Honda Odyssey Forum banner
201 - 220 of 313 Posts
Replace, don't waste money on cutting them. I just learned this myself! And while you're at it replace the pads, they're cheap and you'd hate yourself if you try to reuse and they become the source of a problem for the sake of $40 in parts! Mine had a lot of life left, but I didn't trust the setup and replaced them outright...

There's another thread here on the specifics, I did Centric Premium Rotors and Posi-Quiet pads though if I were to do this again I'd probably go with Akebono's for a few dollars more (more overall positive reviews with the later). I did the installation myself, took quite a few hours as it had been a while and I did a lot of cleaning and such, but totally do-able. Total cost was like $150 in parts, done. The cut to cut my old rotors was $140 so it was a no brainer... And the van is totally solid now, no more vibrating in the front end, not stop chatter, like brand new. RockAuto or TireRack for the parts...

If you don't want to do the install, TireRack can recommend installers for you too.

Replace, don't waste money on cutting them. I just learned this myself! And while you're at it replace the pads, they're cheap and you'd hate yourself if you try to reuse and they become the source of a problem for the sake of $40 in parts! Mine had a lot of life left, but I didn't trust the setup and replaced them outright...

There's another thread here on the specifics, I did Centric Premium Rotors and Posi-Quiet pads though if I were to do this again I'd probably go with Akebono's for a few dollars more (more overall positive reviews with the later). I did the installation myself, took quite a few hours as it had been a while and I did a lot of cleaning and such, but totally do-able. Total cost was like $150 in parts, done. The cut to cut my old rotors was $140 so it was a no brainer... And the van is totally solid now, no more vibrating in the front end, not stop chatter, like brand new. RockAuto or TireRack for the parts...

If you don't want to do the install, TireRack can recommend installers for you too.
Thank you Andrew.

Is the consensus here to switch to Centric rotors instead of OEM rotors, are the centric ones not supposed to warp?

The brake thread I was referring too...

Above is the thread I was talking about, read through this one and there are others to Search thru as well...

I don't want to speak like I'm an expert here that's just what I went with... There are other options, the Centric have a good reputation and are reasonably priced so I thought I'd give them a whirl.

Since then I've installed all new Centric Premiums on my 2007 Toyota Avalon with Akebono pads and WHAT a difference this made. Now in all fairness, the OEM parts were good and ancient but having all new brakes is always nice. We'll see how these hold up over time, I'll let others chime in here or again do a search as this was discussed in another thread recently.

In hindsight I probably should have gone with the Cyro Centric's and Akebono pads, spent a few more bucks now in hopes these would last longer. But we'll see, the total cost was peanuts compared to OEM Honda and the dealership doing this work! $132 total shipped to be exact (as per that thread, I couldn't remember the total!).

The rotors on my '16 EX-L were OEM originals, and they were warped. I knew this when I bought it, I thought about cutting them and then joined up here and the light went off based on recommendations here. Some I'm new to all this too in other words, but glad I found this forum!

Speaking of which, have you changed your transmission fluid recently? ;)

Thanks again. I had replaced the ATF 2 yrs ago, just got a two drain and fills today at the dealer while I was getting alignment for the new tires.
I will drain and fill once more and I will call it a day.

I won't have time to order new rotors and pads and install them before our trip next week, just have to live with the shudder for a week more.

I think I will try Centric and see if I get better life compared to the OEMs.

I have found factory rotors do suck.

You should buy the best rotors you can afford... do not cheap out there. Any local auto parts store can supply those. For pads, I like Wagner, again buying the best ones you can afford. When it comes to brake parts you get what you pay for. And for the price, I always replace the pads with new rotors. Do it once, do it right.
second this. sometimes you gotta pay the price for the quality you want. for pads i like wagner as well and stoptech.

i've been having the same problem, but whenever i speed up more than 75 m my car starts to shake. than when i brake it'll shake as well. any suggestions on what it may be?
A shake at 70+ mph might be tires out of balance. Mine is starting to do that as well. Going to bring them in and get them re balanced.

Shaking while braking? I'm thinking thats rotor related. Warped, uneven residue buildup, whatever you want to call it. Getting my front rotors resurfaced by the service center under warranty cured that for me (for now).

i've been having the same problem, but whenever i speed up more than 75 m my car starts to shake. than when i brake it'll shake as well. any suggestions on what it may be?
My van was shaking over 80 and a new set of tires solved that problem. I also had pulsing in some braking situations so I replaced the rotors and pads.

Reactions: AmandaW
A shake at 70+ mph might be tires out of balance. Mine is starting to do that as well. Going to bring them in and get them re balanced.

Shaking while braking? I'm thinking thats rotor related. Warped, uneven residue buildup, whatever you want to call it. Getting my front rotors resurfaced by the service center under warranty cured that for me (for now).
Thanks for getting back! the mechanic said it is the tires so i am going to get them re-balanced tomorrow. as far as the shaking while i break hes going to look into that when i bring it in for the re balance.

I wanted to chime in on my new brakes I put on a couple of months ago. After reading extensive posts on here about replacement brakes / rotors - I decided on Raybestos.
I couldn't take the OEM shaking / vibration anymore. We bought it new in 2012 and 19k miles later-- it was pulsing. Of course back then the dealer wouldn't even consider helping. A while later had the rotors turned at a local shop for a good price and the van was good for about a year. We don't drive it a whole lot ;)

The pads were pretty much worn out front and back at 63k. After reading lots of recommendations for the Raybestos brand - I went with them. ;) I have used Raybestos products for a long time in the past and they have never failed me.
EHT1521H pads in front; EHT1281H in the rear. New Raybestos performance rotors up front as well [0980738] . Its a simple DIY job. I bled / replaced the fluid too. Nice pads and hardware included. I followed their recommended break-in method and it has been great. Not loud, not dusty... perfect.
We recently went on a trip in the mountains and I was hard on the brakes at speed. No problems! I look forward to smooth braking for years to come. I will report back after 30k miles and see whats happening.

Good luck on your search for replacements. Thanks to all for their feedback.

I wanted to chime in on my new brakes I put on a couple of months ago. After reading extensive posts on here about replacement brakes / rotors - I decided on Raybestos.
I couldn't take the OEM shaking / vibration anymore. We bought it new in 2012 and 19k miles later-- it was pulsing. Of course back then the dealer wouldn't even consider helping. A while later had the rotors turned at a local shop for a good price and the van was good for about a year. We don't drive it a whole lot ;)

The pads were pretty much worn out front and back at 63k. After reading lots of recommendations for the Raybestos brand - I went with them. ;) I have used Raybestos products for a long time in the past and they have never failed me.
EHT1521H pads in front; EHT1281H in the rear. New Raybestos performance rotors up front as well [0980738] . Its a simple DIY job. I bled / replaced the fluid too. Nice pads and hardware included. I followed their recommended break-in method and it has been great. Not loud, not dusty... perfect.
We recently went on a trip in the mountains and I was hard on the brakes at speed. No problems! I look forward to smooth braking for years to come. I will report back after 30k miles and see whats happening.

Good luck on your search for replacements. Thanks to all for their feedback.
Did you put on front rotors from the 2015 model year that have the vents hats?

I replaced brake pads and rotors on my 2011 Ody which is now approaching 80K. I put on more than 1K on the new one and this has made significantly improved driving. Bought items from Rock Auto as listed below and paid $ 298.16 including shipping.
Akebono ACT1281 Brake Pad $ 45.79
Akebono ASP1089A Brake Pad $ 43.99
Centric 12040072 Rotor (2X) $ 36.79
Centric 12040075 Rotor (2X) $ 41.79

An independent shop charged me $320 including new brake fluids. Overall I'm really happy as I drive close to 50 miles daily.

Don't waste your money on the OEM rotors. If you insist on doing it, don't use OEM pads with them.

From what I gather on the different brake threads I have seen on here, the OEM rotor and pad combination is not up to the task of stopping these vans. Changing either one will get you better results, but going aftermarket for both is the best way to go. Plus it can be much cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Don't waste your money on the OEM rotors. If you insist on doing it, don't use OEM pads with them.

From what I gather on the different brake threads I have seen on here, the OEM rotor and pad combination is not up to the task of stopping these vans. Changing either one will get you better results, but going aftermarket for both is the best way to go. Plus it can be much cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Are you saying to just buy any 2011 aftermarket rotors? Or to buy 2015 aftermarket vented hat rotors?

201 - 220 of 313 Posts