Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody that replaces the stock speakers in the doors seems to install the Pioneer 1695's. I see them at Crutchfield for $139.95. Is that a good price or would I do better at Circuit City or BestBuy???

Also, can they be installed without removing the door panel?

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
368 Posts
millionbuy.com has pioneer 1655's for $46, 1665's for $50.00. I used the 1665's and like them a lot.

No need to remove the door panel.

If you use the 1655's, no need to cut the rain shield. The 1665's require a slight bit of cutting the rain shield.

Don't have any experience with the 1695's.

------------------
'01 TW EX-N; Xenon "hid look" headlights; Honda Dash kit, Jensen Flip Down TV; Sony Mobile VCP; Questar Mobile DVD player; Cargo Tray; Leather wrap wheel; Pioneer 1665's; Infinity 452's, Glove Box light mod, door edge moldings, mud guards, wheel well moldings, '02 drink holders, Zaino'd

·
Registered
28 Posts
http://www.etronics.com/listproducts.ASP?iStart=31&manaf=&order=iWeight&prod_type=Car%5FElectronics%2FCar%5FAudio%2FSpeakers%2F6%2E5%22

eTronics $79.99. Shipping was outrageous ($27 (for 2 pairs of speakers) UPS ground I think) but I got them in 2 days, the week before Christmas.

I bought the 1695's & 6995's for my 98 Civic. The 1695's sound a little harsh, but I think I need more power than the stock radio can provide.

Or search using PriceGrabber. http://www.pricegrabber.com/

------------------
2002 EP LX
1998 Civic DX, Cyclone Blue Metallic
1992 Civic LX, Dark Red (154k miles, anyone want to buy it, runs great!)

Previous Hondas:
1987 Prelude, Gray (totaled in 2000 w/188k miles)
1978 Accord, Red

Other cars:
1982 Ford EXP (We all make mistakes!)
1969 Olds Delta 88 (with 10 speed bike in back seat in case it broke down)

Other:
2000 Yardman mower with a Honda engine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw on crutchfield a special "speaker baffle" for about $8. It's a surround type rainshild and it is supposed to add bass responce. Any thoughts on that??? I also saw the 1695's on "My Simon" for $79.95 plus $15 shipping...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
If you use the 1655's, no need to cut the rain shield. The 1665's require a slight bit of cutting the rain shield.

Don't have any experience with the 1695's.

[/B]</font>

------------------

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DWF,

Did you put the 1695's in your Civic or your '02 Ody?

If you put them in your Ody, then are you saying it wasn't money well spent???

This is my wifes van and if I tinker with it and the sound is worse then I'll be in the "can" for awhile....

I actually think the factory stero is decent in this van, but if I can make it better for less than $100 by adding new speakers then I'll be doing that!!!

------------------

·
Registered
205 Posts
Shanes-take a look at some of the older posts in this Audio/Video section for EXTENSIVE information on 1695s/speaker baffles, rain shields, etc.

------------------
2002 MB EXL-RES, (4) Pioneer TSA-1695s, mud flaps, Weathertech cargo mats, nose mask, Alpine VCR into RES, foglights, extra headsets.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DWF:
The 1695's sound a little harsh, but I think I need more power than the stock radio can provide.
</font>
More power will keep the speakers from "breaking up" at higher volume, but won't change the overall tonal characteristic. If you're talking about this, then by all means, get more power (head unit and/or amp). If you think they just sound harsh period, you need different speakers, IMHO. Of course, for $80, you'll be hard pressed to find anything that doesn't sound harsh relative to this speaker.

Just a couple of thoughts...

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shaners:
I saw on crutchfield a special "speaker baffle" for about $8. It's a surround type rainshild and it is supposed to add bass responce. Any thoughts on that??? I also saw the 1695's on "My Simon" for $79.95 plus $15 shipping...
</font>
Since the search doesn't work too well, in a nutshell, for most 6.5" speakers, they tend to work best without the baffle when installed in a door. This is definitely true of the Pioneer line of speaks discussed here. Many smaller speakers, like the 4" 1045 work better with a small enclosure.

------------------
-Shin John

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts

I actually think the factory stero is decent in this van, but if I can make it better for less than $100 by adding new speakers then I'll be doing that!!!
</font>
You can defintely get noticable improvment in your Ody by spending <$100. Speakers are really the bottleneck in the Ody sound sustem.

Sound quality is subjective however, so go out and audition some speakers and see for yourself. Pioneer is touted because of good price/performance ratio (can be had on the net for very cheap!). LOTS, and LOTS of other options, depending on budget, taste, etc...

Any other questions, let me know.

Good Luck

------------------
-Shin John

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everyones help. A new head unit is out of the question since I have the RES system in the van. So speakers are the most obvious choice for me. Maybe I'll pick up a pair and install them this weekend.

If like you say, the door panel does not need removed for a speaker swap, then they must be able to be changed through the grill opening in the door. I didn't look at it very close, but I think I remember seeing a place to stick a screwdriver to pop that grill off... does that sound right???

------------------

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
If like you say, the door panel does not need removed for a speaker swap, then they must be able to be changed through the grill opening in the door. I didn't look at it very close, but I think I remember seeing a place to stick a screwdriver to pop that grill off... does that sound right???

</font>
You got it! Be carefull not to gouge the plastic. Pull out then back.

------------------
-Shin John

·
Registered
28 Posts
DWF,

Did you put the 1695's in your Civic or your '02 Ody?

If you put them in your Ody, then are you saying it wasn't money well spent???
</font>
I put them in my Civic. The speakers were an improvement, but not what I was hoping for. It could be the Civics stereo (using CD's as the source), the acoustics of the stock grills, or my former audiophile ears have deteriorated to the point of not being able to handle listening to music is a small box. I could have spent a little less and gotten the same result. Maybe I'll try them in the Ody when the "newness" has worn off. I hate to cut into a new car.

------------------
2002 EP LX
1998 Civic DX, Cyclone Blue Metallic
1992 Civic LX, Dark Red (154k miles, anyone want to buy it, runs great!)

Previous Hondas:
1987 Prelude, Gray (totaled in 2000 w/188k miles)
1978 Accord, Red

Other cars:
1982 Ford EXP (We all make mistakes!)
1969 Olds Delta 88 (with 10 speed bike in back seat in case it broke down)

Other:
2000 Yardman mower with a Honda engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts