Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The front Blower Motor stopped working mid-summer in my sister's 2003 Honda Odyssey. At that time replaced the motor and it's been running fine until a couple of weeks ago. Checked the fuse, no break checks out fine. So I had my nephew pull the motor so I could check it when I had a chance to run over to their house. He just sent me a picture of the plug on the wiring harness side, it appears enough heat was generated at this plug between the harness and motor to melt the plastic plug and the wires give me the impression of smoke stain. My concern is WHY didn't the fuse blow? It certainly appears that to generate that kind of heat the load should have been high enough to trip the fuse.

The plug will have to be replaced does anyone know if there's a part number for the plug on the harness that can be ordered to replace? If not I assume my best bet is find one in junk yard and replace it with that, and a last resort is by-pass the plug and hook the leads from harness directly to the motor. Of course then the possibility of a fire is more likely as the failing plug may have stopped a fire starting in this situation.
(edited to add picture and clarify post above)

·
Registered
4 Posts
The fuse didn't blow because the heat built up over time. A poor electrical connection caused increased resistance in the connection. This results in energy generating heat. A quick fix is to replace the male and female connectors on each pair of wires with commonly used connectors found at any auto parts store. It't best to use a good wire crimping tool, since a high current goes thru these wires. Just cut off all the existing connectors and connect new ones.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
I would solder the wires together.

This would eliminate the chance of another charring incident, especially if the power rating of the replacement generic connector is unknown. (The original connector is not available from Honda.)

The downside would be a more difficult blower replacement in the future, although the blower failure rate is low.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts