Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Blower Motor Resistor Failure -cause??

20K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  hpark21 
#1 ·
On our vacation this summer, the blower motor resistor on our 05 odyssey went out. Thanks to these forums we were able to find the part and replace it with no problem and were back on the road in no time. However, after about 3 months the resistor went out again. Same symptoms. (No front blower) Warrantied the part and replaced it and it worked fine. Then two weeks later the resistor failed again. Obviously something is causing this resistor failure, but we are unsure what it could be. We would appreciate any ideas to try and fix the source of the problem. We have 170K and our Odyssey still drives great - we're not ready to trade it in just yet!!:)

#2 ·
Are you replacing the failed part with OE Honda parts, or with Autozone cheapie stuff?

There are good aftermarket manufacturers, like Standard Intermotor, Beck/Arnley, etc that are literally OE parts in a different box, built to the original specs by the original suppliers.

If you van is *not* a Touring, the part number for a good one would be RU-438, expect to pay about $100-120.00 for the part.

#13 ·
HOW can I get to the blower motor resistor on my 2005 LX (should be the same),,,? I got the glove box out, one of the tabs broke while removing it... but thats not where it is. I need to get UNDER the dash, but there's a thin black plastic "tray" which has a thin what looks like a filter on it... I pulled down the forward edge of it, but I dont want to BREAK the rest of it out. How do I safely remove it to access the resistor? Or am I in the wrong place? A YouTube showed it being on the passenger side, under the dash, from the floor, up on the left against the firewall, up to just about even with the bottom edge of the glove box. Am I looking in the right place? How do I remove that thin plastic cover/sheet? TIA

#15 ·
No, not from what I've seen on the "2005 cabin air filter" youtube. Looked like the glove box is removed, and the cabin air filter is a "cartridge" about an inch or two thick.

This is really a very thin sheet at the very UNDERbelly of that area, beneath/behind the glove box - accessible without removing the glove box - and extending all the way across the passenger side under-dash area. It's very flexible, and I easily pulled it down, but the front of it was still attached - I didn't want to break it off.

It has a very thin "filter fabric", like a few paper towels... ok that COULD be the cabin air filter. The youtube video for the 2005 odyssey blower resistor has a dashboard that doesnt match mine, so maybe the one I saw for the cabin filter was also the wrong vehicle. Un fortunately, that video starts either with this lowest "panel" already removed, or its a different vehicle.

Mine is a very basic model. I used to have an '01 or '02 Odyssey that had all the bells and whistles.

I still got conflicting info what the most basic one is... EX? LX? It doesn't even have electric back doors...

Thanks!

#16 ·
You are probably talking about "D" which is the air filter HOUSING. Normally, LX model (probably what you have) does NOT have dust/pollen filter, BUT you can install it as tray is still there which is what you are seeing probably.

Below, it talks about undoing clips from "blower power transistor" Is this what you need to replace? Unfortunately, the manual does not go into specifics on how to replace the transistor.

If you want to remove whole blower motor unit all together, then you will have to CUT the plastic cover according to the manual.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.