Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just ordered our 02 RRP EX Odyssey last week from North Markham Honda near Toronto, Canada. Because of the ridiculous price they charge for extended warranties (e.g. 7/160/0 for MSRP Cdn$1539), we declined the extended warranty.

Having many posts in this forum talking about shopping for deals regarding extended warranties in the States, I assume that we can also shop for extended warranties in Canada. I believe that warranties purchased from the States are not valid here. I see very few posts talking about similar lowest price deals in Canadian dealers. Is there such a thing? Do all Canadian dealers charge near-MSRP prices, or needs to be negotiated together with the purchase of the Odyssey itself?

By the way, I also declined the rust protection package -- the lowest I can negotiate to was Cdn $450, which I believe is still too expensive. The deal with the van itself, however, is not too bad, it was just that it's harder to negotiate with the business manager.

Ulysses
---
'02 RRP Ody EX, cargo tray and mud guards

·
Registered
301 Posts
I found that most dealers will not move from the MSRP for the Honda warranty. I paid MSRP of $1230cad ($787us) for my 7/160 warranty without RSA. This was back in July for a 2001. Maybe rates have gone up.Also the dealer made the warranty fully refundable if I do not use it.

$1539cad ($985us) still isn't that bad. The best deals in the US seem to be about $865us. We don't seem to have the competition for these things here in Canada. I would be leary of buying an EX without the warranty if you are going to keep it beyond 3 years. Those power door fixes can add up fast.
Probably the best way to do it is negotiate it in with the overall purchase but when it comes to the Ody the dealer usually wins.

Our fault for buying a quality product.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the quoted $1539 Cdn was for the 7/160/0 warranty with RSA. I agree that the extended warranty on an EX is quite justified. However, I was not informed of any policies related to full refunds if not used after the warranty period. I will try to ask about it. Is it usual with respect to the Canadian extended warranty, or is it just a few specific dealers?

I am just not used to using the real exchange rate for calculating comparisons with US versions of Odyssey-related prices, usually it's more like 1.33

------------------
Ulysses
---
'02 RRP Ody EX expected, cargo tray and mud guards

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On Edmund's discussion boards, I found the following information about shopping for extended warranties in Canada:

---
#1542 of 1669 Re: extended warranty twist by ponch49 Aug 23, 2001 (05:59 pm)

It pays to shop around for the Honda extended warranty prices, even in Canada. I have done so, via the internet, and have found a dealership in Canada willing to sell the 7yr/160,000 kms warranty (without roadside assistance) for $970.00 Cdn (roughly $665.00 US).
---

Perhaps I should start calling up dealers and at least ask about it.

------------------
Ulysses
---
'02 RRP Ody EX expected, cargo tray and mud guards

·
Registered
84 Posts
I did not elect to get the extended warranty for my 2001 EX but am now considering. Pacific Honda in North Vancouver faxed me a price sheet. It looks to be a general Honda Canada letter.

For the "comprehensive" Honda Plus the retail prices ("dealer may sell for less") are printed as follows:

4/100000 $477
5/100000 $602
6/100000 $737
6/160000 $1139
7/160000 $1336

There is a "major component" only prices list which is ~$200 less for each and the above not include the roadside assistance insurance.

Also, my vehicle has 9000km since Nov '00(low since my wife's toy) and dealer said no problem in getting extended warranty now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts