Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I had an issue with my van shuddering going up steep inclines. It's not a transmission issue I was told by the dealer. It's an oil issue. The pressure switch was replaced, the oil screen replaced. The oil light has been flickering when the car was idling. Not it's flashing. Have any of you had issues like this? Do you know what the problem could be?

2001 Odyssey.

Craig

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
You need to get the actual oil pressure checked. The dealer needs to remove the oi pressure sender and use an actual gauge. If okay then you have an electrical issue and not an oil pressure issue.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
When was the last oil and filter change?

Check the oil pressure switch again using the attached troubleshooting. Check oil pressure like mentioned above. If NOT within specs (see attached again), check the screen again and the oil pump.

Don't hold off on this.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Lets start simple. Did you actually check the oil level?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's about mid cycle from the last oil change with about 1000 miles to go (change every 3K). The levels look good. The dealer mentioned "sludge" in the engine that could effect this. Is there a way to get this out? Drop the oil pan?

I'll check the screen again. Is the pump known to go out?

Craig

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, is the oil pressure switch hard to replace? The part if only $10, would be worth to do it for me. Just spoke with the dealer, they replaced the spool valve, 3rd pressure switch on the transmission and haven't solved the problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
an engine oil pressure issue wouldn't cause the van to shudder going up hills. If the pressure was low enough that you could actually feel the increased friction/drag, you would have probably already spun a bearing.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Maybe the oil filter failed and is not letting full pressure through? Low pressure would limit the VTEC I think.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's done it on 3 different oil filters. Same issue over and over.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Google following terms

"Bob is the oil guy" + "kreen" + "Trav"

You will hit lots and lots of information if this is the sludge problem. However, I thought it was only limited to later model Odyssey and the ones which had bad oil change history.

- Vikas

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Google following terms

"Bob is the oil guy" + "kreen" + "Trav"

You will hit lots and lots of information if this is the sludge problem. However, I thought it was only limited to later model Odyssey and the ones which had bad oil change history.

- Vikas
Are those additives legit? Has anyone tried this on the Odyssey?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update

We checked out the oil pressure and it tested fine. Could it be the oil pressure switch working intermittently? Also, would it worth it to pull the pan off and check for sludge, clean it out, put in a new filter down there, then see?

Thanks for the advice fellas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oil Problem Update

Thought I would provide an update on our van. We are in Bozeman, MT with it in the shop. The cool part, another dealer is covering the cost (they had not fixed the problem while replacing the spool valve assembly, 3 pressure switch on the transmission). The original dealer probably doesn't want to see me again. On my own, I replaced the oil pressure switch. The code P1259 keeps coming on when the "incident" happens.

So, they are a couple days into it (not going at it all day, but when they can get to it), so I'm not being charged a ton of hours. He promised low cost on finding out what the problem is. I've been given $300 towards the diagnostic. The dealer says they will honor it.

They have gone through the van, cleaned various parts, still searching for the problem. The next step is to drop the pan and see if there is sludge or something blocking the pick up for the oil.

The history is: While we are going up inclines or "goosing it", the engine kicks down and at about 3800 RPM's, the engine shudders/sputters, not sure which. The check engine light and the TCS comes on.

Have any of you gotten to this point? If so, what's happened to your ride? New engine??? Safe to drive it back to MI? 1500 miles or so...

I'm trying to get my homework done here, if they can't find the problem, I'm probably looking at a new engine or van...

Hope to hear from you,

Craig

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys,

The dealer called. There was metal shavings in the oil pan. They cleaned it out, put it back in. The oil light is still coming on. They say shavings look like the main bearing. I asked about the oil pump being done, but they didn't think so. There is no knocking or other odd noises. I believe the oil light ONLY comes on when it's under 1000 RPM's, when it does this, it flickers, then it will come on steady if I don't move it past 1000.

Here are options they are presenting me.

1) Replacing the main bearings and other internal items. (They haven't pulled the main bearing cap yet, apparently that is rather involved). If this is the problem, we are looking at $1500. If they tear into it and it's not the problem, there is paying for that cost...

2) A new engine.

3) Put a heavier weight oil in the engine and drive it home.

We have a drive back to MI in the next couple days as we are in Bozeman. Any thoughts, advice would be greatly appreciated. We are a bit stuck here...

Craig

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Hard to say. If you're daring go for the heavier oil to get home. I wouldn't put much money into the motor assuming it's a big fix. Used motors are cheap because there's so many that are still running great when the van is retired or crashed. I wouldn't buy a "new" motor. You can see there's a bunch of them on E-bay from $400 to $600. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Using heavier oil to fix is 1960's thinking. It will not fix anything. ;(
Of course there are "shavings" after 160+k. The bearings? They are guessing, not diagnosing.
If it was my van, get them to clean the screen on the oil pick up tube (10 minutes) and put the pan back on. Fill with 5/30 and a new filter. Drive home and decide then.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts