Honda Odyssey Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
An option that's worked well for us is a Raspberry Pi Zero running OSMC. We've loaded it with both video's & music.

What we like:
- Doesn't use any data
- The little people can use a remote control or more frequently we'll give them a choice of available content and start it using the Kodi Remote App on our mobile phone up front.
- We can see what's playing, build a queue / playlist, see the remaining time, etc. from an app on our phone.
- It's worked 100% of the time (so far)

I'd be happy to provide additional info if anyone needs it.
Great idea. Especially the part where you can control content from a phone up front. Doesn’t the zero lack networking? Media is loaded on the microsd or USB attached storage?

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is my solution as well. It is A LOT more versatile than a fire TV Stick because it has a regular USA A input on it and you can throw some movies on a cheap 64gb usb stick, and play them locally using the Kodi--no internet required. Then of course, you can play Netflix, Hulu, PBS Kids, etc etc since its still a full featured Android TV device and stream it from the car hot spot or a phone hot spot. (Tip-- If you stream Hulu/Netflix from the Xiaomi using a phone hotspot-- AT&T, and i'm sure others, have the stream saver feature which reduces the stream quality to 480p to reduce on data consumption)

Its super small, and can power it off of the rear USB charge ports. Have not had to mess with or bother needing a UPS for it. It cuts power and fires right back up just fine for the past few months. I tucked the HDMI and usb pwoer cords down,a nd zip tied the actual stream box under the passenger steam to the frame mount. Still easy to reach down and pull the usb drive out to copy new movies to it.

Power via rear USB Cables - $6: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR6DFAD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Xiaomi Mi Box S - $40: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Xiaomi-Mi-Box-S-4K-HDR-Android-TV-with-Google-Assistant-Remote-Streaming-Media-Player/677842593
O wow! Thanks for the tips on the power through USB cable! Didn't even know it existed. No I can save the front plug for other uses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First thing I did when I pulled our new van into the garage off the lot was brainstorm uses for the HDMI port. Since my kids' entire movie collection is on Apple TV, I opted to go the Apple TV route. I mounted the box under the center console rear vents with 3M velcro strips (tip: the flattest surface is near the edge, so the Apple TV will stick out about 1/2" if you want the 3M strips to make good contact. Adjust the placement of the 3M strips back a little further and have the pull tabs face the rear so they don't show like mine do :) )

In addition to the purchased movies, we've also used Netflix and DirecTV Now via the vehicle AT&T hotspot with no issues. I find myself using the Siri voice commands to play whatever we are trying to play and then let my 3 year old tell me if it's on the menu screen and ready to play yet :)

View attachment 145827 View attachment 145825 View attachment 145829

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the Microsoft Wireless Display adapter v2 and it is a miracast device. It works good with my note 8 without any accessories or additional wifi connection. It is basically mirroring device of my android phone or windows 10 laptop. So I can play anything locally or remotely and the same video and sound will be on the entertainment screen. If you have a spare android phone, you may use it for the purpose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great idea. Especially the part where you can control content from a phone up front. Doesn’t the zero lack networking? Media is loaded on the microsd or USB attached storage?
Media is kept on a 128gb microSD card. At home the zero connects to the Wi-Fi network and I can load new content via FTP.
On the road the zero & my smart phone connects to the Van's WiFi network. It's all local traffic and that's how the Kodi remote works. So...to answer your question the Zero doesn't have an Ethernet Port but it does support Wi-Fi. Other important tid-bit...it works with the low power USB ports Honda provided. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Media is kept on a 128gb microSD card. At home the zero connects to the Wi-Fi network and I can load new content via FTP.
On the road the zero & my smart phone connects to the Van's WiFi network. It's all local traffic and that's how the Kodi remote works. So...to answer your question the Zero doesn't have an Ethernet Port but it does support Wi-Fi. Other important tid-bit...it works with the low power USB ports Honda provided. Hope this helps.
Do you have the at&t subscription for the van wifi? Or does it still work without it?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Okay folks - for those who have LOCALLY STORED VIDEO files - what are you using to rip/store the videos?
Apple/Amazon/Netflix/even Comcast that download videos have DRM, so I've failed in the past.

·
Registered
11 Posts
An option that's worked well for us is a Raspberry Pi Zero running OSMC. We've loaded it with both video's & music.

What we like:
- Doesn't use any data
- The little people can use a remote control or more frequently we'll give them a choice of available content and start it using the Kodi Remote App on our mobile phone up front.
- We can see what's playing, build a queue / playlist, see the remaining time, etc. from an app on our phone.
- It's worked 100% of the time (so far)

I'd be happy to provide additional info if anyone needs it.
I actually started down this path as well with a Pi Zero Wireless loading OSMC on it and realized I was spending too much time trying to over engineer it. A simpler (for most users), and about the same price, option that is more versatile (can also do streaming apps, games, if wanted), and faster (PiZero is painfully slow) is the Android TV based Xiaomi Mi Box S.

-Does not need to use data (Don't attach it to a WiFi-- Kodi will pull movies off a regular, cheap USB stick)
-Still have the option of using the Kodi Remote App as you mentioned as well
-Can be powered by the USB port
-Additional options of streaming services if you want

Overall, has worked great for us. No issues thus far. But everyone's solution im sure works for them. I just try to get the word out about this little box because it's not very well known, and its tiny. It's basically a much cheaper and smaller alternative to the NVidia Shield TV.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I ended up purchasing an Apple Lightning AV Adapter which allows you to run an HDMI cable from an iPhone. I ran a HDMI cable under the middle rubber floor mat and between the middle row seats where my 11yo can easily access it. It will mirror the iPhone on the RES display. Before we go on a trip I have the kids download their shows and media from Netflix and Prime to their device before we hit the road.

If my wife wants to watch from the front passenger seat she can run the same cable off her iPad so she can view the movie on the iPad while the kids are watching on the RES screen.

My oldest has also ran his Xbox off of the RES without any issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Accord07 or JoshFink, do you believe that any Plex DLNA server would work with the Honda "Media Servers" interface? I bought a HooToo Travel Router which is a tiny USB powered wireless router and DLNA server. The Odyssey connects to this wifi network, sees the DLNA server, but does not show any of the contents. However, when I take the same USB drive with MP4 and MP3 contents out of the HooToo and into the Honda USB, the files play fine. My theory is the DLNA server on the HooToo is somehow not supported, because I can play the contents via other DLNA clients. I am considering adding a Raspberry PI Plex server into the mix if the Odyssey would play nicer with the Plex DLNA. Too bad more is not known about the DLNA support.
I also gave it a shot with a HooToo Tripmate Nano. I was able to get the Tripmate to join the Odyssey's wifi network, and the other way around, but in neither case did the Media Server app detect the DLNA server on the Tripmate. Pulling the USB key out and plugging it into the car works, but then we can't access CarPlay. I'm focused on a local media player solution instead of eating my data plan with video streaming, so I'm going to give the Micca Speck G2 a shot next. I will report back once I've had a chance to play with this.
I've tried for couple of days, but nothing I do works.

I've setup DLNA server on my phone (BubbleUPnP) and I have one on the home NAS. I have verified that the servers are up and running, as they can serve content to my other devices throughout the house.
On the Odyssey, I tried:
- Connecting to home WiFi
- Connecting to phone's WiFi Hotspot with Internet Sharing

I can see the Odyssey's WiFi connection (on my home router, and on my phone), however when I go to RES -> Media Servers, it just says that nothing is found.
I tried stopping and starting the car ignition to "reset" the RES, but no luck.
It just doesn't see any of my DLNA servers.

Also, as a side question, on the RES, there are 2 apps (Happy Kids and Kids Toons or something), those seem to be internet streaming services. However none of them played any content for me. Any ideas?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've tried for couple of days, but nothing I do works.

I've setup DLNA server on my phone (BubbleUPnP) and I have one on the home NAS. I have verified that the servers are up and running, as they can serve content to my other devices throughout the house.
On the Odyssey, I tried:
- Connecting to home WiFi
- Connecting to phone's WiFi Hotspot with Internet Sharing

I can see the Odyssey's WiFi connection (on my home router, and on my phone), however when I go to RES -> Media Servers, it just says that nothing is found.
I tried stopping and starting the car ignition to "reset" the RES, but no luck.
It just doesn't see any of my DLNA servers.

Also, as a side question, on the RES, there are 2 apps (Happy Kids and Kids Toons or something), those seem to be internet streaming services. However none of them played any content for me. Any ideas?
This might not be helpful for your use case, but what I did was just install a fireTV stick and forget about the built in software.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This might not be helpful for your use case, but what I did was just install a fireTV stick and forget about the built in software.
I understand, I have a spare AndroidTV device I can plug in, and then spend extra on all the ways to tuck away the wires and get power converter to USB, and angled adapters to prevent kids from kicking them... this will be my last ditch effort.

But I am not ready to give up on RES yet... why did I spend close to 10k more on the RES? Just for the screen? I could have bought two FireHD tablets and hung them from the front seats "just for the screen".

·
Registered
33 Posts
Alright, so today I tried that last connection method: instead of the car connecting to my router or phone's WiFi, I connected the phone (with DLNA server) to car's hotspot.

Still nothing found.
Is there a way to reset RES (just the RES, not the whole Audio Display Unit) to factory default settings?
It's like it's not even trying to search for DLNA severs, cause it comes up with nothing immediately.

I've read other people say they had success with DLNA servers, but those people aren't replying to my PMs :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
i just hooked up a roku in mine and conected to the att hotspot, works great
Most things work great. It acts as a tv which is fantastic. My biggest problem is the unit when you need to turn off the power to get gas or run into a fast food. When you turn off the power it turns off the unit. Not great to just turn off but also is a pain that it just shuts off the show they were watching and they have to go back in and find it again.

I still haven’t found a good, tiny, battery backup that I can put in there yet.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Most things work great. It acts as a tv which is fantastic. My biggest problem is the unit when you need to turn off the power to get gas or run into a fast food. When you turn off the power it turns off the unit. Not great to just turn off but also is a pain that it just shuts off the show they were watching and they have to go back in and find it again.

There is that, but at least that is predictable. My biggest gripe is with the random failure to establish the LTE uplink at engine start. It may not happen for two weeks, but then may happen twice within the same day. I can restart the engine, open and shut the door, so that it is power cycled and I have never encountered this failure two engine starts in a roll (and that leads me to speculate it is a simple timing issue related to the boot-up sequence). But it is very inconvenient when my kids complain about it after we already merged into traffic. For long road trips it has become a habit for me to confirm the link is up before rolling off my driveway.

·
Registered
24 Posts

I actually have a pretty complicated setup that consists of either an Old iPhone for streaming content from DirecTV Now or a Raspberry Pi for AirPlay or played saved content. Stopping for gas with either is easy. Press the Start / Stop Button Once, then press it again before opening the Driver's Side Door.

Until you open the door the power to the RES & Devices remains active.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I actually have a pretty complicated setup that consists of either an Old iPhone for streaming content from DirecTV Now or a Raspberry Pi for AirPlay or played saved content. Stopping for gas with either is easy. Press the Start / Stop Button Once, then press it again before opening the Driver's Side Door.

Hope that helps!
Thanks. I’ll try this. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
537 Posts

Hope that helps!
Actually that doesn't work on '18 Elite, which is what I have. As soon as the engine is stopped, power to the rear USB ports is cut, while the head unit remains on accessory power - the in-console USB port is driven by the head unit and remains powered. On occasions when I had to make frequent stops I resorted to powering the streaming device with the in-console USB port. The rear USB ports loses power as soon as engine power is cut, even though I can engage accessory power before exiting the vehicle the streaming device has been power cycled at that point; when engine power is restored, the rear USB ports power cycle again. As far as I can tell it is not a hardware limitation but a flaw in the firmware: when AIS is engaged everything switches to accessory power seamlessly without interruption, and when engine restarts the switchback is seamless as well.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts