Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using honda fluid in my 02 since the beginning and got 182k before It started to slip and I got it rebuilt. I have read on here and on the BITOG forums that a lot of people are using MaxLife or Amsoil with great results. I have decided that I am going to switch over in hopes of getting the most out of the trans. which fluid would you say is the best for a rebuilt trans Maxlife, Amsoil or mobil1 and should I add lubegard red to the mix. I do not do any towing and do plan to add a magnefine and a cooler real soon. I am leaning towards the maxlife plus lubegard red Iam just looking to get some more opinions on the best fluid.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am using MaxLife in my 2004. I bought the van a year ago, and did a 4x change out then. Shift quality is good. I just did a used oil analyis, and the Aluminum is high, so I will be changing the transfluid more often. For $17 a gallon, your ROI can't be beat. A quality oil.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought the van with 125,000 on it, and did the 4x the same week. The previous owner had done 3 pan changes only.
It was about 12K after that when I sent in the oil sample. I also drained the sump. I am going to drain another 3.5 quarts
tomorrow and try lubegard red. Can't hurt. Like I said, no problems but the analysis has me concerned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2003 Ody since new and have fed it with MaxLife ATF since 60K miles - about three years ago - with no problem (3 quarts drain and fill every year). It now has 90K miles and I just did a 3x drain and fill (total 9 quarts) with Castrol Multi-Import ATF. Somehow I feel like the Castrol Import ATF better - the Ody just driven a bit firmer and quicker (or is it just my imagination?). I think from now on I'll do a drain and fill every year with Castrol High-Mileage ATF and maybe a Red LubeGard ATF Protectant. Hopefully, the Ody's transmission will hold up for another 90K miles, but right now it shifts like new. Also, I bought the Castrol ATF at Advance Auto Parts online using coupon code (Google search) and picked up at local store for $4/quart including tax. Honda local dealer wanted ~$9/quart for DW-1 ATF. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
539 Posts
If you really want to get into this subject, check out this post on the Acura forum (Acura uses some of the same engines and transmissions as Honda):

Racing ATF - AcuraZine Community

After reading this, I have concluded that the Honda-recommended fluid is probably the worst thing you can put in there! After reading countless transmission-failure posts here, it would appear that regular changes of the Honda fluid do not necessarily ensure that the transmission will not fail prematurely. For minimal wear and longest life, a full-synthetic type F ATF sounds like the way to go.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yesterday I did a x2 drain and refill with Valvoline MaxLife and added lubegard red. I have to say it drives great the shifts are so much smoother and quicker now. What surprised me was the drain plug was completely clean. There was no clutch material crud what so ever and it has been 14.5k since the rebuild and the fluid has not been changed since. My next steps will be to add a cooler and a magnefine filter.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I have this on my list as well. I have an 01 ody with 76K. I have some slippage, esp during accel on right turns or quick accel on hills. Should I switch to MaxLife or Amsoil as well? I am tying to go through info on the inline filter add-on. In case I do not get a chance to replace, would you recommend the drain-fill first? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i come from that website AcuraZine since i used to own a 2004 acura tl for like 3 years. i have read that when ppl were using the honda z1 atf on their car it used to become dark sooner than expected and it was killing the tranny over a short period of time. then suddenly someone found out that by using RedLine Racing ATF on their honda or acura engine transmission was prolonging the life of their tranny by giving better shifts and not wearing the tranny as fast as the oem oil. furthermore they said that when you do this, to also change both the 3rd and 4th pressure switch of the transmission and you will notice a difference. he also stated that he's been doing this for more than 30k miles therefore he can recommend it to anyone who wants to protect their tranny and for last, if you add a cooler you will be better.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Thanks. I know I saw some thread before on the cooler add. I will search. I will check local stores or with Carquest on the RedLine Racing ATF. Amazon seems to have it.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Want to do a 3x drain-fill this weekend 1st. My fluid is dark. Last one was done with honda ATF DW1. Should I get whatever I can Amsoil/Castrol/RedLine and start the initial drain? I have to talk to the mechanic and see when I can replace the pressure switches. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts