Honda Odyssey Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought my 2018 Odyssey "Touring" model a few weeks ago. After doing some research I bought a 32 GB thumb drive for $12. It was formatted in "FAT32" format which is what is necessary for the Odyssey to recognize it. Then loaded numerous movie files in mp4 format, also necessary for the Odyssey to recognize them. When I plug the thumb drive in and select it as the source all the movies appear and play fine. I should be able to get around 30 movies on one 32 GB drive. If that's not enough I can always get an additional thumb drives.
How would I find/get movies in mp4 format?

·
Registered
179 Posts
How would I find/get movies in mp4 format?
Copy your existing movie file to new location.

now rename your file extension. example below

file.mkv >>>> file.mp4

more cases your file will be now mp4 formate, if this not work there is software available to convert them. google.

I have 128gb sandisk usb drive. downloaded 25 to 30 video files from youtube in mp4 format and plays well. of-couse there is some glitches on RES system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Add my name to the list of people that went with the Amazon Firestick. Super easy and my kids are loving being able to Netflix and chill in the van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Add my name to the list of people that went with the Amazon Firestick. Super easy and my kids are loving being able to Netflix and chill in the van.

Hooked up the Firestick a few nights ago, worked like a charm as long as I plugged it into the standard outlet in the front. Kodi works perfect. The only thing is that I was running off the house wifi.

delm - are you powering it from the USB? Also, are you using the AT&T hotspot plan? I have yet to try it out since I just got my Odyssey last week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hooked up the Firestick a few nights ago, worked like a charm as long as I plugged it into the standard outlet in the front. Kodi works perfect. The only thing is that I was running off the house wifi.

delm - are you powering it from the USB? Also, are you using the AT&T hotspot plan? I have yet to try it out since I just got my Odyssey last week.
Also powering it from the jack up front. The USB ports provide about half needed by the firestick.

Yes - I did use the AT&T hotspot plan. Works great. In my experience, tethering off of a phone provides a pretty slow connection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We are leaving for our first long trip today. Subscribed to the $20 unlimited plan and I have a bunch of stuff on a USB drive plugged into my Roku. Should make things a lot easier than switching DVDs in the old van. I am also going to try to hook up the Nintendo Switch for the first time, that should keep them occupied for a few hours.
We just brought home our Elite on Wednesday and I am now trying to figure out the easiest media solution ... I hate flipping DVDs while driving, and my kids are old enough to use a remote themselves.

I have a couple of questions about your Roku setup...

1. ATT is very spotty in our area. Do we need a connection to play local files from a hard drive attached to the Roku?

2. Can the Roku be powered by one of the 2nd row USB ports or do we have to send the cord up to the outlet in the front?

Thanks!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just get an extender from Monoprice or Amazon and don't damage the covers. Many options for port directions are available or just a straight one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also, anyone looking to hook up a Chromecast in their Odyssey, I used the following items to hook it up/secure it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EPIIELO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WV8XR8N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/GBSTORE-Plastic-Adhesive-Adjustable-Management/dp/B01GZX6G1W/

I did need to trim a bit of plastic from the 90 degree HDMI adapter to get it to go all the way in, but it's perfect now. No worrying about it getting kicked out/bent.

If anyone wants pics, I can take some later when I get home.
Thanks for this great idea @jumpmanjay ! does chrome cast allow to cast to it without a wifi? I am not paying for a access point so if chromcast can't do that, then I assume tablet has to create an access point so chrome cast can connect to it and receive casts that way?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Accord07 or JoshFink, do you believe that any Plex DLNA server would work with the Honda "Media Servers" interface? I bought a HooToo Travel Router which is a tiny USB powered wireless router and DLNA server. The Odyssey connects to this wifi network, sees the DLNA server, but does not show any of the contents. However, when I take the same USB drive with MP4 and MP3 contents out of the HooToo and into the Honda USB, the files play fine. My theory is the DLNA server on the HooToo is somehow not supported, because I can play the contents via other DLNA clients. I am considering adding a Raspberry PI Plex server into the mix if the Odyssey would play nicer with the Plex DLNA. Too bad more is not known about the DLNA support.
I also gave it a shot with a HooToo Tripmate Nano. I was able to get the Tripmate to join the Odyssey's wifi network, and the other way around, but in neither case did the Media Server app detect the DLNA server on the Tripmate. Pulling the USB key out and plugging it into the car works, but then we can't access CarPlay. I'm focused on a local media player solution instead of eating my data plan with video streaming, so I'm going to give the Micca Speck G2 a shot next. I will report back once I've had a chance to play with this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
As a follow up to my previous post on this. We've been using the $199 Nvidia Shield on every trip and the kids love it. I loaded up my movies on an portable USB drive (4TB) and run Kodi on the Shield and it works perfectly. Nothing needs to be transcoded, the kids have pretty much everything they need on the hard drive and if I want to add more videos to it I just unplug the hard drive, bring it inside and add more movies.

We've easily done ten 5+ hour trips with it and it's worked flawlessly every time.

I think next I'm going to look into tying the Shield plug directly rather than plugging it into the front outlet and then look into a very small UPS that would keep the Shield powered for when I get gas and such without the whole thing turning off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As a follow up to my previous post on this. We've been using the $199 Nvidia Shield on every trip and the kids love it. I loaded up my movies on an portable USB drive (4TB) and run Kodi on the Shield and it works perfectly. Nothing needs to be transcoded, the kids have pretty much everything they need on the hard drive and if I want to add more videos to it I just unplug the hard drive, bring it inside and add more movies.

We've easily done ten 5+ hour trips with it and it's worked flawlessly every time.

I think next I'm going to look into tying the Shield plug directly rather than plugging it into the front outlet and then look into a very small UPS that would keep the Shield powered for when I get gas and such without the whole thing turning off.
My solution is a Xiaomi Mi Box S. Similar to your Shield, but less powerful and also cheaper. Got mine for $40. I do have a Shield Pro at home. Using it as a Plex server. The UPS is a great idea. Please give us an update when you have figure out what to use.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My solution is a Xiaomi Mi Box S. Similar to your Shield, but less powerful and also cheaper. Got mine for $40. I do have a Shield Pro at home. Using it as a Plex server. The UPS is a great idea. Please give us an update when you have figure out what to use.
Not much of an update but I think I'm going to build out a Raspberry Pi that can be powered off the built in USB ports. They make some UPS's for the RPi's that essentially charge and stack on top of it. I can mount that small form factor much more easily and I don't need the big Shield plug.

Unfortunately, lack of time has prevented me from working on it. I'll update when I do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah. I don't use any data on mine. I keep the movies local on a hard drive and just connect the Shield to play local media. While I have the unlimited data connections are spotty when you're driving down the road.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah. I don't use any data on mine. I keep the movies local on a hard drive and just connect the Shield to play local media. While I have the unlimited data connections are spotty when you're driving down the road.
The Fire queues up a ton - drove for two hours and didn't have a single issue.
(versus a movie streaming on a Delta Air Lines flight with pixelaton... last week)

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is my solution as well. It is A LOT more versatile than a fire TV Stick because it has a regular USA A input on it and you can throw some movies on a cheap 64gb usb stick, and play them locally using the Kodi--no internet required. Then of course, you can play Netflix, Hulu, PBS Kids, etc etc since its still a full featured Android TV device and stream it from the car hot spot or a phone hot spot. (Tip-- If you stream Hulu/Netflix from the Xiaomi using a phone hotspot-- AT&T, and i'm sure others, have the stream saver feature which reduces the stream quality to 480p to reduce on data consumption)

Its super small, and can power it off of the rear USB charge ports. Have not had to mess with or bother needing a UPS for it. It cuts power and fires right back up just fine for the past few months. I tucked the HDMI and usb pwoer cords down,a nd zip tied the actual stream box under the passenger steam to the frame mount. Still easy to reach down and pull the usb drive out to copy new movies to it.

Power via rear USB Cables - $6: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR6DFAD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Xiaomi Mi Box S - $40: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Xiaomi-Mi-Box-S-4K-HDR-Android-TV-with-Google-Assistant-Remote-Streaming-Media-Player/677842593

·
Registered
24 Posts
An option that's worked well for us is a Raspberry Pi Zero running OSMC. We've loaded it with both video's & music.

What we like:
- Doesn't use any data
- The little people can use a remote control or more frequently we'll give them a choice of available content and start it using the Kodi Remote App on our mobile phone up front.
- We can see what's playing, build a queue / playlist, see the remaining time, etc. from an app on our phone.
- It's worked 100% of the time (so far)

I'd be happy to provide additional info if anyone needs it.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts