Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions on how to carry the bikes to the park? We have 5 total (2 adult bikes and 3 kids bikes). Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
great thread as I was thinking about the same thing today :)
I think a bike rack can be connected to where you connect the towing tongue, but I am not sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you have a tow package there are racks that will fit into the 2" receiver and haul 5 bikes.

I fold down the rear seats and use a 2X4 with fork blocks, I can get 3 bikes inside. I might be able to stuff 5 in if I got creative, never tried.

You could get a roof rack, but I hate them and don't recommend them to anybody. Sooner or later you will forget the bikes are up there and drive them into a garage or something.

A light trailer can haul enough bikes for a tour de france team.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Anyone have any suggestions on how to carry the bikes to the park? We have 5 total (2 adult bikes and 3 kids bikes). Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Install a hitch and get a bike hitch mount rack. You can get some that hold up to 5 bikes. Or, you could install a roof mount and mount some up there. Or, you do a combination of both including putting some in the back of the van. Do not bother with the type that uses straps, the plastic piece at the top of the tailgate will not support the weight.

Search Amazon, they have plenty to chose from.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm personally hoping that Yakima will eventually fit my roof, as I've had this system for years, typically transferable between vehicles, usually just a matter of buying clips specific to vehicles. The 2010 Odyssey's can put the Q towers on, but the 2011's are yet to be fitted, at least on their website.

When we bought the first year of the last gen civic, it was the same, and I actually called Yakima to get the fit which they had, and took a while before the website was updated, but haven't yet called for the Odyssey as I don't have an immediate need with the increased space in the van for bikes. I'm hoping that they will fit it as I'd prefer to only put that rack on when needed rather than permanent rails.

Saying all that, the fuel economy is probably better with hitch mounted system, though you'll loose access to the hatch if on a long trip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Saying all that, the fuel economy is probably better with hitch mounted system, though you'll loose access to the hatch if on a long trip.
Some of the receiver mounted racks fold down and allow the hatch to open with bikes still mounted.

·
Banned
727 Posts
Thule makes a platform hitch that fits into a 2" receiver hitch. It holds 4 bikes and folds out of the way to allow access to the hatch. The bike holder is quick, secure and easy to use. It is expensive though. I'd dismiss the roof rack idea, I find it hard to get 2 bikes up and down (never mind 4) and there is a 15 - 20% fuel economy penalty as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thule makes a platform hitch that fits into a 2" receiver hitch. It holds 4 bikes and folds out of the way to allow access to the hatch. The bike holder is quick, secure and easy to use. It is expensive though. I'd dismiss the roof rack idea, I find it hard to get 2 bikes up and down (never mind 4) and there is a 15 - 20% fuel economy penalty as well.
We used this rack on our 2000 Ody - worked great! Still have the rack but no hitch on the new Ody....rack is for sale if anyone is interested:DD

·
Registered
69 Posts
hitch

our yakima hitch rack (folds down to open trunk) hold 4 bikes. i'd throw the last one in the trunk (easy to do for the kids bike or even adult bike if you pull off the wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
I guess I never researched the hitch mounted racks much, but good to know!

·
Registered
29 Posts
On our '05 Ody and our current '11 Ody, we have a Thule tow-hitch-mount rack that holds five. It requires the tow package (or another type of 2" hitch).

Works well, never had a problem. The rubber pieces that hold the bikes are kinda large and very sturdy, which is great for stability/secure connections, but can make it a little difficult to get smallish kids bikes on there. My son's 20" bike works totally fine, but my daughter's 16" bike required a bit of experimentation before I figured out how to get it on there securely.

I'd recommend hitting a local bike shop. They'll walk you through the options and help you mount the bike the first time. Might be a little more expensive, but worth it to me, for sure.

Good luck!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can someone provide some links?

Is it possible to add a hitch (by myself) to the van without the whole tow package?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure if you're looking for links to the carriers or for hitches, but here's the link to the bike carrier we have:

Thule-915XT Roadway

Simple to put on the car and take off, built extremely well.

As for the hitches, we went with the Honda version because of the clean look and no future warranty/resale issues of a hitch without the ATF Cooler.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can someone provide some links?

Is it possible to add a hitch (by myself) to the van without the whole tow package?

If you want to install the hitch yourself, try checking here: 2011 Honda Odyssey Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com. Of course, you can also try the Honda OEM hitch, which looks nice, gives more clearance, but more expensive.

Find the hitch you like; other than the OEM, you can also check amazon.com and ebay.com to compare prices to those on etrailer.com.

Installation is straight-forward. I bought the Curt Class III hitch. No drilling was required. As others have mentioned, if you install the hitch, you should install the ATF cooler; otherwise, you may void the transmission warranty. If the trans goes, and the dealership technician/service manager sees the hitch, then he'll blame you for towing something heavy without the ATF cooler.

·
Banned
727 Posts
Not sure if you're looking for links to the carriers or for hitches, but here's the link to the bike carrier we have:

Thule-915XT Roadway

Simple to put on the car and take off, built extremely well.

As for the hitches, we went with the Honda version because of the clean look and no future warranty/resale issues of a hitch without the ATF Cooler.
Might also want to consider the platform style receiver bike rack. Easy to put bikes on and off and all of the bikes rest securely at the same angle without need to bungee the front wheels so they don't bang into the car or the other bikes. More expensive though.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Here are pics of my Yakima rack when I had the 2nd gen ody. It would swing away fully loaded so that I could access the hatch. This is one feature I could do without. Just another consideration.

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
Here are pics of my Yakima rack when I had the 2nd gen ody. It would swing away fully loaded so that I could access the hatch. This is one feature I could do without. Just another consideration.
Love the color, I wish you could get the 4th gen in it.

That's quite the load, I see a lot of Ody's (and others) loaded down heading north on I-95 to do some biking and camping here in Maine.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Love the color, I wish you could get the 4th gen in it.

That's quite the load, I see a lot of Ody's (and others) loaded down heading north on I-95 to do some biking and camping here in Maine.
Yep, we were loaded and on our annual camping trip to the Pinery, an Ontario provincial park on the shores of Lake Huron. Beautiful spot with lots of sand dunes. Forgot to mention that the van was also equipped with air lifts to keep the rear end from bottoming out.

·
Registered
739 Posts
We have the swing-away Yakima 4. It's very hard to get 4 bikes on there, not the kind of thing I would do for a swing to the park, but it's doable for less-frequent camping trips, etc. You can get a swing-away 5 now I believe, would get that if you have 4. For five, probably go the platform route, or throw one in the car, or hitch 3 and put 2 on top. Any way you cut it, that's a lot of work and $$$.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts