Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any aftermarket kit that offers mounting in the back of Odyssey instead of on the roof rack ? I think I saw a Toyota van with bike in the back before.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Honda makes one. Check any of the normal places for prices, e.g. hondapartsforyou.com, handa, etc.

If you look at the installation instructions you'll find that it's a pretty simple product. Assuming that you can find a front wheel skewer (I'm sure these are readily available) you should be able to fabricate your own for a couple of bucks.

Mel

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TurboRT:
Is there any aftermarket kit that offers mounting in the back of Odyssey instead of on the roof rack ? I think I saw a Toyota van with bike in the back before.</font>
Are you reffering to a mount inside the van ?
I have a Saris bike mount in the rear which I installed myself. Paid $19 at www.nashbar.com
Apparently Honda wants to charge an arm and a leg for this part.As for the front wheel, I just lay it flat on the floor,don't really need a mount for that since it'll get in the way when hauling other cargo.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am really looking for something attached behind the tail gate. Any input/suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Turbort, I have only seen bike racks that fit an existing trailer hitch. They are generally good and keep the bikes away from the tail gate. I don't know of any racks that strap to the tailgate. If it were me I'd be safe and install a proper swing out hitch mounted rack.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Canodyssey,

You are right. I think that is what I saw on a Toyota van. Any recomendation for the hitch mounted kit ?

·
Registered
301 Posts
You might want to check out hiddenhitch.com. They have some nice racks. I do not presently have a bike rack so I can't give any first hand experience at the moment.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Is a bike some sort of fuel saving device??

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
45 Posts
Apparently Honda wants to charge an arm and a leg for this part.As for the front wheel, I just lay it flat on the floor,don't really need a mount for that since it'll get in the way when hauling other cargo.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Do you have a part number or a specific part name that can be found on Nash's website?
$19.00..I'm *real* interested.

·
Registered
45 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grantbo:

</font>
Do you have a part number or a specific part name that can be found on Nash's website?
$19.00..I'm *real* interested.[/B][/QUOTE]

Ok, to answer my own question, I did a little search of the good ole Net. I found a "Traps Front Fork Mount" that would appear to work perfectly in the rear of the Ody.
I believe this is what Rob reviously referred to. Two of these mounts can be secured to a 4ft 1x6 in a staggered side-by-side fashion, to make a completely removable interior bike rack. With my two bikes stored upright, there should be plenty of room for my daughters "tag-a-long" bike.

Check it out: www.lickbike.com/i4042350.htm

------------------
Grant
'02 SS Ody Ex
'92 Prelude Si

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Grantbo,
The Traps mount is also a good deal.If you are carrying 2 or more bikes, staggering is definitely a good idea.I've fit 3 adult sized bikes side-by-side and still had space for another 1.And this is with the 2nd row still up!
I actually mounted it permanently to the floor. I had to peel off the carpet, the the bottom cushion of the 3rd row. The I bolted it down to the bare metal.Used threadlock just to be sure. The bikes kinda move from side to side even with the fork mount so what I do is use a ratchet strap to hold down the rear (attatch the hooks to the 3rd row mounting hooks on each side of the van).

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

1 - 11 of 11 Posts