Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have it attached to the dashboard right now with sticky circle and suction cup. Other Ideas?
Don't want to use up lighter plug or the airvent?

Other thoughts?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Have it attached to the dashboard right now with sticky circle and suction cup. Other Ideas?
Don't want to use up lighter plug or the airvent?

Other thoughts?
I've been thinking the same, 'tho I'm not in rush to need a GPS in the car. I trust my manly internal gyro to ensure I found my destination.

After couple hours of being lost. :eek:

To me it quite depends on what aftermarket holders are available and what mounting locations are feasible to begin with. Do you want it near your driving sightline or, given the turn-by-turn voicing, does it matter ?

I was thinking perhaps in the little cubby under the HVAC. How to mount it there I've no idea. But I know I don't want a "permanent" and visible mount on the dash or off the windshield which would be inviting to B&E artists. So either a removable, or an inconspicuous (or both) mount would be desirable.

·
Registered
221 Posts
on another forum i'm on a guy put his gps IN the sun visor.

i'll edit this post later with a link.

[edit] here's the link:

linky

of course, you may have to chop up your current sun visor.

joel

·
Registered
730 Posts
on another forum i'm on a guy put his gps IN the sun visor.

i'll edit this post later with a link.

[edit] here's the link:

linky

of course, you may have to chop up your current sun visor.

joel
Interesting idea, but doesn't appear to be very practical.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah I was debating modifying the little coin holder unit in the second pull out cup hold and situating the GPS there. Wonder if that can be done stably?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This might be better:

·
Registered
730 Posts
The cupholder mounts are cool, I personally like the stalks, some mount to the seat bracket bolts and others on suction cups. But, while the versatility is nice, most seem to have a vibration issue ( not surprising) which makes it hard to read. The Garmin mounts are the 95% solution for me so I until a stalk is produced that cuts down on the vibration the OEM mount will have to do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I mount my TomTom with a suction cup up next to the rearview mirror. Never have to take my eyes off the road to follow the directions. Just a simple eye movement is all it takes to see the GPS, traffic behind, and in front. Never have to look away taking my eyes off the road in heavy traffic. Being up high, it is almost unseen from the outside of the vehicle.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How did you do with the power cabling? I wanna avoid having a drooping power cable across the entire screen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
here's where I placed my garmin...waiting for new model

I bought a friction mount from garmin and placed the gps on the dashboard bit off to the left of center console..
works pretty well for me...

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Here's my 2¢ and my mount. I use the windshield suction mount that came with my unit, and placed it on the small triangle window. That puts it to the left within easy reach and out of my view of the road (hate those drivers that put it on the windshield near the rear view mirror where it can block one's view).
gps.jpg
Some may complain that they can't use it with their left hand- not an issue for me. Others might say that their co-pilot can't reach it there. (I currently have no co-pilot/navigator, but that's a different problem!:() I can always unplug the leads, remove from mount and hand it to my navigator (when I'm safely stopped!;)).
You might also notice that the window is tinted. So far, after 6 months no problem. I waited a couple days after I tinted before I remounted the GPS. You might also notice that I ran the power and antenna cables under the dash and trim, with a small trimmed grommet to avoid chaffing. The antenna is centered behind the rear view mirror out of my field of view.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts