Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I had Accord 2008 (leased) and was told by the dealership to use regular gas. Now when I bought Odyssey 2012, a few friends suggested that I should use Premium or at the minimum Plus as I will be keeping the car. They suggest that it is better for the car for several reasons.

What do you guys suggest and what results you have seen in mileage, engine performance etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Regular. Even better if it does not have ethanol, but it is difficult to find. THAT is something that we all could beneft from!

Higher grades are a waste of money in my opinion, and do not provide any significant benefits for a car that is tuned to use regular gas. There is at least one thread about highest mileage displays. DO a quick search.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Octane is resistance to combustion.
Octane has nothing to do with cleaner or Better gas. And buying higher octane doesn't make it last longer. The odyssey was designed to use 87 octane. Most of the gas comes from the same refinery, the only difference is the additives the gas company puts into their tanks which is one part to a thousand or something in that range. What I do is buy a fuel system cleaner and use it once every 2-3 months on a good trip.

·
Registered
626 Posts
As mocha said, use regular, but if you have a need to find the best gas for your van, go hunt down a non-ethanol station instead of going for premium or plus. Non-ethanol gas definitely gives you more mileage per gallon than the normal 10% ethanol stuff that seems to be everywhere. I just wished we consumers had a choice at every station for non-ethanol!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Megatron, it is only our government trying to "help" that brings us ethanol laced gas. Supposedly was to help our dependence on foreign oil all the while helping our struggling farmers. In fact, the program by all measures has been a disaster, and the ethanol directives should be eliminated. Not only does it lower mileage in cars, it pretty much destroys two cycle engines by gumming up their more delicate fuel systems. Another example of our govenment helping.... <rant off>

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
In ordinary driving, use regular. If you plan on driving it 250k miles, put a bottle of Chevron Techron injector cleaner in the tank when your oil change indicator gets down to about 15%.

In my 03, Honda actually does recommend premium when towing. Reading between the lines, this isn't to give the van "more power" but to avoid the condition where a hotter than usual engine starts to have pre-ignition and then retards the timing to avoid ping. (i.e. power would be reduced as the engine heats up). I suppose it might also apply for long mountain grades and racing (lol). But for an isolated freeway ramp romp here and there, no benefit.

·
Super Moderator
13,837 Posts
Well, the sticky uptop says please try and use the search. Did you try searching? We have several threads for this discussion and each one of 'em say use what the owner's manual recommends which would be REGULAR. You can mail me 20 cents a gallon or more difference if you feel like spending more money. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Go for regular, no doubt about it, but try to use top-tier gasoline when convenient. I feel that there is no need to be religious about using top-tier to fill your car, but I do believe that it's better for your engine. See this website for info: Top Tier Gasoline

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wanted to add my 2 cents to this discussion. As an ASE Certified Master Mechanic and owner of 4 Odyssey in the last 11 years (2005 EXL, 2008 EXL RES/NAV, 2010 Touring, Current - 2015 Touring Elite)

Facts:
- Honda Odyssey J35A7 has 10.0:1 compression ratio
- All Compression Ratio to Octane guides I have ever seen at minimum say anything 10 or above requires premium, many guides say even lower than that require 91 or higher.
- Octane - a figure indicating the antiknock properties of a fuel, based on a comparison with a mixture of isooctane and heptane.
- As temperatures increase higher octane is needed to avoid pinging in same conditions
- The higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the octane requirement.
- Owner’s manual says 87 or higher.
- With Honda V6 VTEC it has been proven on dyno meters with various J35 motors on Accord, and Pilot, and some Acuras that there is a gain of approx. 10hp from 87-91 octane. Pilots also gained 10 ft-lbs of torque.

The Honda PCMs are able to compensate for the octane level utilizing various sensors mainly a knock sensor. With regular gas, especially in hot temperatures, if it senses pinging, it will detune the engine a little to avoid this. With premium gas you avoid that problem and the car can run at more optimal levels, possible creating more HP and torque, then with regular fuel. Most reviews state that there is increased performance on the Honda V6 engines, but little to no increase in fuel mileage.
Another opinion is that premium fuels contain more cleaners, detergents, and agents, I do not know if this is still true. I do know they have studied off brand gas, and they have been proven to be worse for engines.
Also, some gas companies use a denser blend for the higher octane products, denser blends mean higher energy density per volume. That could also contribute to this increase.

Personally, I have seen both with my various Odysseys all were leased or purchased new from the dealer. We would see slight power increase on the 2005, 2008 but no mileage increase when running premium. 2010 had poor mileage from the beginning, and only running premium seemed to help it, though we did not feel any performance increase with premium. Due to these past experiences we have only run premium so far in our 2015.

However, unless your vehicle pings or knocks when running 87 Octane, you will not hurt anything by running regular fuel. Most people don’t buy an Odyssey as a “street performer” so the added HP may not even be notice! And if you run your own cleaner in it periodically, that negates the need for the “more cleansers/detergents” in premium. Also the manual states 87 or higher, so adding premium is also not going to hurt anything, except maybe your wallet!

On a side note, the bigger performance/mileage killer in fuel for Honda’s is not the octane level but the ethanol level. Test have been conducted on multiple engines with regular fuel with 0% ethanol, all the way up to 10% ethanol. As ethanol levels increase performance and mileage both decrease.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts