Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried posting this over in a Pathfinder forum but with no responses (although it doesn't seem to be as active as this forum) so hoping someone here may have some insight.

I purchased an 07 Pathfinder with 32k mi on it a few weeks ago. Under the hood was a sticker labeled BG service with the transmission box checked and noted at 27k mi. I assume that means BG transmission service was performed at 27k mi (for the 30k mi service).

I can't seem to find any feedback on the BG service (good or bad). Anyone here ever have any experience with this type of service? Do they use OEM fluids? I sort of doubt it and that has me a little concerned. Nissans are recommended to use their ATF same a Honda.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
665 Posts
probably a transmission fluid flush. Wierd thing to do for a low mileage vehicle though. Does that pathfinder come with a transmission cooler? If not, I'd bet that it was overheated, started shifting funny so they took it in a shop, fluid was flushed, and sold it before any other issues showed up.

Reccomendation: put a transmission cooler on it. Swap out transmission fluid for synthetic. It'll probably last forever.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response.

yes, it has 2 coolers actually, one internal to the radiator and an external cooler with the towing package. shifts great, fluid clean as a whistle (after 6k mi). May just do the standard drain and fill over the next few thousand miles to switch it out to nissan atf.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'd make the switch to amsoil ATF but thats me and a few others on this forum who've had really good luck with it.

If its still clean after 6k leave it till you get to at least 25k then swap it out.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It just means that the prior owner got sold an expensive upgrade at the service counter, and to your benefit. BG is a leading retail service dept. provider of fluid change equip and marketing -- "sir, your power steering fluid is dark, like this tube here, compared to this tube of new fluid here, so we suggest our $79 BG flush." Change your brake fluid @ 2-3 yr intervals, no need to sign up for the BG version compared to regular.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
homer's van, thanks, that makes me feel a little better. I wonder if they use OEM fluids on their change? Probably no real way to know. Either way, it drives great so I'm not really concerned. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
nocode, judging by their adverts, I think they use either synthetic blends or synthetics. Kind of like those "get 5 qts synthetic plus an oil filter" for a low price at O'Reilly's. Not tops for fluids (tops being stuff like AmSOil or Mobil 1), but not bad at all, as far as I can tell. I looked at a couple different forums with different cars, searching for people who asked the question (I was curious, too), and somebody always seemed to pop up with a positive experience...shortly followed by someone posting that it was pretty pricey, especially compared to a DIY job..

It sounds like an expensive fluid change service with decent fluids to match the NissanMatic (sp?) fluid spec (or whatever you drive into their service bay).

OF

·
Registered
346 Posts
The dealers who use BG use fluids compatible with the OEM, but you'll not get off-shelf brand full synthetic unless a car's OEM maker specifies it (VW/Audi group and certain GM/Ford hi-performance engines come to mind). It's a Nissan. It got new fluid at a dealer. It's fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts