Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Ten minutes into a local run to the mall yesterday my wife realized that she hadn't put on her safety belt.

Wasn't that supposed to trigger a light on the instrument cluster indicating that a front seat belt is not latched? That's how it is in our Honda Accord.

As a test, I unbuckled my belt. Sure enough the light came on right away. It didn't matter for my wife's belt though.

Is this the way it is in the Ody? Just wondering.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You don't mention whether you're talking about the driver's seat or one of the others. I know the driver's belt shows a light on the dash when unbuckled, but I don't think any of the others do. I'll let you know if that's wrong next time I can check.

------------------
Chuck
Ody Pictures and Projects

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Chuck,

Yes, I'm talking about the belts other than the driver's ... specifically the front passenger's as mentioned earlier.

If you could check if the alarm/light goes off when the front passenger light is unbuckled, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
70 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by errol:
Hi Chuck,

If you could check if the alarm/light goes off when the front passenger light is unbuckled, I'd appreciate it.

</font>
I went and unbuckled my passenger light, and no alarm went off. Can't get the darn passenger light buckled again, though. Arhgh! Any suggestions?

Just kidding.
My Ody's not in the garage right now, but I'll check for you next time we're in it.

My only question is, how would it know someone was in the passenger seat? It'd have to have a sensor of some sort, and most cars do not. They have a driver's seat seat-belt warning, but they don't need a sensor for that (natch). Perhaps it would have an alarm light that would come on if a lap belt was unbuckled after the car was started or in motion or something like that, but that sounds a bit convoluted to me . .

------------------
'01 SS Honda Odyssey EX
'99 F150 XL Supercab
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi gram,

I think I just figured it out.

My Accord passive restraint system has two components for the driver and front passenger: the automatic shoulder system and the lap belt.

The shoulder harness can be unbuckled from the side pillar latch. When that is unbuckled not the lap belt, the light on the instrument cluster illuminates. That is what's throwing me off with the Ody.

I now realize that the Ody has a different set up: a combined shoulder and lap system. So, it makes sense not to implement a system that senses the front passenger seat belt since there will be cases when there won't be a passenger there.

Thanks. More coffeee pls.

r,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
70 Posts
You did make me curious enough to ask my wife to unbuckle her seatbelt after we got underway today. Just as I suspected, no warning light.

------------------
'01 SS Honda Odyssey EX
'99 F150 XL Supercab
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7

1 - 7 of 7 Posts