Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We tend to listen to tapes on parenting, etc., when we travel, and not so much to music. We don't have our van, yet, so I was wondering if the stock Honda setup is good enough for listening to someone talking instead of music? If not, what does anyone suggest to improve clarity and intelligibility?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Curculio,
Are you planning on getting an '02? I hear the '02 will have a slightly better setup than the current models (6.5" in the rear).

As with anything audio, "good enough" is very subjective. Different people have different standards and thresholds of what they would find acceptable. I honestly would suggest listening to the stock stereo (once you get your Ody) and evaluating for yourself.

In THEORY, the human voice has more midrange content than anything else, and therefore stock should be OK for many. However, it depends totally on the material you are playing. If James Earl Jones (extreme case) were reading your parenting material, then I'd say the bass content of his voice would not carry very well through the stock speakers. Most people find the factory speakers to sound very weak, and have to resort to MAJOR adjustments of the tone controls to get any decent upper end clarity or bass response.

My opinion, I think the human voice is notoriously difficult to reproduce accurately. The reason simply is that EVERYONE knows how the human voice is SUPPOSSED to sound... we hear it every day, and all the time. When system tuning, I like to use a deep male voice and a female vocalist as reference material to make sure that I don't go overboard on midbass, and to be sure make sure that intelligibility is at its best.

So, after a longwinded discussion, listen to the stock first; if you don't like what you hear, take a look at the Pioneer 1695, it's a great speaker for the money, and perfect for the factory upgrade..

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

1 - 2 of 2 Posts