Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yikes, the beige dash is actually black underneath the paint. I had accidentally put some scratches. Honda is really cheap to paint the black dash so match the beige color. Anyone know how to get touch up paint the blends with the dash.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think the dashes and airbags for most cars are black underneath. I remember having to have a dash part replaced on a GM car a few years ago and it had to be painted to match. The dealer where I purchased my Ody has a Dr. Vinyl that does their scratch repairs. I asked once about dyeing (its paint to me, dye to him)the airbag to match my taupe steering wheel and was quoted $30-35, but haven't done it yet. Find out who the dealers use in your area.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I searched high and low on the internet but cannot locate how to dye the black spots on the dash. Anyone knows how to dye or touch-up the spots. I'm thinking of shoe dye. :(

·
Registered
883 Posts
I think what you need is vinyl dye or vinyl paint (different names for the same stuff, I think). Old car restorers use this stuff all the time to fix up old intereiors. Many of the reproduction parts are only made in black. I haven't used it myself, bu it's on my to do list for the old 'Bird. Try auto body sppply or auto trim supply stores or paint shops.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
MBODYDRIVER,

Your best bet is to bite the bullet and pay the $30-50 to have it touched up by a pro. My bro-in-law is in the business, and he has done many of my friends cars, and you honestly can never tell a repair has been done (rips, holes, stains, or scratches to vinyl, leather, dashboards, door panels, carpets, vinyl and conv. tops). Go to any of the local dealers (new car) and ask who they use and what day he works their lot. Typically, the guy shows up once or twice a week at specific dealers and goes over all the used car inventory.

There are products you can purchase at an auto paint store, but you would probably have to dye the entire dash to make it look right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too have seen the black marks on our dash face. I could not figure out for the life of me where they were coming from. I assumed they wre from shoes and were mearely scuff marks.

However, using some vinyl cleaner and elbow I was able to ge them clean.

TKG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts