Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just give us some Cliff Notes please!
I don't remember the whole video, but I seem to recall some retailers are selling the same batteries just under different names, and it convinced me to buy my next battery from Walmart.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yes there are only a few battery manufacturers. Believe Walmart gets them from the same factory as Interstate (Johnson Controls). I’ve got a friend who worked there. Very little difference but for the thickness of the lead plates.

I get mine at Walmart (EverStart Max) and like others if your anywhere in the US there is normally one nearby for a replacement. If I get 3 years in Texas heat I consider that a win. Think I’m on my third year on the one in my Van now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
we had ours replaced at the dealer after about three years. Cost was about $200, or about $30-$40 more than the DIY options but the dealer provided a lifetime warranty. Since then, we’ve had it replaced two more times under warranty. Being on our fourth battery in almost ten years is ridiculous but at least we only had to pay for one.

if you want to buy one yourself, Walmart is a good source.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have 2014 Touring Elite. The van won't start this morning. Got jump start and looks like the battery might need replacement. Any recommendations on a brand? What are the good specifications on battery we should be looking for in new one?

Thanks
Snehal H Rana

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have 2014 Touring Elite. The van won't start this morning. Got jump start and looks like the battery might need replacement. Any recommendations on a brand? What are the good specifications on battery we should be looking for in new one?

Thanks
Snehal H Rana
Please hear me out: If you buy the least expensive battery and maintain it, it will outlast the most expensive battery.

The Wal-Mart batteries I've purchased performed as well as Interstate and lasted over 5 years. One lasted nearly 10 years. I live in Minnesota.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For those who are not Costco members, I've done very well with Walmart's Everstart Maxx. Under $100, full 3 yr warranty.
Me too. Had one for 11 years in my muscle car. Helps if you never drive it lol. But yeah that's all I run is the never start maxx. They are also made by Johnson controls.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Thanks
Snehal H Rana
Lots of electronics in these vans, when used on many short trips adding a battery tender may be good investment.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You can check the condition of a discharged battery by looking at the total ampere-hours it takes to charge it from, say, 11 volts to say 13.4 volts. If your discharged battery takes less than an hour to recharge on a 15 amp charger, it is about to fail. You might get a few days or a few weeks out of it before you need help.

Also, if you get in the habit of noticing the brightness of your headlights or the interior lights when you start your vehicle, that will tell you something about a battery that is good, or is about to fail. By the time it is "slow" to crank and start, your lights will go excessively dim during cranking, so get a new battery almost immediately.

I bought a Bosch AGM battery from Pep Boys with a $40 rebate and a four year warranty at a great price ($110 after rebate) about a year ago and it failed quite suddenly, within a week after charging somewhat normally. Pep Boys discontinued this brand of AGM battery after numerous premature failures. So - avoid Bosch AGM batteries.

As others have mentioned, Costco is an excellent place to buy a regular flooded battery because of the easy replacement procedure. And the price is right, too. You used to be able to shop there on a free one-day pass at a 5% price increase, if you don't have the use of a Costco card. You will need a card for a warranty adjustment.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Battery purchases are one of those things where you step up and pay, and sometimes you just don't get what you pay for. I don't think you can necessarily equate battery life to what is on the label. Better batteries usually cost more from the same reseller, so there, you are likely to get something by paying more - but not necessarily.

Consumer Reports used to test batteries, but the product under the label changed frequently, and some of every model and brand will likely fail early, no matter the service conditions. Walmart, Costco, Sams Club, and some sales, offer batteries for decent prices. Once I bought a battery from Advance Auto Parts store out of necessity, and you wouldn't believe what I went through to get a free warranty replacement. They checked the battery as "good", and wanted to sell me a new one, after I had charged it at home, then drove 15 minutes to get a new battery. I waited around maybe an hour to demonstrate, and of course, the vehicle would not start. Only then, they replaced it under warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
THERE IS NO GOOD TIME FOR BATTERY FAILURE

Whether it fails one morning in your garage as you were about to go somewhere alone, or dies hundreds of miles from home with several people aboard in 110 degree heat, battery failure is terrible.

Simply replace it every 36 months. Replacing it at home is easy, shop and buy a new one at your convenience, install it at your convenience (along with cleaning, replacing cables, etc.) in your own garage with refreshments nearby. No muss, no fuss. I have 5 cars and never keep a conventional battery beyond 36 months.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Appreciate all the responses. I am going to try Costco first. On Interstate site, it looks like unavailable. I will try calling first to see if any available at other locations. If not will go with Walmart.

Just curious, if Die Hard Platinum AGM any good at Advanced Auto Part:
I know price is bit high but is it worth trying?
It’s very weird, the Interstate site... they told me the one battery I wanted, but it was never available in any store, not even the ones registered as the official distributors.

(This was back in 2016. They had the one for my Odyssey 2000, but not the one for my Accord 2000.)
I was very determined. I had ordered mine at Firestone in February (maybe it was an MTP-59 or MTP-56), so I would call every month or two to see if they had received it from Interstate. The months went by, and they finally had it in stock in November (yes, 7 months!!). Too bad the brakes failed and I sold the car the following May ;-(

·
Registered
35 Posts
THERE IS NO GOOD TIME FOR BATTERY FAILURE

Whether it fails one morning in your garage as you were about to go somewhere alone, or dies hundreds of miles from home with several people aboard in 110 degree heat, battery failure is terrible.

Simply replace it every 36 months. Replacing it at home is easy, shop and buy a new one at your convenience, install it at your convenience (along with cleaning, replacing cables, etc.) in your own garage with refreshments nearby. No muss, no fuss. I have 5 cars and never keep a conventional battery beyond 36 months.
Yes! That’s what I do. The hassle and danger of not being able to start just isn’t worth struggling to get the extra two years out of them.
Actually, I solved all these problems by carrying a Noco Genius in each vehicle!! My 2016 Ody battery (new last year) just died in front of Dick’s last week as I was picking up a treadmill, and in the five minutes before they brought it out, I’d jump started it already so I was able to drive closer.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Thanks
Snehal H Rana
Optima or Odyssey are the best. I plan maintenance on a large fleet of generator sets. We use Optima batteries in our fleet, generally red top for starting. Its an AGM battery, VRLA, a bit more expensive than flooded lead acid, they self discharge much slower than flooded lead acid, typically last a few more years than flooded lead acid, should be less damaged by leaving the lights on and draining the battery, and they don't off gas so the terminals stay cleaner for a long time and they have very low internal resistance which gives them great cold cranking amps for starting. It was one of the few batteries that would start my equipment at -50F. We've tested at high temps too where they fail sooner, but every battery suffers in the heat. The batteries store more energy per unit volume so a physically smaller battery compared to flooded lead acid will provide the same starting capacity as the larger battery. The low self discharge means a 6 month old optima sitting on the store shelf will be less discharged than a flooded lead acid battery. I figure the performance advantages and longer life are worth the extra cost. The Optima and the Odyssey batteries both use a pure lead plate design that provide even better performance than a standard AGM battery. The Odyssey batteries have a rectangular plate design similar to a flooded battery which the optima has a spiral plate design so the odyssey can pack even more energy into the same battery size form factor compared to an optima, but the Odyssey batteries have been significantly more expensive than the Optima batteries when I priced them to put in my ford. Just pay attention to the optima battery starting performance and reserve minutes and it should start your vehicle. Optima batteries are not manufactured in as many sizes as flooded lead acid batteries. I haven't replace my Odyssey van battery yet, but when I replaced the battery in my ford I could not find an exact fit in Optima. I chose a battery with the starting power required and it was actually smaller than my prior flooded battery so a fashioned a clamp extension to secure the Optima with the car battery clamp. It's been going for enough years that I don't remember how long ago I purchased it. the Optima batteries are also durable and will work in any orientation making them a favorite of the off road 4 wheelers. My brother uses them in his Jeeps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought the battery from Costco last year. It is about the same price as the Walmart battery in this post. Most of my car batteries are from Costco.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've always had good success with Diehard Gold batteries although all the ones I've had have been bought from Sears. Advance Auto now carries that line so not sure if the quality has changed or not. I will, however, purchase another one when the need arises.

·
Registered
60 Posts
AGM batteries need a (slightly) different charge profile than FLA batteries. If your vehicle is not designed for it the AGM may be damaged by the higher charge voltage from the alternator. I'm not sure if the ODY computer can be set for AGM or not. Would like to know if anybody has that information.

Most FLA batteries are crap built from re-re-re-re-recycled lead batteries. They have tremendous failure rates and are no where near rated Ahr capacity (not really too important for starter batteries). Cold, heat, quality, and use all affect longevity. You can get virgin lead FLA batteries at a significant cost increase (and specialty retailer). The same goes for AGM the recycled lead batteries have a know failure rate. There is also an option to get AGM made with virgin lead as well. I chose not to go that option because the local store carrying the battery had to 3-10 day special order it. I cannot wait that long for a replacement if required. My 2017F150 needs an AGM battery and I bought a replacement at Walmart with a 5 year full replacement warranty. They may have changed that by now. The casing mold was identical to the OEM battery casing mold of a slight different color plastic (PP maybe). I also kept the old one and put it on a charger as a backup. So if the battery dies I can still drive to Walmart to get a replacement and not be in a rush.

If you want your battery to last a long time then keep it on a good quality charger as much as possible.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you want a good battery, buy a Deka from East Penn. JCI batteries are crappers, at least they always were for me. Almost always leaked around the posts. Maybe quality improve under Clarios but maybe it will get worse.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts