Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SORRY if these tire comparisons have been discussed ad nauseam previously !

I expect sometime this summer I'll be getting new A/S tires, and was thinking it may be cheaper to buy them earlier in the year (or at least start price-shopping). At a popular national auto/hardware chain store, the popular OEM-size tires for my '09 EX-L are as follows:

(prices in Cdn$)

BF Goodrich Advantage T/A: $155
Michelin LX4 (mine): $168
GY Assurance Fuel Max: $156
General Altimax RT: $166

All four are within my comfort zone for pricing (LX4 is the only one not listed for mileage rating). So is there a "general" consensus as to the overall ranking of these four models ? Obviously the GY Assurance ComforTreds seems v. popular amongst Ody owners. I just want to get a sense of how these other 4 models compare ?

TIA.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
^ I should have said I don't intend on getting the Michelin LX4s again, so the comparison of 4 models would be between the BF Goodrich Advantage T/A, GY Assurance Fuel Max, GY Assurance ComforTred and the General Altimax RT. Sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I can't speak for the BF Goodrich tire but I did have the General Altimax HP on a VW Passat sedan in the past and currently have GY ComforTred Touring (latest version) installed on my Ody. The Altimax RT doesn't seem to be as good a tire as the HP. I chose the Assurance ConforTread Touring over the Assurance Fuel Max as it got better reviews from a variety of sources. I am pleased with how they have handled so far, including on a couple of road trips. I think ANYTHING would be better than the LX4!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks GOZ.

What is the difference between the GY Assurance ComforTred vs. Fuel Max ?

·
Registered
288 Posts
SK-Go to the Tire Rack website or even the Goodyear company website and you will see how they compare. The Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring is a "Grand Touring All Season" tire (like the Michelin MXV4s on my Accord) while the Assurance Fuel Max is an energy-efficient tire with low rolling resistance, which theoretically means better mileage. Look at the reviews, survey responses and tests on Tire Rack. Remember that the current ComforTreds are very different than the previous version. Another good choice among the GY tires would be the Assurance TripleTred All-Season, but they are more expensive and may have a lot of noise issues like the previous version of that tire did, probably because they are unidirectional.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SK-Go to the Tire Rack website or even the Goodyear company website and you will see how they compare. The Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring is a "Grand Touring All Season" tire (like the Michelin MXV4s on my Accord) while the Assurance Fuel Max is an energy-efficient tire with low rolling resistance, which theoretically means better mileage. Look at the reviews, survey responses and tests on Tire Rack. Remember that the current ComforTreds are very different than the previous version. Another good choice among the GY tires would be the Assurance TripleTred All-Season, but they are more expensive and may have a lot of noise issues like the previous version of that tire did, probably because they are unidirectional.
Great advise, thanks. This is what GY says:

Goodyear Tires | Car And Minivan Tires | Compare Car And Minivan Tires

Seems to me the CTs are best all-around tires vs. the FMax and TTs.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Great advise, thanks. This is what GY says:

Goodyear Tires | Car And Minivan Tires | Compare Car And Minivan Tires

Seems to me the CTs are best all-around tires vs. the FMax and TTs.
Yes, it is the best choice of the available Goodyear tires for the 05-10 Odyssey. There are other good choices from other tire companies but the CTT is the one to get from GY. BTW: I was feeling good buying the Goodyears (besides getting a discount and a $160 (US) rebate) thinking that the were made in the USA (GY is last American-owned tire company) But when I looked on the sidewall, guess where they were made? "Oh Canada!" LOL :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well then they've got to be good, eh ? ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts