Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've purchased a Visteon floor center console video entertainment system for our 1999 Ody EX w/ factory radio/CD player and don't feel like paying $50+ to have it installed. All I need to hook up is 3 wires: +12V, +12V switched, -12V. Would it be best to tap into the stereo wires for power or go somewhere else? If the radio is best, can anyone tell me which wire is which (complete listing is always best)?

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mclarke:
All I need to hook up is 3 wires: +12V, +12V switched, -12V. Would it be best to tap into the stereo wires for power or go somewhere else? If the radio is best, can anyone tell me which wire is which (complete listing is always best)?

Mike
</font>
Doing it at the radio will give you all the connections you need, but be sure to check the current requirements of your console to be sure you will not exceed the circuit's max current.

I assume you mean ground, not -12V.

White/Blue +12V from Battery
White/Red +12 V Switched
Black is ground

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quite right: it should have read ground, not -12V... but it is technically correct from a geeky standpoint. Many thanks for the information. I'll be sure to check current ratings, but it shouldn't be too high since the unit includes a VCR and 6.4" LCD, not a CRT.

Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you're looking for a simple way to make your hookups, take a look at photo 6 in the photo album linked below.

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=77901383303&n=456984917

Here's an excerpt from my writeup on installing my overhead monitor system:

Wiring Tips:
Upon wiring everything up, I tied all of the main grounds to the factory grounding point near the passenger’s lower seatbelt mount. The constant and switched power was accessed from the passenger’s fuse panel (beside the passenger’s right foot). I used the Littlefuse Add-a-Circuit fuse taps because they didn’t require any cutting of factory wiring. Pep Boys sells them and they are ideal for this application. Be sure to get the Mini-ATO size (http://www.littlefuse.com/PDFs/Products/aftermarket-13.pdf)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts