Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found and read a great artilcle "How to Bed-in Your Brakes" from this forum http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
did a search but not really dedicated from the topic above.
I have done my shares of brake pads/rotors replacement and never really did what the article suggested. I always just follow the old fashion way "break in like when it was new"
In summary you drive about 60MPH,hit the brakes and let off till 10MPH then do it again 7 more times. Sound easy but I don't have any place to do this plus don't want the popo pulling me over. (this will ruin the process)
My question is how many of you DIY'ers or professional actually follow this methods?

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
I've done a proper bedding on my Dodge 1/2-ton 4x4 when replacing the front rotors (that's the last time I replaced a set of brake pads). It stopped all the "warping" problems. Well, the rotors weren't warped...they just felt that way, with judder and vibration occurring at every stop. See this link, posted by one of our other DIYers, benjiboy:

Stop Tech Article Debunks "Warped" Rotors

I couldn't find significant runout on my truck's "warped" disks, but all it took was an uneven deposition of pad material on the disk to cause the braking problems I experienced.

In short, I'm a believer. I've followed this method once before, and it works. Bedding the brakes makes the pad material deposition process uniform, and my truck's brakes were working smoothly up until the day I sold it a few years later.

Feel like you got "warped" disks? It's not the disks, it's the uneven distribution of material deposited on them by the pads by not bedding them properly. This additional Stop Tech article is addressed in your link:

Stop Tech Article on Brake Bedding

We've just turned 100,000 miles on the original pads and rotors on my 2003 EX, and my wife's 2002 EX is close behind at over 92,000 miles on original pads and rotors, too. When I change out the pads, I will do this bedding process once again.

OF

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
I follow it and I have posted this very article before in a brake pad change thread.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried to do it early this morning but I averaged around 50mph. Found an empty parking lot but the ody needed a lot of room going 10mph to 60mph!!!:mad: When is it too late to "bed in" pads/rotors? after 1K miles or 5K miles?

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
No idea if there is a number of miles you should do it by. I've only done it once, and had to find a stretch of early-morning freeway to do it.

OF

·
Registered
114 Posts
the OPs link is dead

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
fallout09890 said:
the OPs link is dead
Not any more. OP had a period at the end which the forum s/w added to the link. I have corrected that.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Pad bedding varies per brand and material.

You'll find some that do not require anything special besides easy driving for a few hudred miles.

Stoptec aticles are a bit over used, mostly because they have written many aritcles and posted them on the web. They do have some good info, but its not the end all of brake knowledge and they stretch some topics and terms a bit.

Guys I went to school with are engineers at Hayes Brake Performance (they make brakes for Polaris, Harley, and Triumph to name a few) do not agree with everything Stoptech writes. Everyone has an opinion, and more than one can actually be correct. Just read the directions...LOL!

·
Registered
7 Posts
RinconVTR said:
Pad bedding varies per brand and material.

You'll find some that do not require anything special besides easy driving for a few hudred miles.

Stoptec aticles are a bit over used, mostly because they have written many aritcles and posted them on the web. They do have some good info, but its not the end all of brake knowledge and they stretch some topics and terms a bit.

Guys I went to school with are engineers at Hayes Brake Performance (they make brakes for Polaris, Harley, and Triumph to name a few) do not agree with everything Stoptech writes. Everyone has an opinion, and more than one can actually be correct. Just read the directions...LOL!
I hear what you are saying..
I'm an old-school ex CGMAT (for 30+ years but let it expire in about 07- retired!) and I'm ashamed to admit that I never kept up with pad material technology this closely. The concept of abrasive friction is what I 'grew up' with, and somehow I totally missed understanding about adherent friction so I'm finding all of this extremely helpful.

I'd be very interested in any links or references to info about the evolution of pad materials that your Hayes buddies might be able to share. I'm suspecting that for the 'average Joe' a bed-in procedure more like the YouTube video link (thanks for that, btw palcapt) is all that is needed, but being an old tech, I just gotta find out for myself!

And here I was cursing all the Honda techs for being sloppy with lug torque & patterns causing my Ody's (unacceptable) front wheel vibes! If this works (new pads & rotors getting turned today at 44k), I'll publically apologize!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have roughly followed this procedure on 4 brake jobs on my VW and 2 on my Ody. All turned out fine. The Ody doesn't need very special treatment for a brake job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts