1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
There does seem to be a few people lately having there a/c systems fixed. I hope this is not a start to something.

·
Super Moderator
13,837 Posts
I remember reading a thread or two for this. But didn't think it was common. I did know about the same problem with CRVs though.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Hating the fourth generation '11, I was all set to buy a '10 but these reported AC problems are now giving me pause.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Not common for the Odyssey.

The 2002 CR-V compressor is a KEIHIN brand from Japan and Great Britain. The 1999-2004 Odyssey's compressor is a different part and is a DENSO brand. The 2005+ Odyssey's compressor is also a different part and is manufactured in the USA.

·
Registered
369 Posts
"New Dad Van" is spot on. The issue in question was not an issue on Ody's, it was many CR-V's prior to model year 2003.

The the OP, the shop is also spot on. If you really do have metal shavings, may be ask to see them so you can have peace of mind knowing they arent just assuming. If so, they are doing the job correctly.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Tri-C said:
Hating the fourth generation '11, I was all set to buy a '10 but these reported AC problems are now giving me pause.
The forums hear about problems...not the vans that are trouble free.

Note that this has been the hottest summer for MANY cities across the US. A/C's everywhere are working VERY hard this year. Of course there will be more failures with more use.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The A/C is covered under the extended HondaCare Warranty, isn't it?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Tri-C said:
I wouldn't prevent that from letting you buy it. Plus there is not may 10's left so it may get harder and harder to find the one you want.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I seen horror stories about the Black Death...I due know for a fact that in the compressor is change that the drier and orifice tube needs replacing also!

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
RinconVTR said:
...Note that this has been the hottest summer for MANY cities across the US. A/C's everywhere are working VERY hard this year. Of course there will be more failures with more use.
Just to piggyback on the above truism, on top of this continental heat wave, "black death" occurs across all brands and makes. It happens.

Auto A/C systems do not last as long as engines do these days. I don't know if they ever did, except in the really old days when we all used R12 and auto A/C compressors were grossly overbuilt. I recall that compessors used to be twice the size of what they are now across all sizes and makes of cars, and the receiver/driers were the size of a 20 oz. pop bottle.

In the quest to save weight, compressors and A/C components have gotten smaller. In the quest to save the ozone layer, they run some pretty high pressures to make R134a (and its new replacement refrigerant) work well enough.

The compressor in my 86 CRX (R12 system) was the same size as the one in each of my Odys.
tC_demon said:
I seen horror stories about the Black Death...I due know for a fact that in the compressor is change that the drier and orifice tube needs replacing also!
For our Odys, the drier (with its filter) is on the driver's side of the A/C condensor, if I recall correctly (I have the parts, awaiting the day I have to change my noisy compressor). Our Ody A/C's don't use an orifice tube, they are TXV (thermal expansion valve) systems. They're downstream of that filter in our Hondas, so thank God we don't have to dig in and replace that in the event of a compressor failure.

yatesd, this just got my attention....they say they have to replace your condensor? There's a very fine filter where that compressor outlet line connects to the condensor. Did all (or some) of that stuff really get past the filter?

I don't have the time, but this sure makes me want to braze in an inline monster-sized liquid or gas line (or both) filter:

OF

·
Registered
469 Posts
0dyfamily said:
Just to piggyback on the above truism, on top of this continental heat wave, "black death" occurs across all brands and makes. It happens.

Auto A/C systems do not last as long as engines do these days. I don't know if they ever did, except in the really old days when we all used R12 and auto A/C compressors were grossly overbuilt. I recall that compessors used to be twice the size of what they are now across all sizes and makes of cars, and the receiver/driers were the size of a 20 oz. pop bottle.

In the quest to save weight, compressors and A/C components have gotten smaller. In the quest to save the ozone layer, they run some pretty high pressures to make R134a (and its new replacement refrigerant) work well enough.

The compressor in my 86 CRX (R12 system) was the same size as the one in each of my Odys. For our Odys, the drier (with its filter) is on the driver's side of the A/C condensor, if I recall correctly (I have the parts, awaiting the day I have to change my noisy compressor). Our Ody A/C's don't use an orifice tube, they are TXV (thermal expansion valve) systems. They're downstream of that filter in our Hondas, so thank God we don't have to dig in and replace that in the event of a compressor failure.

yatesd, this just got my attention....they say they have to replace your condensor? There's a very fine filter where that compressor outlet line connects to the condensor. Did all (or some) of that stuff really get past the filter?

I don't have the time, but this sure makes me want to braze in an inline monster-sized liquid or gas line (or both) filter:

OF
Oh ok, I was wondering what was that for...By any chance do you know what type noise or symptoms that expansion valve does when its about to crap out? My Acura TSX makes this wooooot noise (comes from the center vents) after I come to a complete stops (comes and goes, with ac on) more noticeable on warmer days.
Took it to the dealer but they were useless on duplicating the sound, but of course as soon as I drove off the dealership it made the noise about 5 times to the house.
I been told by a former Acura mechanic (now a Ferrari Mechanic, so he knows his ****), by what am describing to him sounds like a faulty expansion valve but can't be sure it is until he hears it. Oh when I mention about the expansion valve no one at Acura knew what it was, made me feel so comfortable that I was leaving my car in good hands! Well one thing for sure my TSX was return with no damage! :D

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
tC_demon said:
...By any chance do you know what type noise or symptoms that expansion valve does when its about to crap out?
I've never heard of a TXV making those types of plainly audible sounds that can be heard above the usual noise generated by the cabin fan system. That doesn't mean it can't do it.

OF

·
Registered
469 Posts
I was able to record a video of the noise on my phone if there's a way to post a video?...You Tube?

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
We had one of the members post a video to have some of our forum members diagnose what he thought was an annoying valvetrain tapping. I don't see why this wouldn't work as well, either.

The only limitation is the really small microphones on today's small video devices (videocams, point-and-shoots w/ video capability, cell phone cams w/ vid capability). Believe it or not, those big old Sony Digital 8 camcorders using tape (and others like them) had great built-in mics and very good recording fidelity for us Joe consumers.

TXV's really only "fail" in a couple ways.
1.) Corrosion, which causes them to stop working, period.
2.) Ice, which can limit or stop them from working.
3.) Leaking...but then, the whole A/C system stops working.

I got this out of my Helm manual.

OF

1 - 16 of 16 Posts