Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey EX-RES with just about 160K miles. I am the original owner, have kept good maintenance records, and enjoyed it up until about 1 month ago when the transmission started to flare and then slip between 2nd and 3rd gears (somewhere between). I would attempt to accelerate and then experience the revving of the engine but no catching of the transmission (especially on even slight inclines). I'd have to get more speed or drop back down to have it engage. It's now become a bit worse lately and only happens after things are heated up. Anyway, just some background.

The van is in I would say decent condition. It looks great from the outside with normal scratches and dings, some light hail dents on the hood, surface rust only where the rear tailgate hinges reside, and normal wear to the front leather seats (cracking but no tears) and the rear seats are in good shape. All in all I would give it a 6.5-7 out of 10.

Carvana and Carmax would give me an estimated $100 for it. KBB says it's worth about $700.

Should I:

• Keep it and get another shop to tell me that this is common on 2003's and have the transmission replaced with a reconditioned one?
  • Try to sell it on Craiglist to someone who may want to fix it or part it out? Was thinking of selling it for about $600. Trying to.
  • Try to sell it to a junkyard so they can use it for parts? There are still a lot of this generation on the road.
  • Donate it to a charity and not worry too much about the write-off because I just take the standard deduction?
Any advice is great. I'm near Richmond VA.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
139 Posts
The biggest question for me is what else will the van need soon? Assuming it can go a few more years on the timing belt/water pump, suspension is in good shape, etc... and the transmission is the only thing it will "need" for a few years, I would get the transmission rebuilt (by a shop with a good reputation, not just any old shop) assuming the cost isn't too high (maybe around $2K). Friend of mine had an 01 MDX with 180K bought new that needed a transmission, spent $1500 for a rebuilt one about 4 years ago and I think he's up to 225K+ now.

However, if you think the car is due for some expensive maintenance/repairs soon, I'd get rid of it. Selling it on Craigslist for a few hundred is a good option.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do you want (or need) to keep the van for couple more years? If there’s nothing major due, ie timing belt job, I would get a rebuilt transmission and drive it till the wheel falls off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts