Honda Odyssey Forum banner

101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Came across one of those "power banks" that support passthrough charging - that is, it can be charged while also supplying power to a device downstream. It is a Ravpower PB060, which has the shape of large candy bar and weighs around 4 ounces. The good news: it indeeds supports pass-through charging. The bad news: if it loses power from upstream (e.g., stopping the engine shuts off the rear USB ports in the van) while powering a device downstream (e.g., FireTV Stick), switching to battery reserve is not seamless and the short blip power cycles the device, so it is useless in the context of the discussion here. But then it is unrealistic to expect a sub-$20 piece of electronics to behave like an Uninterruptible Power Supply for computers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My solution is a Xiaomi Mi Box S. Similar to your Shield, but less powerful and also cheaper. Got mine for $40. I do have a Shield Pro at home. Using it as a Plex server. The UPS is a great idea. Please give us an update when you have figure out what to use.
I too loaded android tv to my mi box enhanced. For some odd reason there's no audio when playing YouTube. Did you have the same problem?

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a follow up to my previous post on this. We've been using the $199 Nvidia Shield on every trip and the kids love it. I loaded up my movies on an portable USB drive (4TB) and run Kodi on the Shield and it works perfectly. Nothing needs to be transcoded, the kids have pretty much everything they need on the hard drive and if I want to add more videos to it I just unplug the hard drive, bring it inside and add more movies.

We've easily done ten 5+ hour trips with it and it's worked flawlessly every time.

I think next I'm going to look into tying the Shield plug directly rather than plugging it into the front outlet and then look into a very small UPS that would keep the Shield powered for when I get gas and such without the whole thing turning off.
JoshFink, I've been looking for someone to positively confirm the Shield's offline useability for a while now. At first I was so focused on creating a duplicate PLEX server (or client) for travel, but then my research led me to the NVidia shield. Thanks for the post. You inadvertently helped me more than you know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
JoshFink, I've been looking for someone to positively confirm the Shield's offline usability for a while now. At first, I was so focused on creating a duplicate PLEX server (or client) for travel, but then my research led me to the NVidia shield. Thanks for the post. You inadvertently helped me more than you know.
I'm glad I could help. We use it on most trips nowadays. The only problem I continue to have is when we turn the car off and don't shut down the shield first. Sometimes it likes to do a consistency check on the drive and takes a couple of minutes to get fully working. Most times, we don't have that issue.

101 - 104 of 104 Posts