Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a 2010 ody. I use as a service vehicle. I am a service electrician. I had adjustable arms (for alignment) installed on back suspension. I was advised to do this (becuase I carry materials) by the mechanic I regularly use. He also advised me that the ody was not the best choice for a service vehicle. Because it was not designed to hold a lot of weight. I have some volume in my back area, but not a lot of weight.

I plan on upgrading to a 2018 (or newer) ody towards fall. I am planning on also having adjustable arms installed on back suspension.

Does anyone have an idea of the best way (if at all necessary) to beef up the back suspension on a 2018 (or newer) van?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great question. I recently did a bunch of work on our 08. I'm using it short term until I get my truck fixed and will then deliver it to my daughter. I've been using it for a few days and it is a GREAT utility vehicle. I'm a beekeeper and I do a lot of bee hive removals. This requires a lot of tools and gear. If I could keep this odyssey I would in a minute. I'd take out the seats and gut the interior other than the front seats. There is so much room and it's easy to access it.
Honda should make a cargo odyssey with a heavier duty suspension. ( a diesel would be awesome too)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great question. I recently did a bunch of work on our 08. I'm using it short term until I get my truck fixed and will then deliver it to my daughter. I've been using it for a few days and it is a GREAT utility vehicle. I'm a beekeeper and I do a lot of bee hive removals. This requires a lot of tools and gear. If I could keep this odyssey I would in a minute. I'd take out the seats and gut the interior other than the front seats. There is so much room and it's easy to access it.
Honda should make a cargo odyssey with a heavier duty suspension. ( a diesel would be awesome too)

That is an awesome idea. Especially with a diesel. That diesel engine will outlast anything on that vehicle. I wouldn't be surprised if you would get over 500k on the OD with a diesel.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
That is an awesome idea. Especially with a diesel.
And how many diesels does Honda make? (Don't hold your breath!)
Back to a serious note. If you're removing the middle seats, consider removing the rear as well (in case that wasn't considered part of the 'gutting'). Fabricate a cover and you maintain the flat floor and have hidden storage.
Maybe consider airbags to adjust the rear when it's light or loaded?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back to a serious note. If you're removing the middle seats, consider removing the rear as well (in case that wasn't considered part of the 'gutting'). Fabricate a cover and you maintain the flat floor and have hidden storage.
That would be badass.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Id recommend those red air bag kits. They are about $100 and they go inside the rear coil spring. I have them on my 2nd gen because we have a full load of kids and a camper quite often. It has totally transformed the car into a much more predictable handling and softer ride all while haveing lots of weight in the back.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Cargo coils worked great for me. $120 plus tax and shipping, 30 min to install. When you compare them to original coils, you'll see huge difference, they are a lot stronger.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A friend of mine sends me links from cars that are overseas. He's a huge fan of diesels. One time he sent me a link for a 4-cylinder Honda Odyssey. I think they're made in Japan but not over here.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,301 Posts
A friend of mine sends me links from cars that are overseas. He's a huge fan of diesels. One time he sent me a link for a 4-cylinder Honda Odyssey. I think they're made in Japan but not over here.
The 1st generation Honda Odyssey here in North America was also 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
None of those 4 cylinder Hondas were Diesel, they're all gas. And all of those 1st gen Ody's were imported from Japan.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Of note, diesel trucks go millions of miles because they do millions of interstate miles. How long does anyone think a truck, diesel or gas, lasts in NYC, certainly not millions of miles.

A heavy duty gas engine, doing interstate, would also probably also last millions of miles, and weigh twice as much as a normal gas engine. Most personal vehicles age out long before the engine does, especially for older people like me!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Of note, diesel trucks go millions of miles because they do millions of interstate miles. How long does anyone think a truck, diesel or gas, lasts in NYC, certainly not millions of miles.

A heavy duty gas engine, doing interstate, would also probably also last millions of miles, and weigh twice as much as a normal gas engine. Most personal vehicles age out long before the engine does, especially for older people like me!
Diesel engines last. No question about that imo.
Also, who cares about NYC? NYC SUCKS! Again imo

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
And what does Diesel engines (that Honda does not make) have to do with the original topic of beefing up the Ody's suspension in order to carry more junk in the trunk!?! :unsure:

·
Registered
35 Posts
And what does Diesel engines (that Honda does not make) have to do with the original topic of beefing up the Ody's suspension in order to carry more junk in the trunk!?! :unsure:
What are you? The "topic" police?
Lighten up Francis.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts