess that I am super lucky with my Audi A4, bought in Oct. of 2013 and still have the factory battery. I figure I'm living on borrowed time with the Audi. :) I am just used to the 6-8 year replacements of the past.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
982 Posts
Thanks, I'll just get ready to factor that in to our maintenance plan. I guess that I am super lucky with my Audi A4, bought in Oct. of 2013 and still have the factory battery. I figure I'm living on borrowed time with the Audi. :) I am just used to the 6-8 year replacements of the past.
Batteries usually do have some sort of warning sign before they fail, and the risk is more or less mitigated with a portable jump starter, so I do usually wait until there's some sort of sign to replace. Although, honestly, it's a really good idea to replace them every ~5 years or so regardless. I would do that if my battery was 5 years old and I was planning on taking a long trip somewhere. My oldest battery is pushing 6 years, with no signs of slowing down, but that car is mostly driven locally.

Nearly 8 years on a battery in an electronic-heavy Audi is pretty darn good.

Reactions: skelsall

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
likely a bosch battery...

set aside 300 for your next one.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
982 Posts
likely a bosch battery...

set aside 300 for your next one.
Are the Bosch batteries that good? That's the one that's pushing 6 years in my Camry. I've never had a battery last this long besides the OEM Panasonic one that came with the Camry brand new in 2001.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Are the Bosch batteries that good? That's the one that's pushing 6 years in my Camry. I've never had a battery last this long besides the OEM Panasonic one that came with the Camry brand new in 2001.
not much experience with them, except that replacements are pricey and apparently worth it.
3 year full replacement including roadside.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts