Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experiences/recommendations on bike carriers (Honda/Yakima/Thule)? I need to carry 2 adult bikes and 3 kids bikes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I do not own one of these yet but this is one that I've got my eye on. Check out this swing away bike carrier that goes behind the Odyssey. It swings away so you can still get into the back of the van.
AW!
Of course their site is having some sort of server difficulty today so I can't post a picture but check out the web site tomorrow and who knows.
www.autoaccessories.com

Here's another I just found at http://www.accessconnect.com/bike.htm

The Swing Away OSI Bike Rack allows complete access to the rear of the vehicle when the bike rack is open. Swings parallel to the vehicle with an easy to reach bolt and a quick release safety lever. Key locking mechanism holds bikes firmly in place without rattling. Rubber lined grooves hold bike firmly in place without scratching the finish.

2" receiver, holds 3 bikes: SKU#DBR300 $199.90

2" receiver, holds 4 bikes: SKU#DBR400 $239.90

Swing Away 2 bike pedal mount also available at: $239.90

Ships FREE in the US 48 states

[This message has been edited by LovenLifeInMyOdy (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the Thule rack that fits into a 2" receiver that holds 4 bikes. I've had it on the back of a Jeep for three years and have disliked it from day one! There are too many moving parts, hence it has always been too wobbly. It has done the job, but I wouldn't get one again. A friend of mine had one and the weld broke, so the dragged their bikes a couple miles before they noticed. THule reimbursed them $500 but didn't even cover the cost of one mountain bike.

------------------
Susan
'01 SS EX, cargo tray
'96 Grand Cherokee
'89 Accord LXi
'89 Kawasaki ZX600R

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey its summer time and I've got 4 bikes to take on trips as well. Has anyone tried out the Yakima RocNGate?
Yakima RocNGate It carries 4 bikes in the 2" Trailer hitch and appears to be solid due to the bolt the connects the swinging arms together. I don't have any experience with these hitch mount bike carriers, so any comments would be helpful.

We are having the Honda trailer hitch installed next week at our dealer, so I'll post some photos of what the hitch looks like.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the responses. I figure the adult bikes can go on top, with hitch-mounted rack for at least two of the kids' bikes. The swing-down feature of the hitch-mount is nice (I have a spare tire rack for my Trooper and when the bikes are tied, it is an ordeal to get something out of the cargo area). Thanks for the link LovenLife.

As I've always had this recurring nightmare that a bike would somehow slip-off the back and cause a massive pileup, I'm concerned by VTMom's report that the Thules are wobbly and of poor quality.

I'll try to check-out the Yakimas first hand this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts