Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to the Cincinnati Auto Show this Sat. and were shocked to see an ODY exactly like the one we ordered sitting in the Honda section. Naturally, it was quite busy with people trying all the doors, levers and seat. Flipping open the DVD player and allowing their grubby kids (mine are never grubby
) climb all over the unprotected leather. I realize this is expected at an Auto Show, but several people obviously trying to locate just such an ODY inquired about purchasing it, the sales person stated it was not for sale and that they get the vans on a truck just for the show and they are returned. It even had a sign, "MFG vehicle, Not For Sale." on the sticker. Since it was our EXACT van, I noted the VIN.

This morning when I stopped by the dealer to check on the status of our van, there it sat. The same ODY from the show, VIN matched. Gone were the not for sale signs. I overheard a salesman talking with a customer who was looking at the van tell them they were asking MSRP.
I was floored! I know they have to get rid of the show cars, but no money off after 4 days of Auto Show abuse??!?! They weren't even planning to tell the customer, so I did
, discreetly as I was walking out.

I will be taking the check list when ours comes in and doing our service business elsewhere. Check the VIN's at those auto shows, never know when the info will come in handy.

------------------
2002 Redrock EXL-RES
2002 Explorer EB
A couple of bikes and feet that work too!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Excellent sleuthing and thanks for tipping us off!

Maybe those of us who visit auto shows just might post a few VINs here. I know I wouldn't want a vehicle that's been through that ordeal.

------------------
Regards,

Maugham
_ ________________________ _

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces
Rockport MW351 Brown Boots (for winter) and '00 Brown Laces

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe we should carve our initials in the dash so we will be able to recognize the vehicle later.

Shady Shady!

Let the infomed buyer beware!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
At past auto shows I have attended I have noted that a number of the cars on display do have a special VIN that indicates they are for show only. It seems as though this is more common of the Big 3 cars. I know Hyundai and Kias that were on display were going to market as they had their stickers, etc. and had no special VIN.
Eric
'02 GG EX-L 3800 Miles

·
Registered
9 Posts
There was an article recently in one of the Chicago papers about what happens to auto show cars. According to the article, D/C takes the high road and sells them as used. The article didn't mention other manufacturers. I guess we know about Honda now, right? I wonder if the dealer added on $800 for the "Auto Show Protection Package."

GGOdy

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ggody:
There was an article recently in one of the Chicago papers about what happens to auto show cars. According to the article, D/C takes the high road and sells them as used.</font>
But takes the lemon returns and sells them as new.

Can anyone figure out Chrysler?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Ody LX at the Detroit Auto Show was beat. There was a broken cupholder. The handle to move the second row seat was also broken. People just don't have any respect for other's property

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Reminds me of my 1.5yr salesman experience. One weekend we had a total 'spinmeister' come in to host a sales event, after pulling up in his Viper he wouldn't shut up in the morning sales meeting. He told a long winded story about how he sold a Cadillac that they roped off on purpose at a Boston dealership...on the premise that this was a vehicle featured at the recent Auto Show. As such it had been detailed/blue-printed/etc, 'holy water' from the Pope + manufacturer..you get the idea....so he finished his tale adding that he sold it for $3k over MSRP!!! After the dismal weekend, we all agreed that (A) he was full of it (B) that we worked at a third generation family owned dealership that didn't need these tactics....

------------------
2002 Silver EX
1996 VW Gti
1999 Pit Bull/Catahoula Leopard dogs
2000 Kenmore Vacuum with 5spd/adjustable suspension/Cyclonic cleaning/washable air filter/N.O.S. badge/racing stripes/100w headlight

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the those in the greater Cincinnati area looking for a RP EXL-RES, the VIN from the Auto Show model, last 6 535818

Probably would be a nice vehicle, but I surely would not pay MSRP for this USED ODY!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just curious, ODYWhereRU, which dealer was it, if you don't mind saying? I'm not sure it will make a difference where I get my Ody serviced (I have two small children and there is only one Greater Cincinnati dealer close to me), but I have some friends looking and want to make sure they stay away from any shady dealers. Thanks!

Carrie

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LuvMyRRPOdy:
Just curious, ODYWhereRU, which dealer was it, if you don't mind saying
Carrie
</font>
Jeff Wyler, Colerain. I have no complaints whatever about my salesperson, but he doesn't work at the dealership. I think Jeff Wyler is getting too big and is losing touch with what made him successful. We buy our cars through a fleet manager in Eastgate. He can sell us anything Wyler has to offer. Always a great experience with him, no pressure and he is very responsive. Keeps us above the pond scum lot rats that work at the dealership.

FWIW, for service we use Performance on Route 4, super job everytime. Shuttle service and a hand wash. Always looks great and the big part for us is they always do what they say they will do.

Again, the Auto Show ODY will probably be fine, my beef is selling it as a "new" car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ODYWhereRU:
Jeff Wyler, Colerain. I have no complaints whatever about my salesperson, but he doesn't work at the dealership. I think Jeff Wyler is getting too big and is losing touch with what made him successful. We buy our cars through a fleet manager in Eastgate. He can sell us anything Wyler has to offer. Always a great experience with him, no pressure and he is very responsive. Keeps us above the pond scum lot rats that work at the dealership.

FWIW, for service we use Performance on Route 4, super job everytime. Shuttle service and a hand wash. Always looks great and the big part for us is they always do what they say they will do.

Again, the Auto Show ODY will probably be fine, my beef is selling it as a "new" car.
</font>
FWIW, that exact van was one of my "false alarms" that I thought my long-awaited van had finally arrived (we finally took delivery in mid-January). We were also waiting for a RRP RES, but when I went up to inspect it I saw the auto show sticker. When I inquired I was told it had been delivered quite a while ago and that the dealership did not even have the keys. Given the auto show was last weekend expect that the van in question was parked outside for about 3 months with the auto show abuse on top of that.

Other than poor communication during our longer-than-promised wait, we were treated OK by Wyler. The closest dealer to us is actually Performance, and after the experience we had there in '99 I would consider going back to Chrysler or walking first, so to each his own I guess. Back then their deal was "forced aftermarket leather" and other add-ons.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by viper001:
The closest dealer to us is actually Performance, and after the experience we had there in '99 I would consider going back to Chrysler or walking first, so to each his own I guess</font>
We also had a bad experience at Performance with the sales staff on our last Accord. Figured that since they did a great job with service we'd give them a shot. Bad move. Wouldn't buy from them, but the service department has been great!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the info. We had looked at Wyler Colerain, but they wouldn't let us place a deposit on a 2002 van as early as Wyler Florence (they apparently operate completely independently). And the salesman, although nice, seemed like he didn't really know much about the product. Had to post this reply to attain my official "member" status.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts