Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides hovering here for years and keeping things tidy and civil, recently our beloved Gen 2 Ody was hit in the rear with a uninsured driver last Sat. The damage is substantial to the tailgate and minor side panel damage. Luckily the subframe and bumper is intact (except for the upper rubber strip). Only one of the tail lights cracked.

Most important, I was not injured and the airbag did not deploy. In essence, I'm going to have to fix this out of pocket having recently removed the collision coverage due to vehicle age, 10 years old, at nearly 200,000 miles on it's 2nd tranny with such a low resale value, it didn't make sense for the coverage. Call it bad timing on my part.....:rollingeyes:

Estimates for the repair put it at 3000 to 3500, more than what the vehicle is worth. So what am I going to do? Being a DIY kind of guy, I'm hoping to locate a replacement / used tailgate with decent lights / window?

Don't know if the latch is damaged as we can not open the hatch currently but we have humongous leaks (air) in the rear so we can't drive the Ody in fear of exhaust fumes entering the cabin......

Any suggestions where to find a tailgate for a Gen 2 would be great. I'm willing to drive to pick it up too if reasonable?

Thanks Odyclub members. PM would be great if you need to contact me too?

Chiody..... Ed in real life from Chicago, IL

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Good to see you back but sorry to hear about the circumstance. So no chance the offender is helping with the cost? I'd try calling some junk yards, some have part location services. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Jeep Grand Cherokee driver provided a non functioning phone number but we did file the police report as the drivers license was secured at the scene. Unfortunately, advice from our insurer, Geico, as well as authorities recommending legal proceedings (small claims court) as the avenue to pursue. And "that" process can take many months to file, secure a court date, and hear the case. Plus the recovery of funds rests upon the ability to pay ultimately. It's going to be a very long time if restitution will occur IMHO.

In the meantime, we would like to find a tailgate, and I'm going to remove the rear panel from the inside, to access the lock to release it and hope to open the hatch.

Thanks for the recommendation.....

Ed

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Ah, so that person is a waste of time. Maybe they'll at least take the offenders license. People like that peeve me off.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Try this: www.car-part.com

What color is your van? Is there a U-Pull-It salvage yard near you?

I'd pursue the guy legally just on principle, even if it may be a waste of time.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Chiody,

what color is your ody? i have a lead on a silver one but its in Los Angeles.... still trying to find out what the price is.

CK

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Chiody,

You can have the driver's wages garnished if you win in small claims court. I did this to a high school auto shop teacher in my area when he ran over the top of my Acura with his Toyota Land Runner (he did not have insurance either). Got his attention really quick. Also, Illinois State Police were not too happy with this fella either, suspended his license for 90 days and charged him some pretty hefty fines. Justice may be slow, but good feeling to know that guys who drive without insurance will get their just rewards.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Victory Auto Wreckers in Bensenville. Limited selection, but cheap prices and they let you pull 'em yourself.

Sorry to hear it. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
Glad you are okay, Ed. Even if you had kept the collision insurance, the insurance company probably would have bought out the van for a song. They wouldn't be obligated to fix it.

Good luck with the tailgate.

Dave

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi Chiody,

Sorry to hear about you damaged Odyssey. Glade to hear you're all right. Check ebay, I saw three Gen 2 tail gates for $500-$900 range all with shipping in the $100-$200 range. Years ago I needed a tailgate for a Ford Range pickup, I kept an eye on ebay and got the tailgate in correct color including shipping for $400. Bolted it on and off I went. Lots of luck, Russ.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
chi-town, we're glad you walked away from that accident. I just don't know how people can miss seeing a big ol' minivan in front of them with three brake lights illuminated, but it sure as heck seems to happen a lot!

Russ, glad to see you're still around the campus!

I know it seems over-stated and diluted, but wishing a happy 2012 to all of you guys.

I don't see anything on Chicago Craigslist, but Grand Rapids has one for parting out that got hit up front:

Craigslist Link

OF

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
chi-town, we're glad you walked away from that accident. I just don't know how people can miss seeing a big ol' minivan in front of them with three brake lights illuminated, but it sure as heck seems to happen a lot!

Russ, glad to see you're still around the campus!

I know it seems over-stated and diluted, but wishing a happy 2012 to all of you guys.

I don't see anything on Chicago Craigslist, but Gand Rapids has one for parting out that got hit up front:

Craigslist Link

OF
Odyfamily, thanks for the link. I just called the seller and he already sold the tailgate.

Never thought of craigslist, thanks for the idea!

Ed - aka, Chiody

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Chiody,

Sorry to hear about you damaged Odyssey. Glade to hear you're all right. Check ebay, I saw three Gen 2 tail gates for $500-$900 range all with shipping in the $100-$200 range. Years ago I needed a tailgate for a Ford Range pickup, I kept an eye on ebay and got the tailgate in correct color including shipping for $400. Bolted it on and off I went. Lots of luck, Russ.
Russ,

Going to search ebay today.... thanks for the suggestion. We're getting used to NOT driving our beloved Ody. I guess the Accord will be our only vehicle for now....

Ed - aka Chiody

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dave,

You're correct as Geico would've paid out the Ody. As is, our Ody drives fine, on it's 2nd tranny, and we hate to see it go. Hence will repair it sooner rather than later hopefully. I hate to work on it in our frozen garage. Chicago city proper has detached garages on our city lots. Have used those portable heaters before but the fumes are atrocious.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Ed - aka Chiody

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the followup, ours is White but I really don't care as it'll be repainted in most cases.

I'm concerned about the shipping as LA is quite a distance from Chicago. And the cost may be prohibitive?

Ed - aka Chiody

·
Registered
55 Posts
I pass a silver 03 every day that has been sitting at a body shop for the last year. Has front end damage. Can look into it for you if you like. My zip is 24343

1 - 17 of 17 Posts