Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The check engine light came on, I'd like to pull the code and figure out what the issue is. I have a nice laptop, don't want to lay down hundreds of $$$ for a code reader with its own processor when I've got one right here. I looked online and there are hundreds of USB / Bluetooth options for plugging the laptop into the van - any recommendations? And what software (cheap / free) goes best with it? I don't mind googling codes, the main objective is to find out what's happening in there, maybe get some data to play with, and not pay too much. There are a few similar threads on the site but the ones I found are all a few years old. My laptop runs Win 8 or linux (ability to script things with bash would be fun but not that important).

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you just want a simple tool to read codes, look at this one

Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive

or this one

http://www.amazon.com/XiTech-XR-90-...1CEG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1328219130&sr=8-8

IMO - unless you are trying to track ODB data over time, the laptop hookups are more trouble than they are worth - they serve a purpose greater than just reading the occasional code

This one is decent if you insist on using the laptop

Amazon.com: ElmScan 5 Compact USB OBD-II Scan Tool & OBDWiz Engine Diagnostic Software (423001): Automotive

1 - 2 of 2 Posts